flurocarbon line

bulldogs195461

i decided to put flurocarbon on a second rod so i didnt need to tie leaders,making life easier i thought,i got vanish 6 ib put on by my local tackle shop.easier,like hell ,it tangled and was cr-p to handle,for me anyhow,is this its usual behavour,bl----dy hell.so i will go to braid which i find great,now my second question,whats the easiest,foolproof,quickest,strongest knot for joining leaders/fluro etc.the one i learnt keeps breakng after tying,the mono seems to shear the braid

cheers john

There's a difference between flouro designed for leader and as a main line. Usually in stiffness, I think this is where you'll find the problem.

As for leader knots I tie this
/>http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3388/cci16012011000002758362.jpg

+
/>http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8129/cci16012011000012903531.jpg

Fast and easy and strong

If you want to run flouro straight through I wouldn't recommend vanish, I had it on a reel little while ago and it was terrible as you have found out. I am currently using Sunline FC sniper and it is great and doesn't cost the earth. To be honest though I wouldn't bother using it straight through over 4lb as I don't think it will be as a good braid/leader setup. As for the knot learn a few different ones and you'll be covered, they are all good and you will find yourself in situations where one knot might not work as well as the other and vice versa.

Knots I use regularly depending on mainline and leader size are:-

Double uni - good all round knot that is easy to tie in windy/rough conditions and it works for most general fishing line sizes but can be bulky with larger leader diameters.

Improved albright- I use this one when tying a heavier leader to a very light mainline, I use the improved for this as I find the lighter braids will slip otherwise. It is very slim so will glide through the guides well.

Albright- this is my go to for heavier setups <10lb main with a heavy flouro or mono leader, same deal as the improved albright, it is slim and flows nicely through the guides. I find the extra wraps of the improved are not necessary for heavier lines which makes this one easier and quicker to tie.

Slim beauty- I don't use this one much as it can be fiddly to tie but it is a handy one to know as it is as the name suggests, very slimline. When I use this one it is in place of a double uni but I tie it at home and if I have to re tie on the water I usually just go for a double uni or improved albright for ease.

Blood to blood- a good knot for joining two lengths of mono or flouro together, it is easy to tie and strong.

Cheers Ant :)

Surfingant absolutely nailed it with the response and you'd do well to listen to his advice. +1 for sunline fluoro, basic fc and line system all bass is not too bad if you're on a budget. Learn those knots and you should be covered for light line applications but be sure to try the kaneit knot as a neat substitute to a double uni.

Archived