Increasing size of kayak hatch

Damage44

Hey there,

I have been fishing from a kayak for quite some time and most recently I have been rattling my brain to come up with cost effective modifications I can do to create a better fishing experience.

I am pondering the idea of cutting out my current kayak hatch (which drops straight into the hull) and creating a bigger hole, possibly putting a small plastic storage container in and using Sikaflex to lock it into place.

This is the type of container I would use, this is not the exact container as it seems too deep but something like it.

Or possibly a small eski?

/>http://plastictotes.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/plastic-storage-containers-with-lids.jpg

Has anyone seen or heard of this being done? I am curious to know if there is anything I should be doing in particular. Any advice or insight would be great

Kind regards,

Damage

post-15093-144599106096_thumb.jpg

post-15093-144599106108_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

You can get all different sorts of hatches from boat chandlers ie:whitworths. they come with templates to cut out the correct holes and what not. On a side note, don't get to adventurous with a hole saw as you may weaken the hull and end up with a banana 

G'day Damage mate have you looked on kfdu. com.au they have a great deal of modifications in the do it yourself section. also the yak shed. com.au . Have a good look through there first and there is always plenty of people to answer your questions.

Cheers Pete.

Archived