My new project - 4.9 tinnie

Feral

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Righto- The Trailer - She's build!

Went over to rays today and finished her off. Took here home this arvo, noe just needs cleaning up with rust converter and then a coat or two of paint!

Ray had pciked up another box trailer at the dump for $30, was able to get 2 good wheels and a coupling off it. All up the whole trailer has cost me $80 - (and quite a few man hours) Ray and I managed to scrounge virtually all necessary equipment and parts.

The trailer owes parts to 2 box trailers, a kids basketball ring stand, a prime mover's aluminium mudguard (cut down to make the mudguards on the boat) a set of brand new hubs from a mate at work, Victoria Point \"recycleland\" and Rays secret stash in the back of his sheds. (Well to be honest its not exactly the back of his shed, it is a bit like that supercheap add, absolutely chokers! except I reckon Ray would not remember when he was last able to actually get his main shed door closed!)

The photo I took of her complete before I drove home, I did not copy from Rays camera! So I'll take a photo of her complete tomorrow, but here are the picks from today of the final fitout.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Img_8562.jpg

post-134-144598401005_thumb.jpg

Winch post and swing away jockey wheel.

Big thanks to Ray, and his and my mates who donated gear.

One sad note today - we heard the bloke who donated the draw bar (Ray's neighbour from across the road) passed away during the week, undiagnosed cancer apparently. [img size=459]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Img_8574.jpg

post-134-144598401304_thumb.jpg

JUST A BREAKDOWN OF COSTS.

BASIC FRAME $10 SOURCE = RECYCLELAND WAS ORIGIONALY FRAME OF A 7 X4 BOX TRAILER

OLD BOX TRAILER $30 SOURCE = RECYCLELAND TOWED IT UP TO SCRAP STEEL AREA AND SALVAGED AXLE, SPRINGS,COUPLEING,AND 7 PIN PLUG.

2 ROLLERS $11 PURCHASED NEW COULDNT FIND ENOUGH OLD ONES IN MY SHED.

3 ROLLER BRACKETS $15 TOO LAZY TO MAKE UP ONES FROM SCRAP METAL

3 U BOLTS $12

4 x 3 1/2 BOLTS TO MOUNT COUPLING TO DRAWBAR $3

2 ALLUMINIUM TRUCK MUDGUARDS $3 SOURSE RECYCLELAND.

EVERYTHING ELSE WAS SCROUNGED, MANUFACTURED OR CAME FROM MY TREASURE CHEST IN MY SHED.fOR EXAMPLE SWIVELL JOCKEY WHEEL MADE UP FROM 3 BROKEN JOCKEY WHEELS FROM SCRAP HEAP AT RECYCLELAND.

ALTHOUGH IT LOOKS PRETTY ROUGH AT THE MOMENT I RECKON IT WILL LOOK GOOD WHEN FINISHED. THE MUDGUARDS ARE A BIT ROUGH LOOKING AS THEY WERE ORIGIONALLY ROUND AND I HAD TO FLATTEN THEM OUT AND I DIDNT HAVE ACCESS TO A ROLLER. THEY WERE ALSO HARD TO BEND AS I DIDNT HAVE ACCESS TO A FOLDER AND THEY ARE 1/8TH THICK

ANY VOLUNTEERS TO DO THE PINSTRIPEING AND SCROLLWORK AFTER FERAL HAS PAINTED IT???????????

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/09/23 19:59

• 2 weeks later...

well, got back to this project today, pulled out the mill and stuck her in a 44gallon poly drum, and proceeded to try and fire her up.

She actually fired in the fuel left in the carby, because the fuel tank I was using had a broken riser and was not delivering fuel!

Could get her to run, but she would mainly only run for 10 or 15 seconds then stop. The starter motor is siezed, and I broke off the pull start, but once removed I just wound the cord around the top of the magneto, it worked fine for what I was trying to do.

Ray dropped in and had a look, reckons I need to pull off the carby and clean it out. Did get it to run well for about a minute before she snuffed out, it pulled well, reved well, water pump working ok etc etc, so it is looking good for the motor! He also reckons I might be able to resucitate the starter motor if I carefully work it with a shifter and penetrating oil.

I stripped the trailer down ready for painting, decided to go with killrust, cold Galv is just to expensive ($170 for 4 litres). Bunnings had killrust on special for $77 (general price around the ridges is $99) so that decided it.

Had a choice of mat black, white aluminium or gloss black. It has a warning on the aluminium colour saying it rubs off, so gloss black is the go.

Pic show trailer about 2 hours after using rust converter, she's just about done. Will leave overnight, wash down tomorrow morning early, then paint in the afternoon. (weather permitting)

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040194.jpg

post-134-144598401646_thumb.jpg

Boat trailer after 2 coats of Killrust Epoxy gloss black enamel. (Yes I bought 4 litres, could have got away with 2x1 litre tins to do the job! Oh well I supose lots of things will be painted black in the next few months.)

So total cost for trailer $80 plus paint another $80. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/painted.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/08 19:03

post-134-144598402019_thumb.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of the mill, I am still thinking about easiest way to strip off the carby bowl to clean it out. It looks like the starter motor and entire carby will have to be removed to access it, which seems silly to me, so I am sleeping on it. [img size=443]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040205.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/08 19:14

post-134-144598402025_thumb.jpg

As you can see even though the outside is beat up and weathered, underneath the cowl she is immaculate. I have also unsiezed the starter motor, was very easy to loosen up, standard 6 inch spanner and 2 minutes was all it took. I think it is more a case of all the grease has dried out than anything else. (Note pullstart is removed for easy starting after I broke the original cord!)

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040207.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/08 19:11

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/08 19:15

post-134-144598402031_thumb.jpg

I'd better peel off those mexican rego numbers as well!

The draw bar was made so it could be cut off once the motor is on, and I can tell how long it all is.

Then I'll back it into shed, and when motor clears back of shed by a couple of inches, where the roller door comes down is where it will get cut off! (allowing for coupling). [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040213.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/14 15:26

post-134-144598402054_thumb.jpg

Feral wrote:

Well mill is over at Fergs to see if he can breathe life into it.

Put the boat up on the trailer today, got all the rollers adjusted, winch post adjusted etc. Just got to add the roller on the winch stay and she is finished. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040212.jpg

Mate it looks great - you guys have done a fantas job.

Roller on the winch stay? What the fk? Do you mean where the winch clips meets the boat at the post? hy not just a padded \"Y\".

Looking at it nearly done - you could turn it into a forward steer if you want.

Well I scrounged a fuel pump from a 6hp Johnson (evinrude and johnson were the same company apparently). I was worried it might be to small, but it was identical. Ferg fitted it and cleaned the Carbie and plugs.

Went round to Fergs to help him lift it into the water drum after this morning fishing trip. Took a while but sussed out the choke and throttle settings needed to get her started, ran and coughed and stopped for a half hour or so, then we must have finished flushing out the old fuel and gunk, because she now starts first pull, and runs sweet as pie!

Only problem is now that when you put her in gear the prop dont spin! Was late getting home by then, so decided to think about it for a while. Half way home I remember that props have shear pins! bloody idiot! So hopefully thats all it is, not a stuffed gear box.

I have also finished installing the winch mount etc, so all I need is a quick trip down to Super Cheap for a strap to go over the back of the boat to hold it on the trailer and it is totally finished.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/21 14:55

Archived