Smart Tilapia

fifis101

Hey guys,

I went down the Kedron Brook this arvo hoping to catch my first Tilapia.

Walked the 500 or so metres between the Bradshaw St bridge and the Gympie Rd bridge to see if I could spot a few.

I saw a heap of turtles in the deeper water up near the Bradshaw St bridge so I stayed away from them. Though I did catch one by hand about the size of a 50c piece so the wife could have a pat.

post-11477-144598903207_thumb.jpg

When I got down near the Gympie Rd bridge I found about half a dozen about 35cm+. They seemed to be sitting in nests of cleared out sand about one metre in diameter.

I tried everything I could but couldn't get them to eat my bait. I was even landing the bait right in front of them and they didn't even give it a sniff. I was using peeled prawns from the supermarket. I would have thought that they would have gone for that? I found a group of about a dozen smaller ones and they were smashing my bait but no hook-ups as their mouths were too small for my bait.

It was driving me nuts :angry: . I was only metres away from these fish but may as well been a mile away.

Was I just using the wrong bait or was it the fact that they knew I was there so it put them off?

Archived