mooloolah river pikeathon

pcsolutionman

Went out for a couple of hours this evening to the moorings again, it was a bit of a strugle to get anything but pike they were in plague proportions and ravenous. It was cast out get 3 hits on the drop form pike a couple of twitches and a few more hits lol ended up catching over 50 in a couple of hours needless to say had a heap of plastics chewed up :angry: . managed to pull just the one bream just over 28cm on a 3\" gulp minnow in pumpkinsead on a 1/16th nitro head

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/mooloolah%20river/p1020254-web.jpg:angry:

Did you even use Gulps with the Pike around? It gets expensive that way. You can pick up Power Minnows for $6 for a pack of 16 I think it is by memory :S (I haven't bought a packet of them for about 6 months as I still have 15 or so packs of them to use) and Pike take them just as much.

Bream will also take them without effort. Get some 2inch Gulp Jigging Grubs if you really want to use Gulps and not worry about pike chewing up the buggers. You get 20 in a pack and the Smoke colour is transparent like Powerbaits anyway, not a solid colour like Pumpkinseed and the rest of them ;) . I use Gulp when I'm fishing tournaments as it gets rid of most Pelagics looking for a feed as Power Minnows have a nice shine to them. But when fishing socially I try to use Power Minnows mostly as I don't mind the by catch, they are cheaper and it takes more skill to get fish on Plastics rather then Gulp.

Good Bream anyway. Pike are fun when there's nothing else around, but it sounds as though you couldn't find out if there was anything else around cause there was so dam many of them! Did you try topwater? Or were they holding deep? Because schooling Pike love topwater stuff and you can quite often tempt them up if fishing clear water from a distance.

Troy

Archived