My new project - 4.9 tinnie

Feral

Now that sounds like a plan.

He is having trouble with it anyway, with the extra weight on the back when he launches the boat, it tilts to that side and is scratching the Gel coat on part of the trailer, and because it sits lower, if you launch to fast, a wave of water comes over the back of the boat!

Yeah I 'll tell him I have a \"win win\" solution to his problem!l

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Ferg reports the shear pin is missing, but nut on prop is pretty coroded, and he does not have right tools for removal, so I reckon we will wait until Ray is back and see if he wants to tackle it. Also Ferg and I have never pulled down a boat motor gearbox, so if thats needed, Ray is the man anyway!

Well trailer is completely fitted out, took it out for a drive around the neighbourhood to see if it drove alright. Goes well, tow ball weight is 75kg, maximum allowed load on my towbar is 90kg, so it has a little reserve, but still might have to move axle.Will see how it goes when boat rebuild is complete.

I'll mark up the sus spots in the hull tommorrow, and let Ray and his mate with the Aluminium welding setup have a look. If they reckon they can repair them no probs, then I'll look at the gearbox on the motor, if they think the hull might be to weak for open water planing, I'll just fit her with electrics for freshwater and not worry about the outboard.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/finished.jpg

post-134-144598402163_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well Ray came and had a look at the trailer and boat setup, had the boat resting on the slides instead of the centre rollers, so dropped everything down another 3 inches to get weight being taken on main keel on rollers.

Packed her up and took her down to Ray's last night so he could look at the motor, and start the transom work.

Got report back from Ray this arvo.

Motor is a '76 model, and is missing a pin in the gearbox, which looks like it has let water into gear box, which means the motor will probably be a writeoff, as replacement gearbox is expected to be $250 plus, which is not worth spending that sort of money on a 30 year old motor. So looks like the old girl will be fresh water electric for a while!

Ray has started dismantling the transom, as expected all the old wood inside is rotten, and has damaged the aluminium adjacent to it. Ray reports that it should be easily repairable with aluminium he already has.

This pic is with the transom cover aluminium removed, showing the edge of the rotten wood. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/transom2.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/23 19:25

post-134-144598403071_thumb.jpg

Its a '76 25hp Evinrude 2 stroke

No serial number - long gone! but if you've got something that might fit it certainly would be appreciated!

A few more picks from Ray - the \"gunk\" removed from the transom, it was marine ply probably 50 years ago! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/transom3.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/23 21:06

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/23 21:06

post-134-144598403076_thumb.jpg

Well, Rays mate Gavin had a look at the boat last night.

He reckons it would be to hard to weld up the problem areas,he reckons easiest way is to just rivet a new sheet over the lot, filling the sandwich area with a film of sikoflex.

This is because the boat skin is only 2mm aluminium, is painted (apparently aluminium must be sanded totally back to clean metal on both sides before it can be welded, which means on an original 2mm thickness, whats left would be to thin to weld), and the existing riveted areas are caulked, and welding anywhere near them will cause the caulking to let go. It is no great issue as all the seams on the boat are already riveted.

He thinks he might have a sheet of 4mm marine grade aluminium he could let me have for the right amount of amber currency to go over the transom! Same with the stressed cracked area of the hull, welding in that area would cause the caulking in the nearby seams to fail, so just need to rivet a patch over that as well.

All sounds simple enough, but I reckon I am going to have arms like Popeye by the time all the riveting is done!

Also had a nice stroke to the old ego, Gavin runs a welding shop, and he had a look at the welding work I had done on the building of the trailer, and offered me a job! Nice to know after a 15 year break from welding I can still do work up to scratch!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/01 04:05

Brian,

I reckon you would have intimate knowledge of what the impeller does - stops motors from cooking! :unsure: they circulate the water around inside the motor.

Thats all most outboard gearboxes look like, and the only reason they dont jump out of second gear, is they dont have one!

Just heard from Ray, his mate has come through with a sheet of 4mm marine grade aluminium for the right price to rivet over the transom (2 carton of Gold!).

Sounds good, until I remembered Ray said he had picked up 300 blind rivets to attach it with! gunna look like popeye by the time we are done!

Feral wrote:

Brian,

I reckon you would have intimate knowledge of what the impeller does - stops motors from cooking! :unsure: they circulate the water around inside the motor.

Thats all most outboard gearboxes look like, and the only reason they dont jump out of second gear, is they dont have one!

OUCH! NO I KNOW:pinch:

BUT I HAD MINE REPLACED AT THE SERVICE 2 WEEKS BEFIRE IT BLEW - WELL AT LEAST HE CHARGED ME FOR REPLACEMENT

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/12/11 16:05

I dont buy everything on ebay ! I have been looking for replacement impeller for ferals project evinrude motor.

ebay price 1 $23.50 plus $4.50 postage from W.A

EBAY PRICE 2 $18.50 US WHICH EQUALS $24 AU APROX INCLUDES SURFACE MAIL POSTAGE FROM USA WITH A DELIVERY TIME OF 2- 3 MONTHS. $10 US EXTRA FOR AIR MAIL.

wYNNUM MARINE HAVE THEM IN STOCK FOR AROUND $26.

ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/12/11 18:11

SO that would normally require machining, oversize bearings and seals etc etc. All very expensive.

But no there is a wonderful little attachment called a speedi sleeve.

A Small stainless steel sleeve that gets pushed over the shaft, it is smooth and strong enough for the seal to work properly, yet thin enough no change on seal size is necessary. All for under $10 - bargain! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sleeve.jpg

post-134-144598403745_thumb.jpg

Archived