Beach mooring solutions

Luvit

I haven't done any beach mooring except just pulling up to an island and hoping off. This present problems with the boat being washed back onto the beach with wind and tide.

There has got to be a safe way to anchor off the island so the biat is still in water at low tide . With some sirt of a pullie system that would allow you to send you boat out once you disembarked and pull it back once you wish to retrieve it.

Someone described a system to me and I sort of got the idea but not fully.

Does any one have a successful system that works with maybe a drawing that explains it?

This was posted many years ago by a former member.

Anchoring boats so they are always in the water can be a bit tricky with big tides.

I use a 75mtr anchor rope which is fashioned in such a way that I can drag the boat in and out using it while the anchor remains 20 metres or so away from the bank.

In brief anchor out deep with a pulley on end of anchor chain.

Line then basically runs in a big loop with a few turns around your front bollard and attached to rear handle

Pull rope in clockwise direction to pull boat out towards anchor, pull rope in an anti clockwise direction to pull boat back

Simply put…..I use a massive circle of rope I have made up. Basically anchor way out using the rope which is attached to the bollard at front of the boat. The rope goes from the bollard, down though a shackle in the anchor, and back up to a snap lock hanging near the bollard, then along the side of the boat to another snap lock near the stern, then to shore and around what ever you have there that is solid and the back to the stern cleat.

You following so far?

Anchor up, then stern into shore, unload, pull on the bow rope to drag boat back out towards the anchor and tie it off. To retrieve your boat, pay out the bow end of the rope while pulling on the stern end.... easy as!....

Good size anchor of some description with a length of rope attached to it and a float on other end. Make sure enough length for tidal fluctuation. Attach a snap clip to the top of the rope above the float.

Second bit is just a long length of rope. Tie one end to the front of your boat and the other end to the rear so you have a huge loop with your boat in the loop.

Hook the rope through the snap clip and then gently pull on the rope to drag front of boat out to anchor. Tie off both ends just taut and boat should stay perpendicular to the shore.

Reverse it all to retrieve….

Lance has these anchor retrieval systems made up for sale, I have had 1 for 10 years and swear by them you can get confused going off some ones written description and I always suggest if any one is really keen to come and look at 1 in person.

post-4390-14459907945_thumb.jpg

You will need minimum an anchor a good length of chain 6m of rope back to a stainless steel pullie then 60m of rope doubled back to a stainless steel ring then another 10m of rope to tie off on the shore, in the middle of the doubled rope you will splice in a short rope and attach a float and clip for the front of the boat I always clip on to the eye bolt where you attach the trailer cable to the boat.

I would suggest getting 100m or rope as by the time you make the system up there wont be much left over and make sure the pullie is all stainless steel no plastic sides as they collapse under pressure. Send me a message if you want to have a look at a set up we have been using them on our socials on the islands for years now they are priceless in winter ;)

Thanks Mark,

I received a Pm from Keen as last night and he has offered me a complete set up that is an unwanted prize, so I should me right now.

Sorry Lance I wasn't aware by your post that you sold them as a kit. I thought they were the bits and prices I would need to gather. That is why I bought 'Keen As' kit.

Thanks for the replies it was very helpful.

Archived