My new project - 4.9 tinnie

Feral

Well todat was the day!

The silver bullet rides again.

Started out this morning riveting the new transom into place. You'll notice the photo's are from when it was just about finished, did not have time for photo's once we started, had about 10 minutes to get all the rivets in once the transom was in place with the caulking compound in place, before it went off. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rP1010166.jpg

post-134-144598403842_thumb.jpg

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Launched her with the floor partially out to see how many leaks we had to contend with. Quite a few loose rivets weeping, and even a couple missing, but no dramas, although we should have taken a marker pen to mark the ones we need to retool! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/xP1010174.jpg

post-134-14459840386_thumb.jpg

Ray will be dropping her off Sunday, he has even offerd to let me hold onto the 4horse so I can use it as is (No registration yet!)

Ray is going to my sisters christmas arvo, and I think picking up his new boat on the way home, so mine gets evicted from his front yard to make room!

So now I've got to start on the interior. First thing will be to pull down the seats, and replace the floor under them. All the floor is old and a bit softer than I would like, so will caulk all the rivets under the seats, and put new floor in those areas. Replacement of rest of floor can await my leisure! I will just caulk the rivets, wack in some rod holders, safety gear etc etc, and do some fishing!

Feral wrote:

Back Seat Removed, including floor still attached. This looked like original flooring, had to grind a couple of rivets off, wood really well and truly rotten

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040941.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/25 16:30

Mate - it looks like a dive wreak again - what are you up too?

:blink:

Brian,

All of the seats are made of plywood except the vertical surfaces, and both the seats and the floor are pretty sad, having seen better days, so I have some plywood I am going to replace all the sad stuff with. Then a lick of paint.

Also I need to pull the floor out so I can check the hull rivets to see which ones are leaking, replace those that need it, and caulk the rest.

Angus has just set a trip for Baroon for Saturday, It would be nice to have her back together for that! So busy busy the next couple of days!

Well have reworked all the dodgy rivets I could find, put more than a few in that there was no rivet, just a hole!

Then I caulked all rivets that were through the hull only (no ribs etc).

Not worth caulking the others, as the sandwich of the ribs is impossible to caulk, a leak at one rivet could work through to anywhere.

The idea is if the rain stops I'll take her down to Burpengary creek ramp a couple of hours after low tide tomorrow, and with my trusty crayon, mark any rivets that leak. I will then drill them out, inject caulking through the hole and rerivet!

I'll repeat the process until either there are no more leaks, or they so so small and I am sick of it! Then the floor will go in, then the seats. (Might have no seats if I take her to Baroon this weekend, so no laughing if you see the majestic site of fisho's in deck chairs in a boat! - hey thats why they are called deck chairs!)

I also got myself a couple of 160amp hour 6 volt batteries off the battery joint at Wacol today (they generally sell through Ebay), picking them up tomorrow. Price was right! ;). Anyone else interested, and not wanting to go through the Ebay auction process, they sell them for $44 each with a 3 month waranty. Good Value!(remember you need two!)PM me and I can give you the details.

Putting the 6 volt batteries in series will give me 160amp hour at 12 volt, more than adequate for powering the big girl for a decent fishing trip (with my existing 2 x 42 amp hours on board as my reserve!) gives a total of 240 amp hours, roughly enough for 4.5 hours full throttle on the 55lb thrust electric!

Here is a pic of the hull interior after riveting and caulking (note the el cheapo open rivets are not in the hull, I used them to mark the holes as I drilled out dodgy rivets, (dropped them in loose) so I would not miss any holes later when riveting. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/caulking.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/27 18:28

post-134-144598404222_thumb.jpg

Ok, but well use your car to go get it!

Took her down to Burpengary creek at high tide and floated her out to check for leaks.

Was a bit of a problem, with the seats and floor out she was so light she would not sit in the water properly, was like trying to get a balloon to submerge, she just sat on top like a cork, with most of the rivets above the water line!

Eventually managed to check all the rivets by leaning on various sides and ends, found about 5 or 6 minor leaks, one an old rivet put in by the previous owner that the centre have come out of, the rest were rivets holding on ribs. Will fix them tomorrow morning before putting floor back in.

Have made up new floor sections to go under the seats, the seats and centre floor sections look crappy, but are sound, so they will do until the budget (or scrounging!) runs to some 19mm ply.

Painted the new floor sections and the old seats (to reduce \"splinterus bumus\" occurances) with some old acrylic enamel left over from a painting job about 5 years ago.

Picked up batteries today, report on that in electric thread!

Ta mate :blush:

Ray has done most if the Yakka to date.

Finished her off good enough to go to baroon, at 5:30pm today, just got to go down to Bunnings to get some 20mm hose for the bilge pump. If I cant get any, the purple pipe on the greywater is the right size, just have to sneak it out and back without the missus noticing it is missing in action!

Got some photo;s but need to get that pipe, so might post them later. Also need to gat camera on charge for tomorrow!

ok seat metal is in, and in process of installing rear batteries (each of those babies weighs 38 kilo's, and is a 6 volt 160 amp hour battery, connected in series to give 12 volts).

You will notice they are being held in place with a 100 x 12 piece of pine - with spacers screwed in to stop asideways movement. Easiest way I could think of to ensure batteries cant slide around, and to meet requirements of some dams where batteries must be restrained totally, even in event of capsize. (You will see how when seat is installed over top of batteries) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bb.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/29 20:32

post-134-144598404282_thumb.jpg

Comparison of new batteries against previous batteries (42 amp hour 12 volt units, 15 kg each - yes there is two black batteries back to back in the photo)

I have them there for a tempory install of second set of battieries for Baroon pocket shake down trip.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bc.jpg

post-134-144598404285_thumb.jpg

Final photo! rear seat in place, was getting tired and nearly drilled the back panel twice whilst restraining the secondary batteries for the Baroon trip. So got out my crayon and wrote on the rotten panel just so I dont forget (when boat is finished it will be put on neatly!) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bd.jpg

Archived