LED Floodlights

Binder

Been thinking about getting some LED flood lights for the boat.

Plan is to use one for the back for reversing down ramps at night, one for the nose for running up to banks etc at night, also be good for hitching up the trailer and loading the gear in to the boat.

Been watching them on Ebay for a while, finally scored a pair of 100mm x 27 watt units for the right price.

Anyone used this sort of flood light before? Know how much light they will throw?

post-11051-144598993221_thumb.jpg

please keep us posted how well these actually work and how much they drain your battery. I am looking for something for mine to mount to the rocket launchers for night fishing. I have a 1000000 candle power torch that i'll use for spotting the channel markers but its way overkill for general knot tying and fish landing etc.

Are they directional? What is the construction like? How good is the o-ring? I would be putting some silicon grease gently around the o-ring. Is it stainless steel mounting hardware?

Cheers :-)

not quite the same but i have an led light bar on my ute. 20" 120W hybrid flood/beam reflectors. my opinion on led lights is that they are perfect for flood applications but dont expect to get too much distance out of them regardless of the reflectors.

these would be perfect for the boat (low speed), camp set up and reversing down a dark boat ramp. 27W you'd be looking at around 2.3 amps. i would most certainly be getting something similar to what you posted for reversing lights and launching/retrieving at night.

definitely get something ip68 rated and ensure that any wiring entry into the unit is sikaflexed or pointing down. ensure that the heatsink has good ventilation and you should be fine. consider relays if you go bigger wattage.

Well mounted one on the front of the boat last night, the toads on the lawn had to go home and get their sun glasses, pretty happy with the light it knocks out. Perfect for nosing about in my old girl at night.

Still thinking about mount location on the back, dont want it to get in the way.

Might be a bit bright to work under, might need some sun screen ;)

I'd go a smaller wattage if you wanted them for that.

28W is very bright for work lighting so ill look into half that..I have 1w in the kitchen bulkhead and they produce a bit of light so around 5w should do the trick.

Are they cool white or warm white? Cool white burns the colour out of everything and wrecks your night vision at high wattage...

Do you have any other LED lighting around your boat? I have been looking at the strip lights that stick on....Anyone here use them? E-bay?

thanks

Archived