What costs are fair to share with a deckie??

crazywalrus

With the guys I go out with on a regular basis we split

Fuel for boat

Ice

Fule for car if going anywhere besides Manly to launch from

Carry our own food and drinks

When it comes to the end of the day I always offer to help clean but because I do all the driving (they all spear) I never have to, they are happy to do it themselves but I still offer.

If I take anyone out on my boat I am happy to do all the cleaning cause it's no biggy and I generally was my car at the same time.

We also generally split the fish caught. if I catch 7 Dollies and they only speared 3 then we'll just split 10 between us all.

If we catch a kingie and some tuna we usually just knock the fillets off back at the ramp and divide it to

That is a fair call and something I have taken up from Tugger. All fish are shared regardless who has caught them. That way if one person does not have a great day fishing they still go home with a feed hopefully.

Never thought of the filleting at the ramp before. Will ensure this gets done for now on! :-)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just depends. If you're mates it should sort itself. Otherwise get better mates. I was raised to believe that an activity like boating, should you invite someone out, you would be the host. Meaning you would essentially pay for every and all costs and wouldn't be caught dead accepting anything. On long offshore trips though where lots of fuel etc. is used then sharing costs I think is a given. I have been on boats though where I would not be able to afford to chip in significantly to a 2k fuel cost and that has been fine with the skipper as he knows this.

But I realise not everyone is like this. I have a friend who doesn't have that much cash but he does have a boat and if he takes me out I'll have to pay for a good 40L of fuel for us to burn around mud, also buy food, ice, drinks, and on the odd occasion I let him scab and lose my hardbodies and plastics. One time the lights were left on in his car and I had to call marshalls to bring a battery and I footed the bill. Cost me over $300 that day to go to peel island for a few hours. He wasted that much fuel heading from peel to mud, getting past saint helena, realising he will run out fuel, we turn back and head home...I begged him not to head to mud as I knew this was exactly what would happen... But that's what you do with mates. It's fishin.

It just depends. If you're mates it should sort itself. Otherwise get better mates. I was raised to believe that an activity like boating, should you invite someone out, you would be the host. Meaning you would essentially pay for every and all costs and wouldn't be caught dead accepting anything. On long offshore trips though where lots of fuel etc. is used then sharing costs I think is a given. I have been on boats though where I would not be able to afford to chip in significantly to a 2k fuel cost and that has been fine with the skipper as he knows this.

But I realise not everyone is like this.

No def not

It is a prity basic rules among fishos, depending on the trip, you decide it among everyone

If I put up s post going fishing and mr x came out with me and when it came time to fuel up, he handed me, $20 for fuel to go to moreton, strady, peel mud ect

I would hind that highly rude and would never get an invite again... Cheap ass

Eddie and I had this decussion a few weeks back.

My mates invite me, I pay no questions asked, if my mates come with me, they pay no question asked. They know if they can't afford it, they miss out,

Their has been a few times where my goof mate nic wanted to come, bug didn't gave coin, so he helped me do bits and prices around the place to say thanks

Splitting bills is common curtissy and common knowage between fisho's, true friends know how much it cost to run a boat, and yes it is our choice to own one, and friends and deckies make it possible which I am most greatly for

But I realise not everyone is like this.

No def not

It is a prity basic rules among fishos, depending on the trip, you decide it among everyone

If I put up s post going fishing and mr x came out with me and when it came time to fuel up, he handed me, $20 for fuel to go to moreton, strady, peel mud ect

I would hind that highly rude and would never get an invite again... Cheap ass

Eddie and I had this decussion a few weeks back.

My mates invite me, I pay no questions asked, if my mates come with me, they pay no question asked. They know if they can't afford it, they miss out,

Their has been a few times where my goof mate nic wanted to come, bug didn't gave coin, so he helped me do bits and prices around the place to say thanks

Splitting bills is common curtissy and common knowage between fisho's, true friends know how much it cost to run a boat, and yes it is our choice to own one, and friends and deckies make it possible which I am most greatly for

I'd say this is a culture thing.

Stinky - I know what you're talking about. If you invite someone out, it's your bill. It's just how asians are raised culturally.

Culturally here - it's a shared cost.

Tyres for trailer, tyres for tow vehicle, insurance and registration for both, toll fees..... Where does it all end?

I don't expect, demand, or even ask for payments.

I live within my means.

I don't think anyone takes it to that extreme there Greg.

It's just nice and appreciated when someone helps.

Tyres for trailer, tyres for tow vehicle, insurance and registration for both, toll fees..... Where does it all end?

I live within my means.

I don't think anyone takes it to that extreme there Greg.

Agreed

i have only been a decky once i wanted to pay for fuel but he said no cus im going anyway so i insisted on paying for fuel he said no and if i had of left the money on the boat console he'd be ofended by the jesture cus he said no to start with. i didnt losse any tackle we used his and my lures to shase polagics, i got ice only cus we got fish and he wouldnt let me chip in for fuel what im getting at is some people are just very genorous.

thats right mate you now who you are your a very genorous bloke thanks agian for a good weekend

When I leave home for the water my boat fuel tank is full. I make it clear to my deckies that after fishing we will be stopping off at the petrol station to fill the tank back up. I expect the fuel costs to shared equally between all on board.

The same goes for bait and ice. I collect this prior to the trip and expect the cost to be divided equally.

I always bring a few beers and happily give these out, along with snacks, water, coffee etc.

I expect the deckies to help unpack the boat and clean her down.

All the above is not much to ask is it?

I live within my means.

how really is this relevant Booty. Live within your means?????

I go out a lot and fish and offer people without boats a chance to get out offshore. So under your system I would not get out as often and fewer people would get a chance to experience offshore fishing? This post was not a complaint, it was merely a discussion as for me personally with the change of focus towards trolling, costs had increased. I would have thought a decky would rather have the chance to get out and have a chance of catching a fish, pay their way rather than be limited to land based fishing. On Sunday I had no expectation to catch a fish. The deckhands had first go. Jarryd got his first Marlin. If another had hooked up Ryan would have caught it and then Lance. They would not have had this chance if they did not paid their way. I do not see your statement as relevant. I bought the boat and expect to cop the depreciation as stated. Running cost I expect to be shared. I get a lot of people out to fish and without there contribution this would not happen as often.

If i go offshore with people i usually

* give them $50-$70 for the boat fuel depending how much trolling they do.

* shout all the ice.

* sometimes share my lures, but if you lose a lure worth 40-50 bucks then i don't offer another.

* always help wash the boat at the end of the day.

Some guy's i have fished offshore with won't accept any money and they tell me to put my money away or i wont be offered another trip.

cheers tim :)

Great topic Ted, plenty of points of view.

As a boat owner I enjoy people coming out with me, I think the age old, treat someone the way you would like to be treated holds true here.

All I ask really is that people respect my property, i'd generally prefer people use their own gear but I'm happy to lend my gear to those that I know will look after it.

Take advantage of me and you wont get a spot on my boat again "simple", I'm out there to enjoy my time on the water and I hope the guys out with me enjoy it too.

If I'm lucky to get a spot on someone boat for an offshore trip, would i pay my way... Absolutely, who wouldn't ??

i have only been a decky once i wanted to pay for fuel but he said no cus im going anyway so i insisted on paying for fuel he said no and if i had of left the money on the boat console he'd be ofended by the jesture cus he said no to start with. i didnt losse any tackle we used his and my lures to shase polagics, i got ice only cus we got fish and he wouldnt let me chip in for fuel what im getting at is some people are just very genorous.

thats right mate you now who you are your a very genorous bloke thanks agian for a good weekend

Same goes to deckies who teach the skipper a lot about fishing and having the patience to deal with newbie skippers.

Each person I have taken out fishing I have learnt a bucket loads from. I've taken three AFO members so far and the knowledge I've learnt......

So thanks! :-)

This subject was raised a few years ago.

A young out of work bloke copped a flogging after keeping his hands in his pockets after an outside trip.

I think that if a skipper expects people to share costs the onus is on him to state this when he puts up a post. I note that one person is up front and even posts his expected fuel usage so that people can at least get an estimate of costs.

There is a big difference in costs between using 25l for a quick trip around mud in a 4m tinney and a offshore trip using well over 100l before trolling.

A lot of non boat owners have no idea of costs involved and if the skipper expects to have costs shared he has to be upfront at the start rather ending the day on a sour note.

Re cleaning my boat gets cleaned every time it rains :blush: I only expect people to take their rubbish with them instead of poking it away in the bow with my rubbish.

Cheers

Ray

Good topic.

I don't own a boat, and I haven't been a deckie with any members here, but here's what I would expect if I was a deckie on anybody's boat.

1. Fuel for the boat - Absolutely. If the skip says $35, give him $50. If he says $80, give him $100. Can delete points 7 & 8 now.

2. Fuel for the tow vehicle - If were meeting at a relatively local boat ramp = no. If we make an agreement to go to tweed, or mooloolaba, or further than that and jump in the same car (I would say more than 1hr from residence), then yes, fuel for tow vehicle should be shared.

3. Bait - Deckie asks skip before going if bait needs to be bought, if so, deckie purchases and pays bait in full themselves (I'm not talking 23 blocks of pillies here, just what would be reasonable, $10-40 something in that range, block of pillies, fresh squid/mullet etc). If I'm a deckie, I even ask the skip where he normally buys his bait from and will go there (nothing worse than getting a doughnut and getting blamed for the bait purchasing), I am normally at the boatramp 1hr prior, or have already been up to colmslie rec reserve etc on the way getting mullet/herring and have a little portable aerator that keeps them alive in a bucket for quite some time.

4. Tackle - Deckie supplies own tackle to what they normally would carry. If going offshore and deckie doesn't have appropriate tackle, maybe deckie buys a couple of special lures for their day out, some bigger hooks and sinkers etc. Rods that the deckie owns may not be suitable, you break it, you bought it. Any tackle leant to deckies and lost or damaged should be paid for in full/replaced. Same with any other damages/losses.

5. Ice. refer 3 - deckie purchases.

6. refreshments - BYO, but maybe deckie could bring a couple of packets of chips/jatz etc or something - very minimal cost..... If mooring mid-trip and getting some chips or something, deckie should offer. If mooring at southport and having lobster or $40 steak, split costs.

7. Cost of servicing - refer 1.

8. Cost of depreciation - refer 1.

As a deckie, always arrive to boatramp well in time (30 mins+), so when skip & boat arrives, anything that needs to be done pre-launch you can help with. The last thing anybody wants is the boat to be in the water waiting to go and a phonecall to be made to the deckie, "where are you", if i was the skip, I would go with out them - they should have had the courtesy to call you if they were going to be late.

Back at the ramp:

If fish were caught, everybody has smiles, if no fish were caught, everybody can be tired and pretty cranky.

Retrieval - If trailer has a manual winch, deckie should be made to winch the boat up in all circumstances especially if its raining.

Cleaning - A difficult one, always after boat-retrieval, deckie should stick around and help with any nessecary packing up, securing of trailer etc & cleaning.

Sometimes you live in opposite directions, after a long day fishing in the sun, it can be quite tiresome to drive extra km's in the opposite direction. I don't have a complete/fair solution for this one, so I'll leave this up for discussion and get everybody elses opinion.

At the end of the day, somebody who has put their hard earned into a boat (obviously not the deckie) and invited you on board their castle should be treated like a king.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Generally my boat is a solo ride, like the yaks.

For yakking I offer my spare yak to others and generally if I am hitting the bay or something localish ask no petrol money, just to be at my house at the agreed time and the gear is all tied down and ready to go.

If the style of fishing is foreign to my invited partner I have no issue supplying rod and reel, lures and plastics within reason. Usually snagged lures are retrievable and being busted off by a fish is more than ok with me. I always take a kill bag or esky full of frozen water bottles with me so the ice also doubles as drinks.

Longer trips we split the bill equally. I did a trip with Terry and KAF to Straddie. Met the lads at the barge, threw their yaks on my truck and cost each of us $45 for the day trip, being the barge split 3 ways. At work the truck is charged at $64+GST but this was social and it would feel wrong to try and make a charter out of it. Asking for associated costs like depreciation makes it a charter as you are treating it as a business recooping costs on top of just the fuel.

And if the invited bloke offers to shout you an icebreak thats just a bonus

As far as costs go I'm with the majority here as for what I pay when I decky or what I expect if someone deckies on my boat.

I think you need to take into consideration the deckies experience also as to what to expect from them. eg when I first started going out as a deckie I had never owned my own boat or been on other peoples boats and I know I was a terrible decky as I didnt know what to do or when to do it. I was lucky enough to start going out with Kurt and he had the patience to put up with my inexperience and with his experience I have learned a wealth of knowledge I am very grateful for and I think has given him a great satisfaction in showing me the ropes at the same time and we have become good mates in the process.

I think having/being a deckie is so much more than just sharing costs. To me its about the friendship, company,knowledge,laughs, stories, satisfaction etc.

I do believe that sharing the costs is important to acheive the above but if someone hasnt got the money one time, no biggie it usually evens out but if someones a tight arse they wont get the offer again.

As far as costs go I'm with the majority here as for what I pay when I decky or what I expect if someone deckies on my boat.

I think you need to take into consideration the deckies experience also as to what to expect from them. eg when I first started going out as a deckie I had never owned my own boat or been on other peoples boats and I know I was a terrible decky as I didnt know what to do or when to do it. I was lucky enough to start going out with Kurt and he had the patience to put up with my inexperience and with his experience I have learned a wealth of knowledge I am very grateful for and I think has given him a great satisfaction in showing me the ropes at the same time and we have become good mates in the process.

I think having/being a deckie is so much more than just sharing costs. To me its about the friendship, company,knowledge,laughs, stories, satisfaction etc.

I do believe that sharing the costs is important to acheive the above but if someone hasnt got the money one time, no biggie it usually evens out but if someones a tight arse they wont get the offer again.

Well said.

And if the invited bloke offers to shout you an icebreak thats just a bonus
What about a quarter pounder? ;)

I think the big thing here is any prospective decky needs to know what it will cost them upfront when the spot is offered so they can make a decision on whether they can take it up or not. I don't think anyone can whinge if a decky has not put in enough or not helped to clean the boat or whatever else if the boat owners expectations were not expressed up front. No decky should be expected to contribute to the costs of depreciation or servicing, if I lend my kayak to someone and it comes back with a few scratches I'm certainly not going to hit them up for some dollars to cover it. Fuel, bait and ice- yes that is certainly something a decky can contribute to, eats and drinks- I tend to think that should be a byo, tackle (lures/hooks/sinkers)- contribution if the cost is excessive but that's part and parcel of fishing. Any rods and reels that are loaned work on the prostitute rule- you eff it you pay.

Ted i agree with you about contribution to servicing cost now.

I only had my boat few months $550 for 100 hr service.

The amount i go out i will need it done 3 months

I reckon with trolling deckies should contribute towards cost. Like you said a day of hard trolling could put up to 10 hrs on motor.

There is alot of mixed emoticons in this thread.

You can see guys with smaller boats dont expect too much from deckies but offshore its a totally diff story. Deckies have to pay half cost. Its only fair.

I must be lucky enough to have some great mates. For some decky spots I put in for fuel, I get ice/drinks, or make the lunch for the day or all of the above. Then if we take my boat ( I have a tinny but no tow bar,) they tow and I sort out the fuel/oil and the likes (my boat my responsibility). Then I have some mates that I can walk on/walk off.

Guess it depends on who you go with.

If you tow my boat all I ask is you bring your own tackle,( I can provide a plastics set up (rod/reel) of need be, but ya need your own jigs/plastics/hards, byo food drinks. If I'm $$$ able I'll sort drinks.

I'll sort the petrol for the boat though.

I live within my means.

I don't think anyone takes it to that extreme there Greg..

I would put consumable items such as tyres and the like above the book value write offs such as depreciation.

You pay dollars, you get tyres. Its a more tangible and visual cost for an asset.

I live within my means.

Hits the nail on the head there, as opposed to this is what I expect.

this is a great post,

i have been fortunate to go out on a couple of guys boats on here, and having a boat myself i do it more for getting to know new areas, getting to meet new people ( stepping out of my comfort zone )

and hopefully getting onto a good fish or 2?

ive never really considered cost assoaciated with driving or towing as i dont pay for car fuel myself and havent done for over 10 years ( company supplied ) so i guess this thread has reminded me that not everyone gets free deisel.

as for boat fuel im more than happy to throw in for fuel, and if noone tells me what i have to pay, ill just guesstimate as all my fishing is done in rivers and canals, so the fuel cost usually is relavantly cheap?

as for washing down ill always offer or at least hang around whilst its being done ( most people like to do this by themselves)( i do )

but im more than willing to take my boat out anytime and i never expect anyone to pay anything.

bring your own food and drinks, although ill always bring enough, and bring your own gear ( although where i go were not going to get onto any marlin haha) but if you need any i have heaps, and that i do always say when im handing it over " you lose you own )

and all i expect really in my boat is to help out at the ramp to load and unload.

and probably because this is what i expect i assume the same when i go out.

i like to think im respectful of others boats, as a smoker i always ask first, and butts go into my pocket.

i look more towards whoever comes on my boat all learning new stuff me especially and hopefully they can provide the spot for my style of fishing, as well as some campanionship, and thats generally payment enough for me.

i love taking my boat out, just i have no spots to go other than the pine haha. and most trips have to be to the sunny coast or the GC which can be a long trip at 2am in the morning.

awesome post guys this had some eye opening for me too.

I live within my means.

I go out a lot and fish and offer people without boats a chance to get out offshore. So under your system I would not get out as often and fewer people would get a chance to experience offshore fishing? This post was not a complaint, it was merely a discussion as for me personally with the change of focus towards trolling, costs had increased. I would have thought a decky would rather have the chance to get out and have a chance of catching a fish, pay their way rather than be limited to land based fishing. On Sunday I had no expectation to catch a fish. The deckhands had first go. Jarryd got his first Marlin. If another had hooked up Ryan would have caught it and then Lance. They would not have had this chance if they did not paid their way. I do not see your statement as relevant. I bought the boat and expect to cop the depreciation as stated. Running cost I expect to be shared. I get a lot of people out to fish and without there contribution this would not happen as often.

It is relevant to 'my system' as I would much rather be prepared lo cop the full cost of running a boat, 2 in fact on my own back. I don't expect anything in return when I take someone fishing or for a day out on the water. I have allowed for and devised 'my system' where I can do that and at the end of the day a handshake, smile and comment such as 'I had a top day out' is enough for me. As I said previously, if they buy breakfast or chuck $10 in the glovebox then all well and good, but I have not budgeted in charging mates to come and share a day out on the water with me in my financial decisions and expenditure.

It is relevant to 'my system' as I would much rather be prepared lo cop the full cost of running a boat, 2 in fact on my own back. I don't expect anything in return when I take someone fishing or for a day out on the water. I have allowed for and devised 'my system' where I can do that and at the end of the day a handshake, smile and comment such as 'I had a top day out' is enough for me. As I said previously, he they buy breakfast or chuck $10 in the glovebox then all well and good, but I have not budgeted in charging mates to come and share a day out on the water with me into my financial decisions and expenditure.

i agree i made the decision to buy a boat, and if anyone that already knows me , knows ill generally buy the best of everything because i can i guess lol.

but in buying my boat all i want is to meet some cool people that enjoy something that i do.

im just getting past the trying new spots, and actually taking the boat out.

espcially now i put a new sounder on it last week..... its awesome..

I live within my means.

It is relevant to 'my system' as I would much rather be prepared lo cop the full cost of running a boat, 2 in fact on my own back. I don't expect anything in return when I take someone fishing or for a day out on the water. I have allowed for and devised 'my system' where I can do that and at the end of the day a handshake, smile and comment such as 'I had a top day out' is enough for me. As I said previously, if they buy breakfast or chuck $10 in the glovebox then all well and good, but I have not budgeted in charging mates to come and share a day out on the water with me in my financial decisions and expenditure.

however your terms of reference relate to amount of fishing, type, location and boat you fish from and than you make a judgement on others that fish offshore based on your terms of reference.

^^ and to add to that... no point in thinking someone else's thoughts on this is anything but fair. Each person is their own skipper on their own boat, so their rules is how it goes down.

It's like me. Asian house rules. If you come into my house... you take your shoes off. Simple. :D Not unreasonable... just different rules for different houses.

Im not sure if shorty was saying he never charges deckies and that if you cant afford to go yourself you shouldnt. .

Correct. If im taking the boat out i leave home with the full expectation of having to pay everything myself. If i invite someone along and they offer It is definatelly appreciated. And they are generally the first person you ask next time. This in my opinion shows the true character of the person your taking out. Someones character will show through before they get on your boat. In the questions they ask you about the day out.

I normally fish with a mate who lives around the cnr normally no cash changes hands as we take it in turns whos boat we use we each get our own bait and each have our own tackle.However his boat and motor is older than mine so uses more fuel to share so i always take drinks and food.i always clean the boat after all i make 1/2 the mess.

Agreed Henry, the skipper has final say on their house rules if people are happy to play by those rules then everyone is a winner. On the flip side a certain level of honesty is required to ensure that any running costs passed on are honest and within reason.

Having been on my mate's 6.2 meter boat regularly and being aware of the costs of maintaining this rig. It appears to me that some quoted dollar figures may have a little rounding up (this may vary due to a number of things, i.e. mechanic costs, not purchasing oil in bulk, passing on maintenance costs to deckies, offsetting owner's personal costs, etc.). Regardless the reason, when you see words like "minimum" put up, it may come across feeling like a charter to new deckies (as Ray touched on previously).

So it's a catch-22 scenario, without deckies we may not be able to get out as often as we'd like. However if we begin to become petty, don't be surprised if deckies no longer wish to come out or get offended if someone requests an itemisation of the running costs. I believe if someone is going to itemise the running costs of their rig then deckies are well within their rights as a financial contributor to see how it's been calculated.

P.S. My personal view is "what is a few bucks between mates?". However not all deckies are mates (when meeting for the first time) especially on a public forum and this is what my above statement is written with respect to.

Cheers

Eug

BTW: Good thread Ted, it has certainly generated a bit of discussion.

So it's a catch-22 scenario, without deckies we may not be able to get out as often as we'd like. However if we begin to become petty, don't be surprised if deckies no longer wish to come out or get offended if someone requests an itemisation of the running costs. I believe if someone is going to itemise the running costs of their rig then they are well within their rights as a financial contributor to see how it's been calculated.

It's not fishing for fun when it gets to this point... If it gets to this stage with costs, you have to seriously think about what you're doing. I haven't seen it degrade to this level yet, so fingers crossed.

--julian

It's not fishing for fun when it gets to this point... If it gets to this stage with costs, you have to seriously think about what you're doing. I haven't seen it degrade to this level yet, so fingers crossed.

--julian

I agree, like you I don't think it will stoop that low (fingers crossed).

This was the point Booty was trying to make albeit his example (with the tyres) was a little extreme.

--julian

I agree, like you I don't think it will stoop that low (fingers crossed).

This was the point Booty was trying to make albeit his example (with the tyres) was a little extreme.

Does that mean I can borrow your spare free of charge on the way up to Cardwell?

Whats fair in your mind, might not be fair in others but as long as you are comfortable with the fair call that you make.

Archived