Bow Mount Electric

rathabfishin2

Thought I might jump on the bandwagon and throw it out there. I am looking for a SW bow mount 12V 55lb or close. At the moment I am stretching it to afford a brand new minn kota and all that is needed (batteries etc) and will buy one later.

For now I am just looking for something with foot control to allow me to adjust drifts, move to and from structure quietly for my trip to HBAY. A minn kota would be nice if someone has one

If anyone has a second hand Jwalker or Kota that they have been thinking of selling let me know!

Cheers Andrew

I had the exact same electric on my old boat and it copped a flogging there awesome wished i got a motor guide over my I-pilot have now, after a session just get a hose out and wash the salt off it!, Didn't have any rust or corrosion on it, took the boat out 2-3 times a week had the tinny for over a year!, I've heard you can get some spray for them that counteract the effect of corrosion?

I had the exact same electric on my old boat and it copped a flogging there awesome wished i got a motor guide over my I-pilot have now, after a session just get a hose out and wash the salt off it!, Didn't have any rust or corrosion on it, took the boat out 2-3 times a week had the tinny for over a year!, I've heard you can get some spray for them that counteract the effect of corrosion?

Salt away is one product i know of. What issues did you have with your i pilot?

Salt away is one product i know of. What issues did you have with your i pilot?

nothing really, just prefer the cable steer and can't go past the price of a motor guide

Cable steer is the way to go guys! I know a lot of people with i-pilots and ALL of them have had troubles with them. Its almost like they are designed to break. Haven't heard many good stories about BLA's service centre either..

The freshwater Motorguide I have is fine to use in salt. I have been for years, and know plenty of others who have too. Only thing you need to add is an anode which I think was under $10 from BIAS.

I will agree with all the above comments, had an Ipilot, sold it and got a Maxxum, way better for me. Cable steer just has heaps less stuff to have dramas with, and I was a shocker for leaving my Ipilot remote at home.

If you look around you can get a good cable steer (Kota or Motorguide whatever your preference may be) shipped from the US for around $1000 (even cheaper for the Motorguide), last one I bought got here in 2 days!

Ok so what do ppl think about the Jarvis walker range?

Cheap, but for a reason.

My watersnake is going on 4 years now and has been from N.QLD salt to multiple trips to various impoundments where it will pretty much run 10 days straight. Hasn't missed a beat and probably equal hours to my outboard. As with any brand/model you get, good maintenance will ensure it lasts the distance, I am certain it will see another couple of years.

Eug you are the first of my mates that owns one that hasnt had problems. everyone else has had major issues

So what is your opinion on Minn kota?

Seem to be a nice solid unit, especially if you go cable steer, less on them to go wrong. In saying that a few mates have ipilot without issue.

Im no professional, i just go off what i have seen.

Eug you are the first of my mates that owns one that hasnt had problems. everyone else has had major issues

All about maintenance mate. When I first got it, I took it apart and have got grease, silicone and lanox in all the spots that looked like a point of water ingress. Also did exactly the same with my mate's Minn Kota (they are all more or less the same). I've probably heard equal amount of issues between Minn Kota and Watersnakes. Motorguide tops the list with number of issues, with the exception of cable steer.

To answer Andrew's question, if you've got the dollars to stretch then get the Minn Kota (I would). However if your budget is limited then the Watersnake will do the job for a few years (like I have) until you decide to keep it or upgrade, keep in mind whatever you get will be an upgrade from what you have now. My Watersnake is still going and I'll keep using it until it carks it.

You will need to price up:

- Mounting bracket (if you want to be able to remove it) and possibly custom fabrication to the boat

- Anderson plugs (or similar, waterproof connectors is ideal)

- Circuit breaker or fuses (about 50 amps)

- Wiring

- Various lug, connectors, heatshrink, crimping, etc.

- Deep cycle battery (amps depending on boat size) + box

- Battery charger

Depending on the type and size of the battery you are probably looking in the vicinity of $300-500 on top of the electric motor and if you can do some of the work yourself or not

At least the watersnakes use tinned wire and can take a little salt water.

Cheers

Ray

That did impress me when I opened her up. I also requested the updated board which they sent out for free (nothing wrong with the previous one). The entire board is embedded in a resin which means that no amount of salt or water is getting in there.

How long was it in use for? The watersnake as an alternative is what I am steering towards. I don't know much about the motorguides but have not heard many bad things about JW

I think you've got that round the wrong way mate, cable steer motorguides are generally pretty good whereas almost everyone i know with a JW has had it fail on them.

Nothing wrong with using FW model cable steer leccys in the salt just rinse it down and remember to buy a sacrificial anode.

My experience.

I had a JW water snake and after it broke down 3 times with in the warranty period I decided enough was enough. The service from Jarvis Walker was excellent, however, after spending 4 hours driving to a competition taking a RDO off work to have a long weekend to fish a river, only to have the motor breakdown on 3 occasions I will never buy a water snake again. That's fresh water use only.

I now have a 80lb Terrova Rip tide with ipilot and it has been excellent. Far better build quality and easier to deploy than the Water Snake and the ipilot is essential for me. I have used this far more than the WS.

I carry 2 remotes which allows either of the people in the boat to take over operation of the motor when the other hooks up. It also doubles as a back up if the one of the remotes batteries go flat.

If all else fails and a remote fails I have a foot pedal as back up.

I got a 3 year warranty with the Minn Kota and have not required it, compared to 3 times with the water snake in fresh water use only.

I did fish with a guy that had a motor guide and it was fine except every time you adjusted the steering it would beep. Don't know if that function could be turned off, but it gave me the $hits big time and why I went with the MK.

Good luck with what ever you end up. Good and bad in all camps it seems.

Archived