Carp Recipes Who is game.?(link now works)

rayke1938

• 1 year later...

Fairly wide brush to use, then again it is a very broad statement.. I think you would find, that Europeans in the late 1800s were credited with bringing carp in, so they could stock their dams and some waterways, with no understanding of their potential to damage our native species. A couple of lots were again introduced in the mid 1900s these unfortunately found their way into the Murray-Darling systems and floods there after spread them near and far.

• 6 years later...
On 26/12/2020 at 12:21 PM, SuperHans said:

Have never fished for carp, but have been told that the primo bait for them is tinned corn

Yep, I've heard that too Hans. They're supposed to have a good fight as well, which is probably why they get the name 'Mud Marlin".

You're supposed to leave them in clean water (alive) for a couple days before eating as it gets the bad taste out.

Cheers Hamish

• 1 month later...

Few handfulls of salt after you place them in clean water a few times till muddiness does not show. If camping alongside Riverbed where you caught them it pays to carry with you a swag of old Newspapers you no longer have use for.

After your carp comes up clean from the above , fill the gut cavity with celery , onion , carrot  along with some butter.

Wrap the carp whole in plenty of Newspaper , throw the bundle in in the ashes of your campfire , cover with ash and let cook for at least an hour.

Pull newspaper wrapping from ashes and as you unfold all the scales should come away stuck to the newspaper.

You will have to put up with sorting through the bones in this cookup but not that bad a dish for in the Sticks if your rabbit traps came up empty 🙂 , and fills the void..

S

3 hours ago, Volvo said:

Few handfulls of salt after you place them in clean water a few times till muddiness does not show. If camping alongside Riverbed where you caught them it pays to carry with you a swag of old Newspapers you no longer have use for.

After your carp comes up clean from the above , fill the gut cavity with celery , onion , carrot  along with some butter.

Wrap the carp whole in plenty of Newspaper , throw the bundle in in the ashes of your campfire , cover with ash and let cook for at least an hour.

Pull newspaper wrapping from ashes and as you unfold all the scales should come away stuck to the newspaper.

You will have to put up with sorting through the bones in this cookup but not that bad a dish for in the Sticks if your rabbit traps came up empty 🙂 , and fills the void..

S

Fergot to mention that Newspapers should be soaked prior to wrapping fish in.

On 04/01/2013 at 7:41 AM, rayke1938 said:

You will have to go to NSW to try these as it is not legal to keep carp in qld.

/>http://www.lachlan.cma.nsw.gov.au/downloads/Publications/Carp_recipe_booklet.pdf

Cheers

Ray

Are you sure of that?  In SA it is illegal to return carp to the water,  We have very fat pelicans........

but you can keep for other uses.  Many use then for cray and crab bait.  One company produces fertiliser...

On 01/02/2021 at 8:08 PM, Kenne said:

I can still remember a long time ago about 30 years or more I was at a caravan park at Mildura on the Murry River and carp were swimming around near the bank and were eating cigarette butts. Was a Dutch guy there and he told me there good to eat.  No Thanks not for me

The carp or the butts?