What costs are fair to share with a deckie??

crazywalrus

All depends on where and what your wanting to do

Local fish 2 deckies I usually charge 30-40 each

Trolling or reef fishing70-80 each and go thirds in bait

If domeone contacts me and says they want to go fishing, then they pay 75% of the cost because its not a decky spot wanted case

You look at a trolling trip off strady

Fuel for the car $50.00min

Fuel for the boat $160.00 min

Oil for the boat $15.00 min

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

And then their is the loss of tackle ect

WHOA!!!! Man, what outboard are you running? we have a 5.7m Quintrex Spirit with a yamaha 150hp 4 stroke, run it all day! troll and travelling at WOT, and it costs us $70

MAX for the day!!! $160 is NUTS!!!!

Would love to deckie for you if it only cost $70 to run all day.

Is this in the bay or offshore

My 140 suzuki on a 5.8 platey takes about 70-80 liters to go off straddie leave it running all day keep backing on spots. Fish the fads boat rock sevens troll around most day

This is me driving normal in the bay going and coming back.

My mates got a 150hp yamaha 4 stroke on a 6meter yalta and his is about same for same trip.

I

In the bay and offshore, never have we had to pay more then $70 for fuel. To be honest, Dad never asked anyone to pay for anything, just bring your own rod and reel, thats about it, as long as you have a happy face was all that matters, even on my small boats, i take mates out, i like to know that i can afford it all, and if mates wanna help pay for fuel, im open to spilt, apart from that, i dont go fishing, if i cant afford to go out at all. thats me shane, but yeah, the 5.7 Spirit, is only 4mm bottom and 3mm side, maybe theres a big gap in weight? but we have own the quintrex from day one it was made. Its never costed us soo much to run. Only the service is, close to $700

Off shore where? Out of GC

We are talking about off straddie area.

My boat uses jack all fuel if i go beacons n fish bay or even GC. Theres not much travelling invovled.

Same as me when i go out with my dad or any of my uncles. I dont have to pay for fuel nor bait. They even bring food and drinks. All they do is use my gear ( which in long run i think is costing me more, with amount of tackle they loose).

Each boat is different. You cant just think oh i paid this much with him when i went why are you asking for more.

My deckies are normally good coz we all close mates. They see how much goes in owning boat and ndver complain to pay up.

But...

I have had few people ask me couple times. They never got offered spot again.

Go on charter if you want to offshore or with certain person who you only have to pay certain amount with.

Shane i think you got me wrong here, i was more concern as to why he uses up soo much fuel and what outboard hes running. Not that im having a go at him for charging people this much. Money has never been an issue for me, i understand why people help, because every dollar isnt easy to make.

But hey, on my side of view, i just wanted to say my opinion on our boats we have here in our yard, not that im saying "im not gonna pay that much if i go out with you". Is that kinda clear to you? as for decky spots, ive not yet been on someones else boat but myself and my families, so i yet to know what it like.

as for offshore, we jump the bar at currumbin, and we head out to our snapper grounds, off the top of my head. i cant remember the distances or else outside of tweed, trolling for GT. So dont get me wrong here, im not having a go at anyone, im more curious as to why it costs him that much.

The reason he uses or any of use close to that much fuel is coz of the travel time and distance.

We might have different motors and boats but the costs are similiar in the end.

No im not getting you wrong. Im just trying to explain to you that You are trying to compare bay fishing trips to offshore. Read your comments again.

And your trying to compare your small tinnys to big purpose built offshore boats.

And you comparing going out with your family and taking other people out. Off course your not going to ask money from family. I know i dont. They offer to pay in advance.

Tangalooma isnt far lol. i rekon il do that much if i drive properly and fish around there all day.

BUT i didnt buy big boat to fish the bay and drop crab pots with lol.

If i wanted that i would have kept my centerconsle.

I personally bought it so i can go fishing on days others dont or cant.

Going out of currumbin isnt far. The bars next to the ramp and you dont have to go too far to find good ground. Same as Tweed 9 mile its not that far.

Its mainly car travel to those spots.

Il explain better so you get better picture. Lets just say going off straddie is twice as going to the beacons.

$60 + $60= $120.

And you have got a 150hp 4 stroke on a 5.6 plate boat.

In that sense Kurts not too bad.

$160 With 200hp suzuki 2 stroke on a 6 meter fibre glass and he trolls around all day.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alot of guys dont realise just how much it cost to own a boat the fuel bait ect is the cheap part my theory is if you put a dollar in the tank put a dollar a side for maintenance . i have a cruise craft 625 pursuite it had a 210hp 4.3ltr v6 on average it would travel at 1.4 -1.5 ks per ltr @ 25knts i dont think that was to bad for a heavy boat its abit differnt now with the 300hp up grade .if you want a 50/50 split with a deckie dont meet him at the boat ramp . i like to meet new people and if they give me a few bucks im happy thats fishing

i own a boat with full intensions of paying for every thing any thing else is a bonus :)

All depends on where and what your wanting to do

Local fish 2 deckies I usually charge 30-40 each

Trolling or reef fishing70-80 each and go thirds in bait

If domeone contacts me and says they want to go fishing, then they pay 75% of the cost because its not a decky spot wanted case

You look at a trolling trip off strady

Fuel for the car $50.00min

Fuel for the boat $160.00 min

Oil for the boat $15.00 min

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

And then their is the loss of tackle ect

WHOA!!!! Man, what outboard are you running? we have a 5.7m Quintrex Spirit with a yamaha 150hp 4 stroke, run it all day! troll and travelling at WOT, and it costs us $70

MAX for the day!!! $160 is NUTS!!!!

Would love to deckie for you if it only cost $70 to run all day.

Is this in the bay or offshore

My 140 suzuki on a 5.8 platey takes about 70-80 liters to go off straddie leave it running all day keep backing on spots. Fish the fads boat rock sevens troll around most day

This is me driving normal in the bay going and coming back.

My mates got a 150hp yamaha 4 stroke on a 6meter yalta and his is about same for same trip.

I

In the bay and offshore, never have we had to pay more then $70 for fuel. To be honest, Dad never asked anyone to pay for anything, just bring your own rod and reel, thats about it, as long as you have a happy face was all that matters, even on my small boats, i take mates out, i like to know that i can afford it all, and if mates wanna help pay for fuel, im open to spilt, apart from that, i dont go fishing, if i cant afford to go out at all. thats me shane, but yeah, the 5.7 Spirit, is only 4mm bottom and 3mm side, maybe theres a big gap in weight? but we have own the quintrex from day one it was made. Its never costed us soo much to run. Only the service is, close to $700

Off shore where? Out of GC

We are talking about off straddie area.

My boat uses jack all fuel if i go beacons n fish bay or even GC. Theres not much travelling invovled.

Same as me when i go out with my dad or any of my uncles. I dont have to pay for fuel nor bait. They even bring food and drinks. All they do is use my gear ( which in long run i think is costing me more, with amount of tackle they loose).

Each boat is different. You cant just think oh i paid this much with him when i went why are you asking for more.

My deckies are normally good coz we all close mates. They see how much goes in owning boat and ndver complain to pay up.

But...

I have had few people ask me couple times. They never got offered spot again.

Go on charter if you want to offshore or with certain person who you only have to pay certain amount with.

Shane i think you got me wrong here, i was more concern as to why he uses up soo much fuel and what outboard hes running. Not that im having a go at him for charging people this much. Money has never been an issue for me, i understand why people help, because every dollar isnt easy to make.

But hey, on my side of view, i just wanted to say my opinion on our boats we have here in our yard, not that im saying "im not gonna pay that much if i go out with you". Is that kinda clear to you? as for decky spots, ive not yet been on someones else boat but myself and my families, so i yet to know what it like.

as for offshore, we jump the bar at currumbin, and we head out to our snapper grounds, off the top of my head. i cant remember the distances or else outside of tweed, trolling for GT. So dont get me wrong here, im not having a go at anyone, im more curious as to why it costs him that much.

The reason he uses or any of use close to that much fuel is coz of the travel time and distance.

We might have different motors and boats but the costs are similiar in the end.

No im not getting you wrong. Im just trying to explain to you that You are trying to compare bay fishing trips to offshore. Read your comments again.

And your trying to compare your small tinnys to big purpose built offshore boats.

And you comparing going out with your family and taking other people out. Off course your not going to ask money from family. I know i dont. They offer to pay in advance.

Tangalooma isnt far lol. i rekon il do that much if i drive properly and fish around there all day.

BUT i didnt buy big boat to fish the bay and drop crab pots with lol.

If i wanted that i would have kept my centerconsle.

I personally bought it so i can go fishing on days others dont or cant.

Going out of currumbin isnt far. The bars next to the ramp and you dont have to go too far to find good ground. Same as Tweed 9 mile its not that far.

Its mainly car travel to those spots.

Il explain better so you get better picture. Lets just say going off straddie is twice as going to the beacons.

$60 + $60= $120.

And you have got a 150hp 4 stroke on a 5.6 plate boat.

In that sense Kurts not too bad.

$160 With 200hp suzuki 2 stroke on a 6 meter fibre glass and he trolls around all day.

I was never comparing it to my small tinny. thats why i mention, our big boat which is the quintrex 5.7m.

i also think your going off course here too shane, but thats great that you love your offshore fishing, thats why you have a bigger style boat, but hey, im quite happy fishing the shore line, in my smaller tinny, nothing wrong with that, its more then enough for me, its what i wanna do, or else i have my dads boat, thats why we have three different boats at home.

Nothing wrong with a good feed of sand crabs, my dad may have bought it brand new, but hes not scared to pull up a few pots :)

Each rig is going to use different amounts of fuel dependent on a whole array of factors, and its like comparing oranges and apples. It just can't be done.

What can be compared though is those that can continue fishing into the future funded by their own resources and those that are going to be reliant on a limited 'client base' to continue their passion and pasttime.

I personally don't expect much from a deckie. I don't charge them, or expect them to wash the boat IF I take them out. But I do expect them to respect my boat and a big no no with me is giving my spots out or taking loads of people to them which flog them n show more people!! (fair enough if it's a well known spot but somewhere they've never fished before definately ticks me off) Have taken a number of people out only to fish the same spots the week after and they're there with someone elses boat and a few other anglers.

I'm pretty sure I've argued with Dell a couple of time over me leaving him some money or hanging around to help wash the boat. He's just flat refused it.

but hey... I can't believe this thread is still going.

How many times can the same conversation and opinion be rehashed? If you feel like you are not getting your message across, maybe you should just suck it up and accept that you won't or accept that you can both have a different opinion? You're all adults, not kids.

Archived