Winter - y do they go off the bite?

Wbgredcliffe

Hi Wayne

I look forward to the replies because I'm interested and wondered why myself.

I got a bull shark 4 weeks ago in the pine river so there may still be a few around. Maybe their still around through the cooler months just not in the same numbers.

When I started mud crabbing in winter there didn't seem to be hardly anyone else bothering. I still caught mud crabs but not the return for the effort. Could be the same with the sharks, less people fishing for them, less reports.

They just slow down a bit. Not as aggressive or active............ the fishermen I mean haha ;-) joke.

They have to still be there as the little bullies don't leave the rivers until they get bigger. They have to still be feeding, not like they just go into hybernatino all Winter.

• 3 weeks later...

what I have found over the years chasing sharks is... the sharks are their all year around. as the water temp drops in the river, ocean ect, the sharks slow down big time. the reason I don't fish for sharks in winter is you have to put in a lot more hours than in summer, and their are other species in winter I would rather target jew, snapper, tailor ect. bull sharks mate during summer and just into early autumn with most mating in the summer months and give birth approx 9-10 months later with September, October and November being the main months that the females give birth. They are viviparous.. they are born live and free-swimming. The young are approx 70 cm when born and stay in the river for a few years.

sharks also have feeding patterns at certain times of the year, such as tailor season and mullet and will take advantage of this.

"madmullet" . bull sharks mate during summer and just into early autumn with most mating in the summer months and give birth approx 9-10 months later with September, October and November being the main months that the females give birth. They are viviparous.. they are born live and free-swimming. The young are approx 70 cm when born and stay in the river for a few years.

sharks also have feeding patterns at certain times of the year, such as tailor season and mullet and will take advantage of this."

Great information. Very much appreciated.

Do the young start feeding right after birth? At 70cm are they likely to feed on live baits?

Thanks in advance

Wayne.

Archived