Bribie night trip - 5 October

Cliffy

Nothing doing last night, so decided to beach-bash up Bribie surf-side with the young fella and youngest daughters boyfriend Tom. Loaded up Tom's 4WD with ridiculous amounts of gear - 8 rods between thye 3 of us, no idea what the hell we were thinking except that you can never have too much gear along - and (after the mandatory Maca's stop on the Bruce Highway) hit the beach around nine o'clock with high expectations - no moon, low wind, and an outgoing tide. Unfortunately also sh*tloads of moron bogans in other 4WD's treating the beach like a skid pan :(. One of them actually stopped us halfway down the cutting to ask if we'd seen his spare wheel, which he reckoned had come off the back of his Patrol ute while he was Dukes of Hazarding onto the beach (after we'd stopped laughing we told him no and he took off back the way we'd just come - probably explained all the broken tree bits on the cutting, though).

Finally found a promising gutter and started to get set up. I was just about to cast the first rod when old mate without the spare wheel hooned up to let us know he'd found it 30 metres into the bush on the opposite side of the cutting from where he was driving at the time (along with three other carloads of his mates, all with headlights on high beam and spotties lit up). Stood around for about 10 minutes after they'd left to get some night vision back (getting really worried at this point that I'd hook Tom and lob him in with the terminal tackle), and finally got the 2 bigger rods in. Set up the remaining 6 rods, debated the relative merits of two rods each (y'know, one in each hand, who said fishing can't be like drinking? :evil:), finally decided that since there was no moon and it was pitch black (except for the strobe-like effect of old mate and his pals lights as they bounced over ruts a couple of hundred metres up the beach) that we'd call it one each to start.

Snags on a surf beach...no, not the rock kind, the type occasioned by 2 surfcasters with star pyramid sinkers holding like sand dredge anchors vs 3 light rods with no. 2 ball sinkers flying from left to right in the current. Hmmm. Finally called it quits on the light gear and concentrated on the big stuff, alas to no avail. The clock finally struck midnight, the young fella's asleep in the back of the 4WD, and Tom & I decided to call it a 3-0 win to the fish and pack up. Don't know if it was instinct or not, but I left the 13-footer out while we packed up; not 5 minutes later, the reel went off with a huge scream :woohoo:!! Cut my thumb on the bait knife in the mad rush to get down the beach, Tom dropped the torch and fell over, finally got to the rod which by now has a really decent bend in it, still paying out line:woohoo::woohoo:!!

Played the brute for at least 10 minutes, and as I got it close in I had Tom go have a look with the torch. He limps into the surf and suddenly shrieks \"FLATTIE!!\". You're joking - this would have to be the all-time record flathead, even if it was on 20lb line. Got pretty excited, light headed at the prospect...remembered to keep breathing, and continued the mano-a-fisho battle. Wrestled it onto the beach on the back of the wave and proceeded to chase Tom up the beach with the bait knife - :( another bloody stingray. Can't escape the bl**dy things, even in the surf. Viperon, if you read this, better add Bribie to your stingray spots!!

viperon1982 wrote:

Hahahaha!! I only just read your report Cliffy! Yes Bribie to my list it is!

You guys are making me look like the Stingray's Advocate!

And why is it that the ones who dislike stingrays so much always catch them while I don't?

Hey Viperon - let me know anytime you wanna get into the rays, 'cos it seems to be about all I catch at the moment...and bring the chilli paste, bro, it don't scare me none and it sure won't stop me catchin' them!

Archived