What costs are fair to share with a deckie??

crazywalrus

Hey guys - I am just wanting a discussion on what is fair. I am not in anyway complaining just wanting to discuss what is fair as a contribution towards costs from a Decky. All my deckys have been good by the way. Here are some costs to consider

1. Fuel for the boat

2. Fuel for the tow vehicle

3. Bait

4. Tackle

5. Ice

6. refreshments

7. Cost of servicing

8. Cost of depreciation

Personally I have applied 1, 3, 5, and 6

Cheers Ted

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

costs to consider

1. Fuel for the boat

3. Bait

4. Tackle( bring your own )

5. Ice

5. refreshments ( Bring Your own)

6. Cost of servicing (well this one is very open.. maybe a little donation??)

7. Cost of depreciation

i dont know ted good point to bring up m8..

costs to consider

1. Fuel for the boat

3. Bait

4. Tackle( bring your own )

5. Ice

5. refreshments ( Bring Your own)

6. Cost of servicing (well this one is very open.. maybe a little donation??)

7. Cost of depreciation

i dont know ted good point to bring up m8..

If you have to service the boat every 100 hours and the average cost is $450 than it would be $4.50 per hour on the motor

For a decky, I would ask for fuel (divided) and some bait. (we have an ice maker in the fridge so Ice is provided). Service costs and depreciation is something that I would pay anyway regardless of people on board.

If the trip was planned by me then I would not accept fuel money for the car, however if the travel was extensive (in excess of 1 hour travel) then it could be incorporated into the overall fuel cost.

It is funny my wife comes from a family that all costs are divided up for say Christmas functions, and my family upbringing is that the host provides all and makes provisions for all their guests.

I think that I have achieved a balance, but it took a while.

just to note coughy has changed the numbering in his post.

1. Fuel for the boat

3. Bait

4. Tackle

5. Ice

6. refreshments

7. Cost of servicing

8. Cost of depreciation

1, 3 and 5 are definites.

2 if it is a planned by both parties, otherwise you were going out anyway and just looking to share costs.

4 by arrangement.

6 by arrangement, most likely yes (i.e. beers).

7 yes if both parties plan to troll extensively.

8 no that is something the owner takes on when they purchase the boat. unless the decky causes some sort of damage to the boat.

Costs to get boat there, out fishing and back home all get divided. This includes oil for 2 stroke, fuel for tow car, fuel for boat and bait. Ice is made in chest freezer, saves a bit. I usually prepare the boat on my own, and ask the crew to prepare some food/bev. Tackle - if they use a bit here and there so what, tackle is generally cheap as I make my own sinkers. There's usually give and take in the tackle side of things anyway. For short trips (like in the river or if I was going on my own anyway) only contribution required is food/bev. If they help clean the boat afterwards major bonus. :) and realistically, what's $10 or so between mates if the estimates of the skipper are a little bit out?

I've only ever received one complaint re price of a day out - needless to say they never got invited back.

this is the question!!!, i once saw a boat that had a sticker on the transom door that said. This boat doesnt run on please and thankyou.

personally i think that the deckie should share the cost of the trip. so for me it would be 1 thur 6 and help pack and unpack (clean) afterwards. Thats what i do if im lucky enough to be invited out.

In regards to boat servicing etc, well thats a hard one. When i have owed big boats i alway said to myself thats the choice i make owning the boat, i will lay out the cash and keep it running.

cheers

Dubbzy

I would expect a decky to be self sufficient in tackle, refreshments and bait of choice with reason.

As for the rest it would depend on where and for how long we were going. A trip to the Pin, it would be nice if they knocked up for a sausage roll and iced coffee on the way and maybe a $10 donation. For a longer trip, perhaps a few dollars more.

Bottom line for me, I would never set a price or fee to go out but rather make it clear what they need to supply themself within reason.

I have taken people off here out and its ranged from them insisting I don't put my hand in my pocket for the entire day, to walk on walk off and leaving the boat like a pigsty.

You win some, you lose some but you never know unless you go and you can't really expect others to subsidise your investment and choice of leisure activity. I mean what's the alternative, the boat stays parked in the garage and never goes out?

Helping/offering to help clean is a big gripe of mine, a member previously stood around having a cigarette after a week long trip which we both mutually planned. I made it clear from day one that after a 5 hour drive home that some assistance in unloading/cleaning would be expected. Needless to say when I prompted him with a hose and bucket he passed it off to the missus.

I am going fishing anyhow and my only costs are the fuel and toll fees to get to the destination ( Leccy boat)and as I was going anyhow I do not feel justified in asking for a contribution for fuel.

I collect my own bait.

I only stipulate 2 things BYO tucker and no bananas.

If someone wants to tow my boat that is fine but I do not ask or expect it.

Mind you my total costs for the day are usually only 20 to 30 bucks and i am not using 200 bucks worth of fuel.

I do enjoy taking people to new destinations and introducing them to freshwater fishing even though it may be only drowning a shrimp.

There is no price on the pleasure of seeing someone catch there first bass,

Cheers

Ray

I dont really care. I\'m taking the boat out anyway. Any gesture of $$ is nice.

Some skippers USE deckies to fund their own Trips. I figure if you cant afford to do the trip yourself dont go.

Unless its an organised and planned trip away for any length of time, then the subject of costs should come up before the trip.

AS for helping clean the boat afterwards. I prefer to clean it myself. IF a deckie breaks something on the boat, Shoot happens.

IF i lend boats or kayaks out, I like them returned clean and in same condition. If they break it when im not there they fix it within reason of its original condition.

I dont really bother same as Shortie when Dhess and I go out we take turns with each others boats and costs and works well.Again as for the cleaning I do it myself too mainly becasue I live a good distance away from the sites and I take my time cleaning up so it keeps the cheese and kisses happy. :lol:

Good thread Ted im glad someone bought it up.

I go out a fair bit and most of my fishing is done offshore.

When my deckies come with me they have to:

Chip in for boat fuel. ( normally only 2 of us so we go halves)

Chip in for car fuel if we go GC

Bring own tackle. Espically when chasing mackerel.

Bring own food and drinks.

Bait we normally catch livies or have tuna for previous trips but if we do buy pillchards go halves.

Hang around while i clean boat in the end.

Thos are my expectations. Its not too much i reckon.

If i deckie for other people i know i do the same.

Most importantly dont ever ask me if i know what im doing.

If you go out with someone you have to trust their skipping skills.

I like Stu's response in another thread about going out when its safe. As a skipper i check weather for 2-3 days minimum before planning trip. If i know my boat cant handle it or i wont know what to do when weather changes i wouldnt go out.

I for one dont post up too many deckie spots coz i have set deckies who i trust and they trust me. 1 fone call and they ready to go. Some of them are members from here.

None of that i need to be back before this time.

Shane

1. Share

2. Judgemental. Are you both meeting at the ramp that's local to Brisbane? If so, I wouldn't expect it to be included. If you're both jumping in the one car and driving up/down the coast, I would expect it shared.

3. Share

4. BYO, otherwise it's a bit more judgmental. Depends on how costly it is. What sort of fishing is it, and what sort of lures? If it's just a couple of hooks here and there or a couple of plastics I would not expect it to be shared. If its supply them lures etc to use and they're getting lost (cut off/snapped/snagged/whatever) then I would expect it to be shared.

5. Share

6. BYO (otherwise Share)

7. Owner

8. Owner

1. Fuel for the boat

2. Fuel for the tow vehicle (only on more than an hours travel)

3. Bait (never use it, only sometimes live bait which has no cost)

4. Tackle (Deckies generally bring thier own)

5. Ice (use my live fish well which keeps them fresh)

6. refreshments (Deckies bring thier own)

7. Cost of servicing(have thought of this but at the end of the day its my boat, so I wear the costs)

8. Cost of depreciation (as above)

Generally the only costs that I hit up deckies for is to split costs for fuel, sometimes I will ask for fuel for the 4wd if we go down to tweed or up to bribie etc. If someone is trying something new (popping) etc that they don't have the gear for I have no issues if they use my gear and just work on the policy that if you lose it you buy a new one, but this does not happen very often. Have thought about the extra for servicing and oil etc but at the end of the day if I can't get deckies to go out with me I wouldn't be able to go out, and as mentioned in previous posts I get as much if not more enjoyment out of getting someone else onto thier pb or a new species etc.

Andrew

Great topic to bring up from time to time with new members coming on. For me if I'm just hitting the river I just tell people to bring whatever they want to eat / drink. If Im going offshore, say boat rock, I'll use between $150 to $250 in fuel depending on how much ground we cover out there, then I split fuel with whoever is onboard, I always try to find 2 deckies for offshore to reduce costs for everyone. Im not sure if shorty was saying he never charges deckies and that if you cant afford to go yourself you shouldnt. Thats great too, but I think most blokes are happy to chip in, for boat owners they know the costs and for those who dont own boats it gives them a realistic idea of what it costs to own a boat and do those sorts of trips.

Plus when you think about it, you outlay 30,000 50,000 for a boat, your tow car, insurence, servicing, maintenece, fuel, oil, cleaning... I think splitting the fuel with people is still very generous.

1. Fuel for the boat (share the cost)

2. Fuel for the tow vehicle (if long trip i.e. sunny coast etc. that seems fair)

3. Bait (share the cost if that's the type of fishing being done)

4. Tackle (Deckie should BYO)

5. Ice (share the cost if needed)

6. refreshments (Deckies BYO)

7. Cost of servicing - i haven't added this cost to any trip for deckies, i bought the boat for my enjoyment and happy to manage the ongoing maintenance costs

8. Cost of depreciation - as above

generally in my boat I only split fuel as I don't use bait unless we catch livies but depending on the trip and style of fishing this may vary to cover costs accordingly

With drinks I always have extra water on board but encourage deckies to bring their own food and drink.

With tackle sometimes deckies won't have the gear for the style of fishing required, i.e. trolling for Marlin or popping offshore etc.. if the skipper can lend the type of gear to the deckie then it's only fair if you lose or damage the loaned gear then expect to cough up some extra $$$

There are some great skippers out there and go out of their way to get you on to fish, when you get back to land don't wait for the skipper to hit you up for $$ be proactive and ask/offer some $$ - where possible if you can help wash the boat, offer to help it's a nice gesture :)

This is an interesting discussion and my opinions are always changing. It can not be argued that I am not a generous host and I do not use the deckies as away to fund my trips. If that was the case than I would not let the Deckies catch all the fish.

I invite people out on the boat as I do not like fishing on my own, it is safer and I like getting people out and onto fish as much as catching them. Previously when I used to use the 4.2m catcher with a 40hp 4 stroke on board there was never an expectation to put in as it was a minimal cost and I never considered it however after buying a bigger boat and no longer fishing in the bay of creek the costs of running the boat have become a consideration.

It is interesting that the type of fishing, amount of fishing and size of boat have pretty much determined peoples responses here. As I said prior to buying a big boat I did not consider this.

1. Fuel for the boat - that is a definite for an offshore boat

2. Fuel for the tow vehicle - I think this is not really an issue in most cases however I think a regular person that jumps on board all the time and travels in the car should probably put in maybe??

3. Bait - that is a definite

4. Tackle - This is a confusing one and really depends on the type of fishing. I would expect that most people will have their own tackle and lures for small fish in estuaries and the bay. I am never concerned throwing someone a lure or plastic.

I would not expect that people will have pakula lures and large rapalas for offshore fishing or have a rod to suite it. I for one think that it is the responsibility of the skipper as much he can to provide these lures. It is a bit much to expect a one off deckie to bring along lures for a spread when they would not have any opportunity to use them again.

This being said I would expect any lures lost would be have the cost of replacement shared between the people on the boat as this gear is not cheap and a cost of undertaking these trips.

5. Ice - that is a definite

6. refreshments - not really important

7. Cost of servicing - Previously when I serviced my boat once a year I would never have considered this as I would have said it was a cost of owning a boat. Now that I have a boat that is putting on 300+ hours a year and costing $1400 a year to service for 3 services I am starting to consider it a running cost.

8. Cost of depreciation - Owner

As to cleaning the boat I have generally cleaned the boat on my own as most deckies do not live near me. It would be nice to have a hand each time. Jarryd and I got the Walrus smelling great yesterday, well as good as it will ever smell.

All depends on where and what your wanting to do

Local fish 2 deckies I usually charge 30-40 each

Trolling or reef fishing70-80 each and go thirds in bait

If domeone contacts me and says they want to go fishing, then they pay 75% of the cost because its not a decky spot wanted case

You look at a trolling trip off strady

Fuel for the car $50.00min

Fuel for the boat $160.00 min

Oil for the boat $15.00 min

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

And then their is the loss of tackle ect

at the end of the day, as long as the skipper is clear prior to the trip what is required from an input (anchor duty, food/bev etc) and financial point of view, if the decky agrees to the terms there should be no argument post trip about what is "fair" - although if I was quoted a fuel figure of 70L for a trip to the pin in a 4m tinny I might raise an eyebrow.

On sunday, I went out with one mate, we went out around the cape and hit the shoals and shallow reefs out there. We both pinched tackle off each other, he bought the food and drinks, I bought the bait and ice. Fuel usage for the trip was 84L, that's $110 for fuel, plus $20 for fuel in the car plus about 2L of two stroke oil, another $15. I worked out the costs based on a guess of 90L used, turns out in the interst of fairness I overcharged by $6... I am sure I won't lose a mate over it. I don't generally take into account the costs of servicing, maintenance and depreciation, my boat, my responsiblity - one of my regular deckies insists on contributing to this each trip despite my insistence that this is not required.

No matter what costs are split (and it seems each skipper has their own way of doing it), it works out a shedload cheaper than going on a charter for the day and, providing your skipper isn't a numpty, you'll generally have a better day out.

HHHHMMMM some interesting replies. :blink:

put it this way i dont own a boat to benifit others.i own a boat so that i can get out there and enjoy what i love to do most thats why i fish solo so often.

when i do have dekies i expect them to pay there way esspecially going offshore.

I find it hard to ask for more money.

i like cheap trips like out through SPB ,Pt lookout,the sea way palmy etc and i explain to the deckies that it will probably be a $50-70 trip...BUT if it aint happening and the fish are shut down i have no problems covering long distances fast to get to better grounds this can blow the fuel bill through the roof and i find it hard to ask for more money when previously i said 50-70 bucks for the trip.

also with so many deckies you are bound to come accross and see many styles of fishing,high sticking of the rods, flying sinkers cracked cowls,plain messy when bait fishing they get it every where and clumsyness like winding swivel to the tip, droping the rod against the side of the gunwhale and than a few trips later that same rod gets loaded up and snaps where it was droped previously.....so that deckie from the trip previously that droped the rod just cost 300 bucks and there not even on the boat for that fishing trip,and the bloke that was using the rod when it snaped feels like a ##*! and feels the need to pay for it.

What iam saying is..that it is potentially a high risk of loosing dollers through the wear n tear on the boat n gear by taking deckies out after the fact.

like any thing in life if where theres a risk theres $$$$ involved.

It is hard to put a price on a offshore trip.

as for fishing creeks n dams sharing the costs is much easier. like i buy the beer youve already got fuel in the boat lets go fishing etc. its not always about the money but more so sharing

Good Thread Crazy.

I think this of course varies when you have a larger rig and you're spending the day trolling etc etc. This is also a very personal call so what works for me won't apply to others.

On my boat I usually wont ask for anything. I let people coming out know that they should bring their own tackle, food or drinks.

I don't take petrol money unless its a bit of a mission to get there but that's only a tenner for car petrol (say Maroon for e.g)

I don't fish bait so thats not an issue. On the rare occasion I do its livies I will catch with the cast net so that's cool. I don't like sharing lures so don't ask....

Fact is most of the time I will be going fishing regardless so having another on board is just good company and someone to share the good fishing with.

If people oblige by shouting me a beverage of some description (iced coffee ;) I will accept. Also a gift by means of a Japanese lure will always see a return trip.

So far as servicing, depreciation, maintenance etc meh it's my boat so that's my responsibility as I see it.

Again if it was a motor that used large amounts of petrol and taking extra weight by means of people greatly adjusted the petrol costing etc. I would certainly ask for contributions.

edit* I think its important to know that my current boat is only a 3.75M rig with a 20 4 stroke. It literally runs on nothing.... (it's also for sale).... (amazing boat).......(go on)......(SOMEBODY BUY IT!!!!!)

Cheers Sweresy

This is an interesting read.....especially Mick's post above outlining unintentional damage to gear and the skipper's boat.

These are the reasons I've never put up my hand for a decky spot cos I'm a spastic and one of those guys that would probably destroy the skipper's gear :blush:

This is always a sticky subject especially with people who have never owned a boat, I used to take out a few newbies, but the feeling i get at the end of the day, when you have no fuel left,no sinkers,jigheads and plastics and they say see you later.Rather just go on my own.

I think all the comments so far are pretty much agreed by all, It is nice when a contribution is given. As far as long trips ie Boat rock, as Brad said $200 bucks in fuel,I would want deckies for this. I would agree terms before I left.ie fuel is so much split it so many ways.

Be good for deckys who have never owned a boat just to have a think of the costs involved.

A very good subject thanks Ted.

The choice to ask for $$ comes down to a lot of factors. I can only talk about those that influence me. For the record I only have a small boat and my trips are offshore. Mine is 4.75 alloy with a 60HP 4 stroke bigfoot merc. It does nearly 100KMs to nearly 45ltrs.

I like to pay for fuel myself and have my deckie bring bait. As I'm only learning fishing and bring people out to teach me new stuff, I factor this in.

All the deckie I have brought out however have always tried to offer fuel money and always, always offer to help clean the boat. However I enjoy (is this the right word?) doing this by myself, so I never accept help yet.

All my offshore trips so far have consumed less then 30 ltrs of fuel. When I get more experience and do more then 100kms in a day I might change my mind on the subject.

If we look at points 7 and 8 a little differently and in a slightly different context do we get a different response? Let's switch the boat for a car. If you go for a long drive in your car - say car pooling up to Lake Awoonga for some kayak fishing or to Hervey Bay for a charter. Do you ask for passengers to chip in fuel only, or fuel + service + depreciation costs?

I haven't heard of anyone asking for service and depreciation costs in that instance and I don't see why a boat should be any different.

Currently 95% of all of my trips are offshore, all of my regular deckies are clear on the splitting of fuel costs and I don't even need to ask. All trips I drive straight from the boat ramp to the servo so there is no question on what the trip actually costs. The trips are pretty consistent so it is not usually a big surprise only depends on the fuel price/litre on the day. I feel guilty charging people for fuel if it has been a quiet trip, but on average this is not an issue :whistle: I try to never make money an issue, I don't want to ever spoil a day by disputing fuel costs etc, I have no issue if anyone on board uses my gear or tackle, it is a bonus if they then catch something on it.

This may all change in a few months when I sell my boat and get a bigger one ;) bigger boat means bigger costs but not necessarily more fish. In saying that I won't go out of my way to "fill" the boat to reduce costs, I will be putting up more deckie spots, just because I enjoy taking people out and I am limited with the amount of people I can take out in the current boat, if I have one deckie or 3 deckies either way all I am doing is looking at having a good day and getting onto some fish.

Andrew

Not being a boat owner, i thought id throw in my 2c.

Like a few have mentioned, there are alot of costs involved in owning a boat, that a person that doesn't/has never owned one doesn't know about. I always pay my way, and i will always ask the person that owns the boat what my share is, as i never know. Whatever this amount is, i will pay. (Ive never been given a logically unreasonable figure as to need to argue etc).

I also try and help clean the boat afterwards and try to not leave mess behind me, especially if it was my mess.

Something ive never thought about prior to this thread is tow vehicle fuel but will be a consideration in the future.

Good point Mick,

Ive taken a fair few people out over the last 5 years of being on AFO, there are only a couple of people that will never come on my boats again, simply put, having respect for gear and the boat will go along way. Most people from AFO have their wallet out and an offer to clean the boat before Ive said a word, Ive had people break stuff, try and use my dash and floor as a cutting board, not pay attention and loose gear blah blah, But I will always offer deckie spots, I like meeting people off AFO that I havnt met or fished with and seeing how stoked people get when they get that PB.

Its worth anyone who wants to be a deckie reading this thread and maybe a section somewhere on the site where "Deckie Etiquette" for AFO members is explained.

yeah I think previously as a non-boat owner I never considered the costs of running a boat or the amount of fuel that different boats chew up and probably would have not even have thought about the costs that the owner/skipper would have to foot up.

Now as a more knowledged person, I'm always on for throwing money into the skippers hands to foot the bill for whatever they think is due. If I forget (which hopefully I haven't done) a reminder is always welcome. I don't want to be burning bridges by seeming to be a tight donkey.

I think as a skipper, you'd just need to be considerate that sometimes people don't know or don't think about it. So if you have a new deckie, just a heads up when setting up the trip that there will be some shared costs with a ballpark figure would ensure that the expectations are set and no one is surprised or left with a bitter taste.

Re using the gear, go for it but if you lose it/break it - you've bought it. And chances are you will be relegated to the low end gear unless I know your fishing abilities match the gear.

This is an interesting discussion and my opinions are always changing. It can not be argued that I am not a generous host and I do not use the deckies as away to fund my trips. If that was the case than I would not let the Deckies catch all the fish.

I invite people out on the boat as I do not like fishing on my own, it is safer and I like getting people out and onto fish as much as catching them. Previously when I used to use the 4.2m catcher with a 40hp 4 stroke on board there was never an expectation to put in as it was a minimal cost and I never considered it however after buying a bigger boat and no longer fishing in the bay of creek the costs of running the boat have become a consideration.

It is interesting that the type of fishing, amount of fishing and size of boat have pretty much determined peoples responses here. As I said prior to buying a big boat I did not consider this.

1. Fuel for the boat - that is a definite for an offshore boat

2. Fuel for the tow vehicle - I think this is not really an issue in most cases however I think a regular person that jumps on board all the time and travels in the car should probably put in maybe??

3. Bait - that is a definite

4. Tackle - This is a confusing one and really depends on the type of fishing. I would expect that most people will have their own tackle and lures for small fish in estuaries and the bay. I am never concerned throwing someone a lure or plastic.

I would not expect that people will have pakula lures and large rapalas for offshore fishing or have a rod to suite it. I for one think that it is the responsibility of the skipper as much he can to provide these lures. It is a bit much to expect a one off deckie to bring along lures for a spread when they would not have any opportunity to use them again.

This being said I would expect any lures lost would be have the cost of replacement shared between the people on the boat as this gear is not cheap and a cost of undertaking these trips.

5. Ice - that is a definite

6. refreshments - not really important

7. Cost of servicing - Previously when I serviced my boat once a year I would never have considered this as I would have said it was a cost of owning a boat. Now that I have a boat that is putting on 300+ hours a year and costing $1400 a year to service for 3 services I am starting to consider it a running cost.

8. Cost of depreciation - Owner

As to cleaning the boat I have generally cleaned the boat on my own as most deckies do not live near me. It would be nice to have a hand each time. Jarryd and I got the Walrus smelling great yesterday, well as good as it will ever smell.

I would have to aggree with everything you wrote. Your spot on about the tackle thats a fair call.Lead sinkers whould be the biggest loss in tackle on my boat dont know about your boat but iam glad we turned that tonne of lead into sinkers cuppla year ago.

as for refreshments any thing other than water is BYO.As skippers we are responsable to supply 1 ltr of water for each persons on board.

Currently 95% of all of my trips are offshore, all of my regular deckies are clear on the splitting of fuel costs and I don't even need to ask. All trips I drive straight from the boat ramp to the servo so there is no question on what the trip actually costs. The trips are pretty consistent so it is not usually a big surprise only depends on the fuel price/litre on the day. I feel guilty charging people for fuel if it has been a quiet trip, but on average this is not an issue :whistle: I try to never make money an issue, I don't want to ever spoil a day by disputing fuel costs etc, I have no issue if anyone on board uses my gear or tackle, it is a bonus if they then catch something on it.

This may all change in a few months when I sell my boat and get a bigger one ;) bigger boat means bigger costs but not necessarily more fish. In saying that I won't go out of my way to "fill" the boat to reduce costs, I will be putting up more deckie spots, just because I enjoy taking people out and I am limited with the amount of people I can take out in the current boat, if I have one deckie or 3 deckies either way all I am doing is looking at having a good day and getting onto some fish.

Andrew

There are a lot of guys on AFO that really go out of their way to ensure their deckies have a great day on the water, if anything it sometimes puts pressure on the skipper to get em on to fish.

The last 3 trips I have been out with Ted, Brad & yourself and all 3 of you take the time to ensure that others on your boat have as much chance to catch a fish if not more whether it be holding the boat in gear in a certain spot to let other get to the fish or giving them the first Marlin strike or just showing them techniques to catch a nice fish, the knowledge you guys share is great so not only do we get on to fish but we learn some new tips and tricks or knowledge of the area and we get in and out of the bar safely every time, spending a few bucks on fuel or bait etc... is pretty small from a deckies point when you think about the overall trip

With the guys I go out with on a regular basis we split

Fuel for boat

Ice

Fule for car if going anywhere besides Manly to launch from

Carry our own food and drinks

When it comes to the end of the day I always offer to help clean but because I do all the driving (they all spear) I never have to, they are happy to do it themselves but I still offer.

If I take anyone out on my boat I am happy to do all the cleaning cause it's no biggy and I generally was my car at the same time.

We also generally split the fish caught. if I catch 7 Dollies and they only speared 3 then we'll just split 10 between us all.

If we catch a kingie and some tuna we usually just knock the fillets off back at the ramp and divide it to

I don't really go on trips as a 'decky' if I did, everything halves I help clean the boat and use all my own gear (which I'm happy to share if the need arises).

I usually fish with a good mate in a 4.2m 30hp tinny. Fuel cost is random, sometimes I pay it all and a second tank and all the car fuel. Usually it's shared, sometimes it's free. I get the costs associated, but it's not my boat to service, nor pay depreciation on. He bought the boat, not me. Usually bait is shared (not that we really use it), ice/junk foods/drinks are usually bought by one or the other. No drinking beer in the boat, tackle we both have our own. It's just an easy arrangement and it works. He cleans the boat with a pressure washer cos he love doing it and won't let me - -before that we both washed it down after each trip. Sometimes I pay for oil or a spare electric prop to help out with costs. We're both pretty generous at the end of the day and that helps.

Another mate won't accept anything, nor does he want help cleaning the boat. He doesn't pay for the fuel in either the car or boat either as it's paid by a company. He doesn't get to fish much tho.

When I get a boat, some costs will be shared, most of the time it will be my pleasure to take someone out for the day because I'd be going anyway and I'm not going to be taking retards out regardless. They will need their own gear and some level of experience, unless they are relatives or really good friends.

Working out what's expected before hand goes a long way, as does avoiding tight-asses and tuck-fards.

Probably the most comforting thing for me is that since being on this forum I have had a number of guys on AFO out on my boat, a part from all being great blokes to go fishing with every one of them have treated my gear and boat with respect. Apart from the guys that I take out maybe learning something new, fishing with different people I pick up new stuff as well about tackle, techniques or locations. Also every one of them have always hit me up first about fuel money or helping to wash the boat etc with out me even having to ask. This makes me feel confident in taking others out, as to date I have not had a bad experience. I think topics like this one make it a little more common knowledge to unwritten rules of being a deckie, but in saying that every boat owner is different.

Andrew

I have only been on Rays boat but that was a few years back, I probley smell too bad for everyone else.

Personaly I always ask before I go what would they like or like me to bring.

Even if they ask for some cash or bait, I always try to bring something extra, because even tho your taking the boat out already, its still a nice thing to do, but everyone is different.

1. Fuel for the boat Happy to pay 1/2

2. Fuel for the tow vehicle Happy to pay 1/2

3. Bait Happy to pay 1/2 or may even pay for the whole lot.

4. Tackle - mmm no, I tend to bring my own, however if they want to use some of it, like hooks and sinkers, I don't expect it back.

5. Ice - Happy to pay 1/2

6. refreshments - Happy to bring some.

What I expect from the boat owner is to be honest with me, tell me what they want and how much, then I have no right to complain if its too much, as its up to me to say yes or no.

Fyi pick me pick me to be a decky.

With the guys I go out with on a regular basis we split

Fuel for boat

Ice

Fule for car if going anywhere besides Manly to launch from

Carry our own food and drinks

When it comes to the end of the day I always offer to help clean but because I do all the driving (they all spear) I never have to, they are happy to do it themselves but I still offer.

If I take anyone out on my boat I am happy to do all the cleaning cause it's no biggy and I generally was my car at the same time.

We also generally split the fish caught. if I catch 7 Dollies and they only speared 3 then we'll just split 10 between us all.

If we catch a kingie and some tuna we usually just knock the fillets off back at the ramp and divide it to

That is a fair call and something I have taken up from Tugger. All fish are shared regardless who has caught them. That way if one person does not have a great day fishing they still go home with a feed hopefully.

Archived