New to catching squid

Mr alvey

My cousin has convinced me to try and catch squid with him in the tinnie in and around raby bay however he neglected to mention that he himself has never caught them and neither have I . I once went after squid with a mate years ago with no success but back then we put a pilchard on a spike with barbs at the bottom however it would appear that these days squid lures are the way to go but

to be honest I wouldn't know how to use squid lures or even where to go to catch them has anyone gone after them in and around raby bay / moreton Bay Area and knows where to go and is a lure or the spike jig thing better to use

Havent tried the spike jig you have tried but have had a lot of success catching squid on the lure type squid jigs. Usually i need to spot the squid first before casting to them to catch them but others catch them blind casting squid jigs in areas they know that hold them. I have seen them in raby bay but find more of them in amongst mangroves at high tide when the water is clean and clear anywhere between redland bay and victoria point. Look for areas that have rocky, weedy, sandy patches and wade through the water at the top of the

tide close to shore and when you spot one just drop the jig in front of it..

All these spots are landbased and the squid get in very close to shore. The most productive times are when the water is very clean and clear so try to have the wind behind you if it is blowy eg thompsons beach if its a northerly,redland bay if its a south westerly or westerly and victoria point if its a southerly. Have caught them from redland bay jetty and the rock wall at redland bay marina too. Concentrate at the hours around high tide though for the best success. If you have a boat use the same tactics around goat island and the eastern side of peel island.

Usually i need to spot the squid first before casting to them to catch them but others catch them blind casting squid jigs in areas they know that hold them. I.

Spotting them tigers in the mangrove trees is the hardest. :lol:

Seriously though I like the photo, something quite different.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased some jigs from BCF and some from ebay some time ago, as yet have not used any.

The prawn jigs via ebay suppose to have some type of flashing light (works under water), I cant see any batteries in those jigs , don't know if its a gimmick or whether real deal. Time will tell when I send it below.

Do they need a chemical stick above the jig to attrack squid at night?

Chewbacoo

Thanks for that info, I'll make an effort to come down on Wednesday night and give it a go. Hopefully it wont be too blowy.

What time would you suggest?

Cheers,

Chewbacoo

I find the two hours before the high but have caught at varying times and tides. Would also suggest giving a crack at some bream with a bit of mullet strip and leaving it out while you chase squid.

With the rain this arvo I will be looking at going Wednesday night now if weather ok.

Will be looking at next weekend now. Maybe the Friday looks like an ok day. With the weather beginning to get cooler it might be worthwhile to have a crack at some of the bigger bream that will be on the move.

Unless of course someone else wants to shout me a 400g MSA rump :whistle:

No worries, I'll be down there next Friday, About 2 hours before the high tide maybe, definitely at night. :)

I purchased a few squid jigs couple of years ago that suppose to have an led that lights up under water, must work on pressure switch?

Can't find any of em, damn. :ohmy: Any particular weight 2.5g, 3.0g? :cheer:

Steak sounds better but that will be on the back burner for me this time round.

Chewy

No worries,

I'll be down there probably about 5.45pm. this Friday.

I don't know what the problem with this forum, but each time I visit this forum, I am required to sign in each and every time. even though I placed a tick in the box to "remember me"

And still no pm can be sent. Anyone have this problem?

Chewbacoo

No worries,

I'll be down there probably about 5.45pm. this Friday.

I don't know what the problem with this forum, but each time I visit this forum, I am required to sign in each and every time. even though I placed a tick in the box to "remember me"

And still no pm can be sent. Anyone have this problem?

Chewbacoo

Yes, I have the same problem.

How bizarre,

I was hopeful the owner of this site or at least one of the moderators that monitor this site could shed some light as to why this is so and whether this can be corrected. Must be a problem with their server.

Just my view.

See you this evening,

You would have missed me. Was going to go with a mate and we were out for a bit, get back to his place and broken in to grr.

Avitir,

Did you say your mates house got broken into?

There are some bastards around, hope the coppers get the mongrel/s.

Good to meet you last night, bit of boat traffic and wind put a damper on the squid hey!

I'll try again late at night mid week.

Or could try that large pier in Shorncliffe.

• 2 weeks later...

Avitir,

I'll be down probably Tuesday week. Probably when there is less boating traffic late at night. on incoming high tide

Might take another rod with , no lead , ganged 3x1/0 hooks, salted bonito strips for bait. Might get lucky with a tailor or two.

Cheers

Avitir. sent you a pm.

Might be going tonight depends if high tide is late tonight. Just about to check.

Make It Wednesday night ( High tide Brisbane Bar 9.33pm 2.49m)

Hopefully wind will be down, still going to go regardless and give it a try

Chewbacoo

Archived