Dollies, Tuna & Many More Species

Manni79

Last week I was having a chat with Ted about going out to catch my first Dollie and with some time off work scheduled and a break in the weather looking pretty good we (Dom, Ted & I) set off for an offshore session on Tuesday.

We launched before sunrise and headed straight for the bait grounds to stock up on some livies and then make our way to the Dollie grounds.

We arrive at our mark and it didn’t take long for the fish to get on the bite, Ted & Dom open the account using plastics & livies, landing some nice Dollies including both Ted & Dom catching a rainbow runners.

post-8859-144599032265_thumb.jpg

It was a good start to the day although my first 2 casts resulted in one fish biting me off and my second cast losing a stick bait mid air due to tying a dodgy knot! (that’s what you get for being up a 2am) the poor stick bait is floating away and before we could get it back a fish had taken it from us.

More Dollies are coming thick and fast and I switch to plastics, but before I would land my first Dollie and king fish decided to get in the way and landed a new PB of around 50cm.

Getting back into the action I land my first Dollie, it was pretty awesome fun, especially when they run off just under the surface as you can see their fin cut the water as they move at ridiculous speeds!!!

With my cherry popped, I switched over to surface lures and this was a highlight of the day for me catching them on poppers. The strikes were fierce and the arial acrobatics made for an awesome spectacle and before we knew it we had our bag and left these crazy buggers biting!! (All fished range between 70-85cm)

post-8859-144599032276_thumb.jpg

post-8859-144599032285_thumb.jpg

Next stop was to do some bottom bashing in a round 50 plus metres of water, Ted & Dom were fishing with Livies & Pillies landing a couple small squire. I was just kicking back relaxing watching the guys fish when Dom wanted to show me his rod...... I must say it was pretty impressive!! So I have a cast down to the bottom with it and BOOM!!! fish on and a few minutes later I land my PB snapper at 68cm.

This thing had some serious balls, literally lol

post-8859-144599032295_thumb.jpg

After some more bottom bashing for little reward we trolled our hex heads as we go from spot to spot, as we near the seven we see bust ups everywhere yet trolling did not yield any speedsters. We head back and starting casting slugs & stick baits and before you know it we are catching a mixed bag of Striped, Mac & Yellow fin tuna, another new first for me catching a variety of Tuna on Stick baits and Dom also catching I believe his first tuna on a slug (I could be wrong)

They were pretty thick with multiple hookups and double hookups!! We didn’t take any pics of them except trying to get on stripey that I had on a stick bait but I nearly ended up with two sets of trebles in my chest and the Tuna going skitzo on the boat so I just gave up!!!

Again we left them biting and heading closer to Straddie, there was a huge pod of dolphins including some very cute & very young calfs feeding so we drop livies and slugs and it was long before the action started again, single, double & triple hook ups on big Mac Tuna, this kept us entertained and the dolphins had enough food around them not to bother stealing ours.

Dolphins swimming off the bow

post-8859-144599032304_thumb.jpg

post-8859-144599032313_thumb.jpg

By this point we’ve all caught at least 5 tuna each if not more and Dom was keen to hit the pearlie grounds so off we went further wide for these critters.

The first couple marks didn’t play well but Ted eventually found some good shows and some small squire were coming up including one that got stolen form a probable AJ however it wrestled Dom back to the reef in no time.

Finally the guys struck gold with Ted landing one pearlie, then two pearlies on one rig and then Dom landing one as well.

Once again it was a very mixed bag, a full esky and a couple more PB’s to add to the list. The company was awesome as usual and some great laughs were had. Thanks for taking me out Ted to catch my first Dollie, it was great fun - that metre plus won’t escape you for too long!!

man very jealous. Would love to get dollies on surface. That would be an insane addiction.

It was awesome fun, the fish a lit up so bright so can see them chasing the popper from all angles. The tuna on stuck baits was cool too seeing multiple fish break the surface competing for the lure, it's definitely an awesome way to get the adrenalin pumping

Archived