Help with a Flathead I caught

Thirstyman

I am hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice, sorry if I sound a bit stupid.

I caught a decent size Flathead last night (55cm) and its the first time I have ever taken a fish home to try and eat it. By the time I got home I didn't have time to try and fillet it so had to chuck it in the freezer whole. Is is still going to be edible if I defrost it and fillet it? Someone has since told me that freezing it without gutting it has probably made it inedible.

FYI, it was in my bucket without ice for about an hour at the most before it was chucked in the freezer at home.

Any advice would be appreciated, i will be dissapointed and will feel pretty shit if I have killed the fish for no reason!

Thanks!

I can't be 100% sure on the gut spoiling the meat because I have always cleaned before freezing. However I was told by a very successful snapper fisherman in Victoria that he nearly always just froze them whole. I asked him about the meat spoiling and he said it was not problem because the fishes gut is enough protection. (As long as you have not gaffed it in the stomach region).

Makes sense to me.

cheers

Wayne

It will be fine mate, just defrost it in some salty water and treat it as a fresh fish. If you haven't filleted a flattie before just cut the head off and gut and scale it then fry in butter with some garlic or whatever.

Has to be real butter, not Margarine or olive oil spread.

Archived