Throwing a 12 ft cast net

Luvit

As some of you may know I bought a cast net with the intention of trying my luck at catching some prawns this season.

After some practice here are some of the casts I'm getting with the triple load method 1/3 over shoulder, 1/3 in left hand and 1/3 in right hand then throw.

post-11868-144599032104_thumb.jpg

triple load method

post-11868-14459903211_thumb.jpg

triple load method

post-11868-144599032114_thumb.jpg

net fully spread after I adjust it to how far it would cover

post-11868-144599032119_thumb.jpg

2 handed net over shoulder method.

very easy to throw this way but I'm doing something wrong because one half not opening correctly.

still nutting that one out.

I'll post any tips as I learn them to help other newbies.

I find it far easier to throw an 8ft net one handed and open nearly every time.

cheers,

Wayne

Fairly happy with some cast but would like it fully open.

I've detected a problem with your technique just from looking at the pictures.

It is potentially an expensive error too.

Pic 3 highlights the problem the best.

If you let go of the rope the net is much harder to retrieve.

Other than that and the last pic, it seems only practice will improve things. You'll nut out that little imperfection as you go.

PS I haven't thrown a net for about 5 years and even then I wasn't too flash., so I'm impressed. :)

mate you'll probably be better off aiming for the water if you want to catch prawns. haven't seen too many prawns crawling round in my back yard... :P

I had an old islander guy teach me how to throw one of their massive nets ages ago. the method he showed me is hopeless for anything smaller than 10 ft as the net collapses on itself before hitting the water.

with the over should method, you really need to swivel the hips to get a nice round action going. this should assist with the net not opening fully. if there is a way to not have it over the shoulder you'll find this much better when prawning for an extended period, as will your washing machine...

Thanks Beeno,

I'm open to all methods to see which one most suits.

Being a puny guy under 70kg the triple load method spreads the weight and makes it easier to throw. Other methods with all the weight on one arm not so good over extended periods.

Ideally I would like to throw without having it not over the shoulder, not use my teeth and be able to load quickly with minimum effort.

Some people can do all this, but not me at the moment. :huh:

Is the first casting lesson free ?:):lol:

i've avoided the over the shoulder method because it sucks being wet and cold :D

I usually do the 2/3's bunched in one hand method. I think you may find your net will open better when it's a bit wet and also when throwing off a boat or pontoon since it has a bit more height above the water surface so has more time to open.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tiotony,

Here is your first free lesson :lol: only kidding.

I had my young son Luke video one of my practice casts, not a great video but you get the idea.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt8YJ9mCqHY&feature=em-upload_owner

Heading out tomorrow morning before work to throw in the salt. :)

Bloody hell, I can't even do that good of a spread with my 8 foot one.

How many casts can you get in before you get buggered.

Any tips lol? I've got a 12 foot one at home but it's shagged, although still good enough the practice with.

Thanks, but not every cast is the same ;)

I have spent hours searching and watching youtube videos and trying different styles. then spent hours practising.The style I use you do get wet, but I don't care if I catch prawns.

I'll try and do another video next week with the instructions and tips that I have learnt.

Archived