crazywalrus

Great new for Jungle Perch!!

Sent: Monday, 4 March 2013 10:45 AM

Subject: DAFF Media Release - Jungle perch on the comeback trail

Queensland Government

Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

4 March 2013

Jungle perch on the comeback trail

Researchers at the Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry’s (DAFF) Bribie Island Research Centre have bred the first ever, captive jungle perch fingerlings.

Research leader Dr Michael Hutchison said the 35mm fingerlings were reared from fertilised eggs through to a size suitable for stocking into rivers over a period of 60 days.

“Previously no larvae have been reared beyond six days old and a few millimetres long,†Dr Hutchison said.

“Over the years, jungle perch have become very scarce but now there is the potential to reintroduce this species to rivers in South-eastern Queensland and in the Mackay-Whitsunday region.

“There are still significant challenges ahead to improve early larval survival and the production of sufficient quantities of fingerlings for viable restocking, but we have made tremendous progress to reach this point.

“This breakthrough is very exciting news not only for the sustainability of the species, but for the broader community and recreational fishers.

“Restocking our rivers with jungle perch would provide a big boost to local recreational fishing.â€

Jungle perch are an iconic angling fish reaching more than 3kg in weight. Their habitat includes coastal rivers and streams from Cape York to Northern New South Wales. They spend most of their life in freshwater but migrate to salt water to spawn.

The jungle perch project is co-funded by the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation. On completion, the production technology will be provided to private commercial hatcheries.

Latest fisheries information is also available via Twitter – www.twitter.com/fisheriesQLD or find us on Facebook at ww.facebook.com/Fisheries Queensland.

Media: Mark Hodder 3087 8583

post-2042-144598926726_thumb.jpg

I think from memory it was somewhere around 15 fry survived to grow out which is awesome.

It's only a small number but huge in achievement considering all other spawns have died off.

Hopefully next years spawning season will see some good numbers raised.

Can they breed them more than once per year?

I imagine they could trick them into thinking it was perfect breeding time year-round?

The thought of stocked impoundment jungle perch is... well... exciting :)

I think from memory it was somewhere around 15 fry survived to grow out which is awesome.

It's only a small number but huge in achievement considering all other spawns have died off.

I imagine they could trick them into thinking it was perfect breeding time year-round?

I think they are like many other natives Terry where they only produce eggs once or twice a year in season.

Even then they generally need to be induced when i captivity.

The scientist at the Bribie Island research station can breed them at will by controlling water salinity and light.

The problem to be overcome was how to raise the fry to fingerling stage as previously it had proven impossible to get the fry to feed once they had absorbed the yolk.

Thanks to a major push by organisations such as SUNFISH, FFSAQ, ANSA Qld and support from many individuals, funding was obtained from the FRDC to fund a 3 year project to overcome this problem.

Very very cool.

Like woggie these are a bucket list fish.

Having some more serious sized skinny water fish is just exciting.

Thanks for the information. May even transfer this to the front page for peoples interest and for community awareness...

Angus

I think they are like many other natives Terry where they only produce eggs once or twice a year in season.

Even then they generally need to be induced when i captivity.

Yes, but in a tank they can simulate the breeding conditions, whether it be water temp, air temp, light and salinity (like Luc53 said) etc. If they didn't do that, I imagine breeding research would take decades longer as they only have 1 or 2 cracks per year at it.

An opportunity to visit the Bribie Island research station is well worth it.

Apart from everything else going on, seeing those jungle perch in their tanks is awesome!!

Do they allow pulic access/viewing etc?

They are te only fish that make me buy gulp.

2" shrimp account for a fair few of those critter, great fish to chase as they require so much tracking through pirating bush to find and catch.

Always had fun chasing them with tony in cairns, can only be a good thing them ring a viable species to chase closer to home!!

Callum

glad you enjoy chasing them in my local creek mate, as you well know their extreme shyness pi##es me off!

Archived