Manual Inflatable Life Jackets for kayaks - questions ....

kmcrosby78

G'day all,

Scored myself a bargain 4.5m Scupper Pro a couple of weeks ago and am busily getting all the extra bits and pieces I need so I can get it on the water. The plan will be to mainly use it in the river (around the Gateway plus hopefully over near Boggy Ck and the pipeline, but also occasionally probably down around Wello Point plus possibly over to Dunwich, etc.

Anyway, I have no idea yet of the legal requirements of wearing a lifejacket and when/where people generally wear one? I just noticed a brand new Mojiko Manual Inflatable Life Jacket on Gumtree for $30 which appears great value but wanted to check if they are suitable/any good.

/>http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/PFDs/Manual-Pfd-Level-150#90029012003

It is the adult size so I'm assuming it is the >70kg model (I will be checking with the seller). I am 110kg (planning on getting back to 100kg .......). From what I can tell to activate it you can either activate the little CO2 cylinder or otherwise inflate orally. I looked at a link to another model sold at Whitworths and a replacement CO2 cylinder costs $30 so presumably you'd only activate it if you absolutely had to .....

Any advice on the suitability of this particular life jacket or just on the need for a lifejacket (obviously each to their own but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts) in general would be much appreciated. I'll get organised and chuck some photos up of the new toy at some stage soon-ish.

Cheers.

ok, there is no requirement for you to wear a life jacket on a kayak. (Or any unregistered vessel).

You can pick up a manual inflateable jacket for as little as $60 on special these days. Check Whitworths, they have one going currently for $79

/>https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=18343

Dinga have them on sale for $69 (remember free postage of you sign up to the site)

/>http://www.dinga.com.au/inflatable-life-jacket-pfd-level-150-adult.html

inflateable lifejackets require servicing, which you can do yourself with most brands, some as little as 12 month intervals, some up to 3 years (the mojiko is 3 years, or they were when I bought mine). Check before buying, if it doesn't allow self service dont touch it.

You dont need to service for use on a yak, as there is no requirement to actually wear one, but I always do, and I do my own. I generally do look for one with a 3 year service interval, and replace it when the service is due. (I do service them at 12 month intervals).

I would never buy a second hand one, you have no idea of the history, and they are cheap as chips to buy new. I just replaced my mojiko with a hutchwilco as it was $60 on special and the mojiko was more than 3 years old.

Cheers Binder for the detailed reply. I have just edited my first post - should have mentioned that it is brand new still in the packaging.

When you say they need to be serviced, what exactly does that entail? Replace the CO2 cartridge I am assuming? Do you wear yours all the time or just in more open waters?

Thanks.

In skinny shallow water I usually don't wear one. But if it's deeper than my chest I wear a non inflatable jacket. I figure if I fall in I will trying save my gear and don't want to be looking for the pull cord or blowing it up manually.

Just what I do. :woohoo:

Servicing means checking it for damage, making sure it stays inflated for a 24 hour period (after blowing it up through the tube, not using the cartridge!). It does not involve replacing the cartridge. You just check the cartridge for signs of corrosion and weigh it to make sure it is still full. If the cylinder needs replacing, may as well just buy a new jacket, the "kits" to install a new cylinder are nearly half the price of a jacket.

I wear mine when ever I am on the kayak, you dont notice it after the first 5 minutes.

Be aware that the service period starts on date of sale, so if it is a proper retailer selling the jacket its fine, if it is a second hand sale (even though still new in the wrap), unless they provide you with their original receipt for purchase, will be based on the date stamped on the jacket, (in my experience the date stamped on the jacket can be 3 to 6 months earlier than the sale date). Either way I would service it before putting it in to use.

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, Nog said:

I got stung by SEQ water ranger for not inspecting my jacket.  Beware. Make sure you tick the little box on the inside of the jacket. In my ignorance I had no idea I had to do this.

Tell the SEQ Water ranger to get stuffed, he has no right to inspect safety equipment or anything else on your boat.

Archived