Flatty Flick'n'. New PB

samsteele115

I have been doing a lot of catch and release fishing of late, so i decided its time for a good feed of fish.

I headed out to the Pine with Richard who is very new to lure fishing to try and get him onto a decent fish. I thought flathead would be a perfect species to target for a newbie as they are pretty easy to catch. Flathead is also my favourite eating fish so it was a no brainer!

It wasn't too long before Richard hooked up to a fish, a solid flatty about 50cm. He was stoked! He kindly donated it to my esky :lol:

post-11925-144599047881_thumb.jpg

He was next on again with a 39 and I was relieved to follow him with a similar sized fish which fell just short of the legal mark.

We worked our way over to some promising looking flats at the start of the run-in; a perfect ambush location for a big lizard.

I landed another smaller flathead before I got a solid hit on my soft plastic on a 1/8th jighead and my Nordic Stage Jaeger buckled over. I slowly and carefully steered the fish towards the boat in the 40cm water depth making sure I didn't pop the 6lb leader. After a very crappy net job by Richard I had my new PB flathead which was somewhere between 65-67cm :whistle: (I was itching to get her back so it was a very brief measurement). It's always great fun catching lizards in very shallow water.

After a few happy snaps and me dropping my lip-grips in the water I put her back and she swam off strongly. It was not a very long fish but was fat and heavy for its size, so I'm thinking maybe it was full of eggs if it was a female.

Richard got called into work shortly after so we called it a day after only 3 hours of fishing. A total of 5 flathead landed but only 1 kept for a feed. Oh well, it tasted bloody great! :woohoo:

post-11925-144599047883_thumb.jpg

post-11925-144599047889_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Sam.

Yep in the south pine. I actually spend more time near the mouth of the north pine because I can usually pull in a few 40-50cm flathead which makes a great feed. Having spent more time there I have had greater success at the mouth opposed to the upper reaches, but I know for sure that more big girls hang out up further. If I fish the upper reaches more and sus it out a bit I'm sure I could get do better than I do at the mouth, I reckon the fishing pressure isn't as great.

Archived