4.1m Poly challenger or 4.2m renegade

ozlad

I'm currently in the market for a new boat and have narrowed it down to the 4.1m poly and 4.2m renegade - both fitted with a 50hp suzuki. I just can't decide on the two and was looking for advice/expereince from fellow members who have been in the two or owned either. I'll be fishing mainly estuary and bay on good days, and the boat will be decked our with minn kota etc.

Thanks,

Ozlad

They are fairly different boats... Have not been in a renegade 420 yet but I will probably buy one in the next couple of months. That or the stacer outaw or a second hand bluefin wildcat if one pops up so those brands might be worth a look at as well.

Yes the 450 polycraft (centre console) is a very wet ride. There is no where near as much room as the renegade 420 tiller or SC once you get inside even though its a bigger boat (smaller casting decks and floor room etc) There were quite a few things that annoyed me about the polycraft when I drove a mates for 4 days straight over christmas. If you would like me to list those let me know.

About the only positive I could find over a tinny like the renegade is that it is a pretty quiet ride in regards to hull slap compared to an aluminium hull.

I own a 4.55 and once I put on spray chines the difference was incredible. You do need to modify the polys a bit.

Pluses, can go anywhere anytime, quiet, comfortable ride,easy to maintain, heavy so ride well

Negatives, heavy so need power, industrial look, flexing hull effects performance.

Thanks heaps for the replies guys. Yep, will def get the 50hp, but will investigate the 60hp upgrade.

Samsteele - I just sold my bluefin tomcat, as it was the wettest boat I have ever been in & want to downsize, so the boat can fit in the garage. I'm not sure what the wildcat is like, but I won't buy another bluefin. I do like the ride & layout, but having wear your snorkel & wet weather gear is a real downer after a day's fishing. Something to consider - my tomcat was a 2010 model, so things may have changed since.

Thanks heaps for the replies guys. Yep, will def get the 50hp, but will investigate the 60hp upgrade.

Samsteele - I just sold my bluefin tomcat, as it was the wettest boat I have ever been in & want to downsize, so the boat can fit in the garage. I'm not sure what the wildcat is like, but I won't buy another bluefin. I do like the ride & layout, but having wear your snorkel & wet weather gear is a real downer after a day's fishing. Something to consider - my tomcat was a 2010 model, so things may have changed since.

Thanks, thats good to know even though they are different models. Still narrowing things down myself. Most people love their renegades so that might be the way to go for me as well

Just to chuck another one in the mix, have a look at the Smartwave 4200, their design is slightly better then the polly and a lot lighter, they are also a little dryer.

You will be able to pick one up cheaper then both the options you have mentioned I think.

Archived