Club Membership

AFO

Interesting concept - should definitely make the forum more "fishing focused" and provides a great incentive for those who might use the site occasionally to use it more regularly or post reports about trips more often.

Just wondering if it could be worth looking into a "life membership" for some of the long term members and very regular contributors to the site - eg Ray, Dino, Ellicat etc where there is no doubt whatsoever about their long-term contribution to the site.

Interesting concept - should definitely make the forum more "fishing focused" and provides a great incentive for those who might use the site occasionally to use it more regularly or post reports about trips more often.

Just wondering if it could be worth looking into a "life membership" for some of the long term members and very regular contributors to the site - eg Ray, Dino, Ellicat etc where there is no doubt whatsoever about their long-term contribution to the site.

Yes, that was an item considered, so long-standing members who have significantly contributed to AFO were rewarded for this previous effort. As the points have been accruing for years (and for every members forum contribution), all members who have contributed have points reflecting their contributions respectively. Eg a member with 12,000+ points has enough points for 8 years of Club Membership, upon which time they would need to use money to renew this membership they would most probably earned sufficient points in those 8 years to renew again with points :)

Over the next few days as the system is established, AFO will consider adding a new class of Life Membership as well as longer subscription periods (eg more than 12 months).

Well worded article, that actually clarified items for me as well.

Thanks members so far for being supportive. Once or twice since running this site fellow owners and I have literally be accused of "rolling in money" courtesy of the site. I can honestly say this is anything from true with numerous bills being taken care of from our own pockets. Would I continue to do this? Within reason yes as the friends, contacts and experiences I have gained from this site are priceless. In saying that, it is hugely satisfying to know people enjoy the site enough to help it become self sustainable as it really validates to me (and I am sure other admin) the effort that has gone into over the years.

I also feel this has been devised so it rewards long term members and eliminates to some extent people using the site without giving much back. Now even if a member posts a For Sale post and then disappears never to be heard from again, the site has at least benefited. Well done tech boys for the hard work far beyond my technologically retarded abilities!

Cheers everyone.

Angus

Very well thought out way to raise funds for afo while recognizing long time member's input and also done without penalizing new members by restricting their access to the site.

I've made some good mates through afo and am more than happy to pay the $15 per year to a site I visit every day.

Excellent value.

Dino with your points you could trade for 4 and a half years of free membership :)

That is another thing I love about the system. It gives members a genuine reason to make helpful posts. Will serial one word answer people also benefit. Well yes. However genuinely helpful posts will earn members more points. I noticed upon thanking the list of positive remarks in this thread that each "thanks" earned them a point. So someone who takes the time to word a great reply, do a great report etc, can actually be rewarded by community acclaim... I think this is gold personally as members will be directly contributing to others points count as well as there own.

Angus

well done,and about time we started paying some of our way on a subscription basis :)

3 questions :

Q1/ 15 is an odd number, would admin consinder $20 for 18 months memberships..

Q/2 For people like me who do direct deposits (eg:event payments ), may we deposit in your BoQ acct and notifiy with a PM when this was done

Q/3 is ecat trying to get 2 life memberships worth of points,with all his thank yous`in this thread :P

cheers Gad

1. The cost is set at $15 (1500 points) for 12 months.

2. Unfortunately no, as the system automatically generates the subscriptions electronically

3. Haha well it does reward those that interact, so if a member takes the time to thank a post, then as well as awarding points to the member making they will earn points.

Very good idea I reckon.

Can I suggest another possible discount for club members?

Knock a couple of bucks of entry fee for serious comps for club members.?

That way if they do most of the serious comps they would also get the equivalent of their membership back as well as it encourages them to enter more comps.

Good idea,

just signed up for a year (with points that i had apparently accumulated) Cheers BFO!!

Something to remember as a really valid point= Over the years i have sold A LOT of tackle through this site. If this was Ebay I would have had to pay A LOT in commissions... Even if i had to purchase a full membership this would probably still be a cheaper way of selling gear and reaching a pretty big group of active anglers always keen on buying tackle...

cheers Sweresy

• 3 years later...

Archived