Great keppel Island

reelchippy

There is a couple of hire boats at the resorts , small tinnys with outboards. There was also a houseboat there to hire aswell, not sure theese days if its still there.

There is also a charter boat that runs out of roslyn bay ,small groups to the close reefs & other islands.

Landbased fishing is pretty good from the points(outside the green zones)& on the eastern side of the island, A bit of a walk over the top thou.

I'll make some contacts for ya, and get back to you later.

This trout was caught 50mts off south kepple.

[img size=328]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Scan20013.JPG

post-742-144598426416_thumb.jpg

Theres plenty of them there,

Another good spot is next to the \"underwater observitory\" hand feed and in great numbers.

But go in under the cover of darkness (special opps) and take your pick. :evil:

:whistle:

Nah serious now.. there is good fishing ,Just let me know when you are going and I'll give you some spots ,Either a small tinny or land based should see you with a feed.

Thats my home country up there . I know it well

I grew up fishing those Islands. There's a small island off North Keppel called pleasent or conical that has only one camping site so when you stay there you are literally the only people on the island. Just north of there is a rocky reef which produces some serious fishing. Everything from trout through to massive Mackerel. I saw a Mackeral at least 8 feet long bite a Tuna in two in mid air there once.

I know there is definatly a charter that they organise for you, i dont know where it goes from though. I was there last year around easter.....

be warned do not try and walk to the lighthouse on the otherside of the island. it is incredibly incredibly far away and over some ruggered terrain. If your going on the wave runners leave that till the last day, we did it on the first and our arms and legs were aching for the other 4 days lol. the camels smell.

I went there last year this time for my honeymoon around the back of Keppel there is a nice beach and we were fishing poppers there for queenies and trevally they move up and down the beach so keep casting till you stir them up there is some big fish amongst them.

Lozzel- I know what you meen about the underwater observatory huge fish there I snorkelled it.

My info is pretty old, we used to regularly camp over on Keppel 20 years ago when I was a kid but Long Beach on the Southern side of the island used to be full of beach worms for land based fishing.

If you can ditch the missus and kids for a while and want to try some \"sand based\" fishing, the bottom end of Main beach away from the resort and also Leakeys and Putneys beach used to hold good numbers of \"white pointers\". My tackle was obviously too small because I never had much success landing one of those!!

Have a good trip.

Archived