My new project - 4.9 tinnie

Feral

Well thanks to Ray, I am about to be the owner of not one, but 2 boats!

Dunno if I listed it before, but Ray had kindly offered an 8 foot tinnie to me for nix, its an old \"recycleland\" score he made a while back, a bit of welding and patching and she is a little beauty!

Anyway while I was over there, he gets a message on Ebay, he had put in a bid on a 4.9m tinnie on Ebay, someone else had won it, but the deal had fallen through, so he was offered it as a \"second chance\" buy for a little over 500 bucks. He wanted to know if I was interested.

So after consulting \"she who must be obeyed\" I decided yes I was!

So shortly I will the proud owner of my very own Tinnie collection!

She is a bit rough, and needs some TLC, but it will make a good project. I will have to build a trailer for her, but Ray reckons he has most of the necessary parts in his shed (probably enough for 3 trailers if you believe mum!), so hopefully that wont cost to much in the end!

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/3f_12.JPG

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/08/23 18:17

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/08/23 18:17

post-134-144598400295_thumb.jpg

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt she will be ready for Awonga, planning to go in Ray's boat anyway. Putting the trailer together will take a while, as it is the pointy end of the car Rally season, and I am committed to at least two rounds of the Qld championship between now and november, both a trip to Glenlyon and then Awonga in that time frame as well! In the next 3 months thats 6 weekends plus preperation time!

I think Ray is going to ask my Uncle if he can help with the Boat trailer, well see what happens.

Anyway I'd want to get her up and running for a while so I am sure of the reliability before I took on a big trip - I'd be pretty $$#% if I towed it all the way up to Awonga to throw a leg out of bed in the motor!

Well we picked it up today so i will leave it up to feral to describe. Dropped into to M.O. Tackle at Coffs Harbour all i can say is WOW if you are ever down that way drop in but be warned you need at least a day. How about 40metres of 2metre high racks of just lures. Its like K Mart but just fishing and camping.

Ps

Please save alfoil scraps and empty sardine tine for ferals boat.

pps no it actually looks good

ray

Well got her home alright, did a bit of damage to Ray's tralier in the process, so a bit of advice for anyone using a trailer with a tilt mechanism over long distances empty, Dont! Find some way of locking up the tilt mechanism, with out the weight of the boat on the trailer, the mechanism is free to wobble about.

The constant action has flogged out the pin mount quite a bit, you can wobble the winch mount back and forth a good foot! Its still safe, but needs to be repaired.

Anyway, apart from some young bloke with his hat on backwards trying to drive over the top of us in Coffs Harbour it was a fairly uneventful trip, just long, from the time I left my place to pick up Ray, to when I got home was 14 hours, and 900k's. Highlight of the trip was the toss up between the price of fuel ($1.45/l) or the price of Banana's ($7 a kilo for lady fingers I would rate as 3rd grade) in Coffs Harbour as the biggest rip off!

A quick side trip to MO Tackle, I have covered elsewhere.

Well have started the planning for the trailer for the boat. A quick inspection of the hull while it was still on Rays trailer showed it was in pretty good nick, will need some work around the transom, but figured to get it on a trailer before worrying about it to much (Besides to get it to Ray's mate who is a handy aluminium welder, requires a trailer :whistle: )

As the boat was only about 500mm over on Rays trailer, and Ray had shortened his trailer by 450mm, I reckon I will base it on his trailer, but add the bit he cut off the draw bar back on!

So a quick trip to the local steel merchant for some rough steel prices.

65mm RHS Galv $101.04 length

100x50mm RHS Galv $139.52 length

65x35mm RHS Galv $76.08 length

And they wont sell me partial lengths.

I need roughly 15m of steel to build the trailer, which means 2 lengths of 65mm RHS, or $200 of new steel, or $350 if I use differing sizes!

Spoke with Ray, and on one of his recycle land trips he had scrounged a 70x50mm RHS box trailer frame (new), sized at 7x4foot. A quick calc shows using this as the rear of a boat trailer, with an 10 foot draw bar will give me roughly the right sized trailer. It is not Galvanised, but apparently is 4mm thick, so a coat of marine grade paint or galvanising paint it should take a few years to rust through! (You can replace the steel in the trailer totally for the price of hot dip galvanising a trailer, and it will still rust anyway!)

As the \"Project\" is pretty flat bottomed, we reckon we can get away with no V shape in the trailer, so all I need now for the main trailer frame is 3.5 m of 65mm RHS. I'll go see the boys at the Engineeering works we use at work, they should do me an all right deal.

Then I have to get the 10x5 tandem trailer to pick up the various bits from Rays.

I have just put the 25 HP motor on to my 200litre poly drum for the moment, it turns over and has compression, so might be a goer. I am not to worried about it, as Ray reckons he can scrounge me another 25HP motor if necessary.

Well things are progressing.

Ray has started modifying the trailer frame he has at his place, slight change in design ordered today, he spoke with his Boiler maker mate, and as we are a bit short of 70x50 RHS for the draw bar, the last 3 chassis rails are coming out, and being replaced with 50mm RHS in a V to give us some drop on the rear of the boat. The removed 70 x 50 x 4mm RHS chassis rails will be but welded and spliced to form the draw bar.

I have also scrounged an old 6x4 box trailer from a mates back paddock where it has been sitting for about 18 years. He had a mate who got divorced, and wanted the trailer hidden so the ex would not get it, as she had got everything else! (Pitty they hid it under the compost heap!)

This trailer is a little special. It has an old style torsion suspension system under it instead of springs. What does that mean? Well it means that the trailer axle has a 100mm drop from the stub axles. That means if I can use this axle, the boat trailer will sit roughly 100mm lower over the axle than if I used a straight through axle!

It has usable guards with a lot of surface rust, with a couple of pin holes through, but basically sound, good 13inch holden rims, mind you the crossply tyres whilst they have air in them, they are going to the tip! It also has a NSW chassis number and number plate on it. As it is so old, I can then just register the \"new trailer\" with the old details, and a compliance plate, because I have \" structurally modified\" the original trailer (there is enough old bits going into it to qualify for this)

The rest of it is that rusty, I reckon I will be able to put my thongs on and stomp it into a small enough size to sneak it into the wheelie bin (Did I mention 13\" cross ply tyres will fit neatly into a 250litre wheelie bin?)

ANyway I have asked Ray to start taking photo's as he progresses, he is getting a good run on it, I hope to get down to his place sunday to pitch in myself!

Archived