Not the best day for it

tomca

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-26/kayaker-safe-after-capsizing-and-drifting-for-six-hours/4713372

Guys like this will cause the law makers to rush through some ill conceived legislation about kayaking.

Seriously, if you can't get back on you kayak in deep water then you need to rethink taking a 14km return trip across the bay in windy chop. Its too cheap and easy to buy a yak now and throw a rod in it, read some forum posts not even consider that skill, fitness and experience might be required to safely complete a trip.

I have gone out in some fairly average conditions and been caught out in summer storms that have thrown up 1m+ chop in the bay and been a little concerned, but to hang off the side of my kayak and let the wind and current determine where you end up, no way. Lucky the westerleys weren't blowing and send him off the north end of Moreton Island.

>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-26/kayaker-safe-after-capsizing-and-drifting-for-six-hours/4713372

Guys like this will cause the law makers to rush through some ill conceived legislation about kayaking.

Seriously, if you can't get back on you kayak in deep water then you need to rethink taking a 14km return trip across the bay in windy chop. Its too cheap and easy to buy a yak now and throw a rod in it, read some forum posts not even consider that skill, fitness and experience might be required to safely complete a trip.

I have gone out in some fairly average conditions and been caught out in summer storms that have thrown up 1m+ chop in the bay and been a little concerned, but to hang off the side of my kayak and let the wind and current determine where you end up, no way. Lucky the westerleys weren't blowing and send him off the north end of Moreton Island.

totally agree! the first rule when yakking for me is never leave the group or anybody behind, breaking this rule is what got him in this situation.

Archived