2016 NRL Season to be…

Gad

In 2016, at times there will only be one Friday night game in 18 rounds, with a Thursday night game added.

18 Thursday night games scheduled for the season.

Good Friday matches, Bunnies vs Bulldogs  and Brisbane vs  Cowboys.

Anzac Day triple header round 8: Knights vs Sea Eagles, Dragons vs Roosters and Storm vs Warriors.

Perth will have two games:  Rabbitohs vs Titans round 13 and Manly vs Warriors  round 19.

Tigers will play four games at Leichhardt,  Bulldogs will play twice at Belmore and in round 10  Suncorp Stadium double header:  Storm vs Cowboys and Sea Eagles v Broncos.

Of the 20 rounds publicly released for 2016 there has been no reduction in the amount of five-day turnarounds, (31) clubs are forced to endure between fixtures.

The NRL are looking at:

the new video refereeing bunker system, as well as the proposed implementation of shot clocks for scrums and goal line drop-outs.

October's NRL grand final extra-time finish, between North Queensland and Brisbane, could be the last played out in the golden-point format.

NRL are targeting a 25 per cent reduction in five-day turnarounds in the 2017 season, which means SFA for 2016

What the new NRL broadcasting deal means for fans:

* In 2017, Monday night football will be scrapped, with a game to begin at 6pm on Friday evenings (2 Friday night games back in the draw).

* All matches will be shown live. Nine will have Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday afternoon football, with all games to be simulcast on Fox Sports.

* From 2017, Fox Sports will have a dedicated rugby league channel, similar to its current AFL station, Fox Footy.

* The last five Saturday night games of each season will be telecast on free to air television in the build up to the Finals series.

* The deal, worth $1.8 billion over five years, runs until the end of 2022. Changes are being implemented before the commencement of the deal in 2018. The monetary figure is a 70 per cent increase on the previous deal.

* Telstra will remain the naming rights partner of the NRL and will telecast the game digitally on its mobile network as well as replays and highlights on its new Telstra TV platform in 2016.

* International, New Zealand and radio rights are still yet to be sold.

At the end of the 2014 season, Dessie Hasler flew over to Beirut to watch a young Lebonese lad play rugby league and was sufficiently impressed to arrange for him to come over to Australia and join in the Bulldogs preseason and trial matches. He was signed to a one-year contract and the kid joined the team for the full pre-season.

70 minutes into the first trial match, the Doggies are down by 16 points against the Roosters and only 10  minutes left on the clock. Dessie decides that with the game already  lost, it is a good time to give the kid a run; and what a decision it  proves to be.

The kid is an instant sensation - he gets to touch the ball 6 times in the 10 minutes and scores 3 tries and converts his own goals to win the game for the Doggies.

The fans are thrilled, his team  mates love him, the coaching staff are delighted, and the TV and radio commentators fall in love with this new superstar.

When he finally gets away from the  adoring masses and makes it to the change rooms, he phones his mum to tell her about his first day of NRL footy.

"Hello mum, guess  what?" he says. “I played for 10 minutes today, we were 16 points down, but I scored 3 tries and booted 3 goals  . . . I won the  game for us! Everybody loves me; the fans, my team mates…”

Interrupting  him, his mum says " how wonderful, now let me tell you about my day. "

“ Your father got shot in the street and is in a serious condition, I was ambushed  and beaten and robbed, your sister was bashed on her way home from the Sunday  markets, and your brother has joined a drug  gang; and all the while you were having such a great time playing a  game."

The young Lebonese kid is very upset and  says "What can I say Mum? I'm so very, very  sorry."

"Sorry’, 
‘you're sorry!. “ she screams into the phone . .. . . "It's your bloody fault we moved to Sydneys` outer western suburbs in the first  place!"

That joke is an absolute cracker Gad!!!!  Oh, and so was yours Brian ......... you were joking, weren't you?

I'll be putting the Suncorp Stadium double header straight in to the calendar - two great matches!!!!

Just gave my wife a rundown of the broadened free to air matches being shown - she is, of course, extremely ecstatic ....................... :)  Bring on 2016 - going to be a great year!!!!

I did read a couple of  articles (before he announced he was off to Manly) saying he would not be with the Tigers after 2016.

I`ve wondered whether that was because of the salary cap poo house the Tigers are in (a few other clubs are also sharing the house) and they could not offer a realistic contract  to keep him, or  was it a man-management related decision made by him or  by someone who once had a Mad Monday (and also other days), poor  man-management skill issues.

Those averaged 37 minutes for Taupau I found surprising, obviously he is/was not the one who decided his minutes on the field.

I`m sure Manly, with the reduced interchange, will utilise his services very well. ( not that I`m into positives for Manly) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

An early Xmas present for e`cat,

the Tigers have got rid of the Poh and are now all happy bouncing Tiggers once more :)

Taken from the ROAR 16 Dec 2015

Robbie Farah will play his football in 2016 at… the Wests Tigers.

After months of bickering, politicking, manoeuvring and rumours, the Tigers stalwart and club legend will see out the season with his beloved club.

What’s more, he is again part of the leadership group of the Tigers, which also consists of Matt Ballin, Dene Halatau, Chris Lawrence, Sauaso Sue, James Tedesco and Aaron Woods.

The captain has not yet been named.

Whether Farah is a contender to have the little ‘C’ in 2016 isn’t known.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe congratulated Farah and the other six in a statement.

“On behalf of everyone at Wests Tigers I would like to congratulate the seven players on their appointment to our leadership group,” said Pascoe.

“It’s great to have a mix of youth and experience in our leadership group and I look forward to working closely with this group over the coming year.

“I’d also like to take this opportunity to address the considerable speculation and discussion about Robbie Farah’s future with Wests Tigers,” he said.

“I am pleased to confirm that Robbie Farah and Head Coach Jason Taylor have committed to working together to drive greater success for Wests Tigers in 2016.

“On behalf of the Club I want to apologise to our loyal Wests Tigers Members and supporters for allowing this to be played out publicly.

“I am proud of the way that Jason, Robbie and the whole playing group have now embraced a new leadership approach that our new appointee Shane McCurry has introduced,” said Pascoe.

Taylor did mention his relationship with Farah in the statement, saying that the two have worked through their issues.

“All seven players exhibit great qualities that are an asset to Wests Tigers,” said Taylor.

“I look forward to seeing them develop as a leadership group over the coming year as we look to build a successful Wests Tigers for the future.

“In regards to my relationship with Robbie we both have a commitment to this Club and helping Wests Tigers be a power in the NRL,” he said. “Both Robbie and I have had some really positive private conversations and we’re both committed to the success of the Club in 2016 and beyond and we are also clear as to what we need to do to drive that success.”

“I also want to acknowledge that the public nature of the contractual discussions have exposed Robbie to unwanted publicity,” Pascoe said.

Farah said that he was looking forward to putting the speculation about his club future behind him.

“I am now simply just wanting to continue doing what I have always done, training as hard as I can so that I can perform to the best of my ability for the fans, Members, teammates and Club,” said Farah.

“This Club, the playing group and fans mean everything to me and I want to be around for what I think is going to be an exciting time for Wests Tigers.

“I’m also keen to work closely with Matt, Dene, Chris, Sauaso, James and Aaron as a part of the leadership group over the coming year.

“We all bring unique experiences to the group and will be able to have a positive impact on our teammates and the Club as a whole,” he said.

taken from the ROAR email newswletter

Walters man most likely after Green turns down Maroons job

By Vince Rugari, 18 Dec 2015

An awkward conversation with Kevin Walters looms for the Queensland Rugby League after Cowboys coach Paul Green turned down the vacant State of Origin coaching position.

Walters is now the raging hot favourite to become the new Maroons coach, but will need to swallow his pride as the QRL’s second preference when they inevitably call with the offer, having been left “shattered” when first overlooked.

Green will now concentrate solely on North Queensland’s NRL premiership defence after heeding the advice of the outgoing Mal Meninga and coaching great Wayne Bennett, who both warned against trying to juggle club and representative commitments.

Having wrestled with the decision for two weeks, Green said the timing just wasn’t quite right.

“I am extremely flattered by the QRL’s interest in me coaching the Maroons. I’m humbled by the overtures and coaching the Maroons is something I am hugely passionate about,” said Green.

“I’ve decided to concentrate on coaching the Cowboys in season 2016, putting all my energies into having another successful season.

“From a personal point of view, the decision that I’ve made will be the best thing for all parties next year.

“As a past State of Origin player, I remain as passionate as ever about the Maroons and remain hopeful of again getting such a treasured opportunity.”

It leaves Walters, a 242-game veteran with the Broncos and a 20-time Queensland representative, as the only legitimate candidate left to succeed Meninga.

Indeed, most rugby league identities were shocked when Walters, who was being groomed for the job for the past two years, wasn’t asked first.

It would also leave Brisbane head coach Wayne Bennett needing a new assistant.

Bennett told an audience at the NRL All Stars launch on Wednesday he had already informed Walters that, if the Maroons came knocking, he would have to stand down from Broncos duties for a season so he wouldn’t be “distracted”.

Bennett is nothing if not true to his word, so it’s likely the search has already begun.

But there will be no such haste from the QRL – managing director Robert Moore says despite “enormous public interest” in the appointment of the new coach, an answer is unlikely until January.

“We respect and support Paul’s decision to concentrate on the Cowboys as the club prepares for its premiership defence,” Moore said.

edit .. not sure what happened before when posting, but have now reposted

Well fancy that. After many years building a continuously evolving and successful, long  term structure, that wasset up to feed from within it`s self, with succession pathways built in for both players and staff. A long comes the first major change over, (since John MacDonald was chairman of the QRL board) and those that are there now, they f-ed it.

At the very first head coach change over, a key inbuilt plan was thrown ou the door. Makes one wonder why a structure producing 9/10 series, now needed a change off course, without allowing the roll on to be tested.

One can only speculate whether the dedicated Maroon`s hands on staff along with all the players at each level, will be asking themselves what the last 10 years of building from the bottom up, was all about, if todays ‘powers that be’ were so quick trying to stamp their brand on the system.

ell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the NRL Auckland nines are played this week-end coming. NRL pre-season trials matches will be played between Feb 6 – Feb 20

A complete list of all 16 NRL club's pre-season fixtures ahead of the 2016 NRL  Telstra Premiership.

http://www.nrl.com/2016-nrl-pre-season-fixtures/tabid/10874/newsid/90854/default.aspx

INDIGENOUS ALL STARS vs World ALL STARS

SAT 13 Feb SUNCORP Stadium KICK OFF 6.50PM

I thought e`cat could do with a little lift coming into the Tiggers 2016 season 

“….this season has the very real potential to be one of the closest we’ve seen in years……”  :) such a fearless quote

…one that’s been used every year since 1908. :lol:

Taken from NRL site 11-2-16

NRL suspends Martin Kennedy

The NRL announced on Thursday that Martin Kennedy has been suspended for 2 years and 9 months under the League’s Anti-Doping Policy.

The Anti-Doping Tribunal, chaired by former High Court Judge, The Hon Ian Callinan AC QC, found that Mr Kennedy had committed the following violations of the Anti-Doping Policy:

• Attempted use of SARMS S22

• Attempted use of Growth Hormone

• Attempted Use of Chorionic Gonadotrophin

• Attempted Use of Insulin

The Tribunal also found that Mr Kennedy had engaged in conduct which amounted to Aggravating Circumstances under the Anti-Doping Policy, and accordingly increased the minimum sanction of 2 years by an additional 9 months.

The Tribunal imposed a period of suspension of 2 years and 9 months, to run from the date of Mr Kennedy’s provisional suspension which commenced on 19 March 2015.

Mr Kennedy’s suspension will expire on 19 December 2017.

NRL Head of Integrity Nick Weeks welcomed the Anti-Doping Tribunal’s findings and reaffirmed the NRL's commitment to drug-free sport.

“The NRL remains committed to eliminating performance enhancing drugs in our game," Mr Weeks said.

"Drug free sport is essential in ensuring a fair competition and a safe working environment for our players, and we will continue to take the necessary steps to achieve this.

"Today’s decision of the Anti-Doping Tribunal demonstrates and furthers that effort.”

Mr Kennedy has 21 days to appeal the ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

• 3 weeks later...

For a 2nd consecutive year Australian teams have delivered a 3-0 whitewash of the English teams in the World Club Challenge Series.

St Helens 12  vs  38 Sydney Roosters

Wigan Warriors 12  vs 42 Brisbane Broncos.

Leeds Rhinos 4  vs  38 Queensland Cowboys

Series 3 – 0 up…… ***** slapping contest 0 - 1 down  :whistle:

With 9 minutes left on the clock, both teams were reduced to 12 players when Leeds prop Mitch Garbutt was sent off for punching James Tamou (possible broken nose, reasonable amount of dripping claret). Tamou, who sparked the incident by giving Keith Galloway a ‘not tonight sailor’ ***** slap to the face, was sent to the sin-bin.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/world-club-series-mitch-garbutt-sent-off-for-punching-james-tamou/news-story/012d614358e0c96da6cf51ab37591833?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=crm&utm_source=weekly_sportsmail

I am not sure I agree Gad. Society has changed. You can hardly support the biff in sport and then come down on "one bunch attacks". However do not get me started on the rest of the game. Shoulder charges are part of the game. You can put it in when running the ball, if so, it is fair game in defence. Laying around on players to slow the game, get up and play the bloody ball, Taking 30 seconds to pack a scrum which does not even matter. 15 seconds and contested I say and do not get me started on the interchange. When you went off you where injured years ago. Little guys had a role in the game then towards the back end of the halves.  there you go I said it. CW

Geez Ted is getting grumpy in his old age ........ Agree on the punching - I just wish they'd shut down the pest behaviours of Ennis, etc as it's too easy to be an annoying pest when you know you won't get punched. Did they reduce the interchange this year? If so hopefully that will help the little blokes shine more. Can't wait til the season kicks off.

Every year I forget how much I love rugby league until the first game of the year comes along to remind me. Things that I reckon could improve are:

holding down in the tackles could be stopped if the ball carrier was forced to place the ball on the ground, then pick it up and play it with the foot.  This would slow it down enough to give the defenders a chance to get on-side.  I know there was a crack down on this a few years ago but it has gone to shite again.

stop players using their head like a vice in the tackle.  That is just ugly rubbish that should be out of the game.

keep the defending team on-side on their own goal line. So often they are getting a jump start when defending the try line.

go back to one ref, get rid of the video ref and just accept that bad decisions are part of the game and give us something to whinge about on Monday (or Tuesday these days).

end of rant.

make the refs more accountable for their actions. and for gods sake put a time limit on how long the video ref can look at footage. if he cannot make his mind up in that time, go with umpires call.

and let them have a fight or two. telling someone they cant fight in footy will only bottle their anger up until it explodes uncontrollably with a king hit. the worst thing for the game is too many rules, let it play freely and if two blokes wanna have a go then let them, they will get in enough trouble from their coach and club later without sending them to a judiciary and stopping the game for 5 minutes while a 5ft ref tells a footy player how to act on the field.

Rugby League Refs - little man syndrome at its best! 

the problem is Chris, this is not allowed outside the game. If two people have a a fight they are charged. I grew up when we where able to sort things out however the society has moved on for better or worse. I have reffed games where kids as young as 8 have punched a player acting out their dad's  influence or what the see on telly. It is difficult to blame them but you need to send them off.  

True Ted...

my worry is how far the restrictions will have gone in another decade. the game I love is being scaled back further and further.

two guys lining each other up in a shopping centre and shoulder charging one another isn't allowed outside of the game either, doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in the sport.

not only that, if the business that is rugby league is so worried about how it looks to the public and kids, then why allow the players to pursue boxing careers as well? cant  tell me these rules are for the welfare of the players or to promote a good image to younger kids then show them boxing on the off season. id be more concerned with the alcohol issues in the game rubbing off on kids rather then some heat of the moment blue on the field.

I used to be a big fan of the biff (as long as I wasn't on the wrong end of it) but these days I get more enjoyment out of a good hard but skilful game where the focus is on the football. Ted is right about the kids copying what they see on TV.  I spent heaps of time on the sidelines and being an official at junior league games and you can pick who the kids are idolising by what they wear and how they play.  Then there is the protective parent syndrome that sees kids sent to play soccer because mum or dad think league is a thugs' game. If they just see the skill and excitement without the ugly bits league will have a healthier nursery.

Chris, I take your point about boxing, but I think there is a difference between a proper boxing bout with all the safety and protection, and a couple of guys going at it with bare fists and no rules of engagement. If someone dies on the field from a king hit the game will suffer enormously.

Funny how we all get involved in these exchanges of ideas in the lead up to game one then once it starts it is all about the footy. Until State of Origin that is.;)

All valid points. I guess Rugby League is just in a tough place trying to attract new blood in the sport and are willing to try drastic measures to maintain its longevity. You said it perfectly about the soccer parents not wanting their kids involved in a "thugs" game, which is a growing trend in the sport now, and I think that scares the rugby league execs.

and yes, I also love how involved people get in banter etc about Origin, that truly is the greatest sporting event on the calendar in my eyes!

7 hours ago, christophagus said:

and yes, I also love how involved people get in banter etc about Origin, that truly is the greatest sporting event on the calendar in my eyes!

Well, it used to be, when the other team could play a little ........ :devil: I remember it like it was eleven years ago ........ :P

Ted, thanks for your thoughts. I was not implying they should bring back the biff. The ***** slap has crept into the game since Gallen`s low shot on Myles in SOO a couple of series ago, and the NRL brought in throw a punch-get sent off. A Qlder gave Robbie Farah the ‘not to night sailor’ when he played the ball in last years series.

My thoughts are it`s an embarrassment for the game, and it is starting to be just another grubby tactic used by some players and I can not see why it is not penalised on field or by the review committee as attacking the head of a player, after all there is a rule in place regarding contact to a players head, just because it doesn`t happen in a tackle is beside the point.

Just like the video refs can not rule on a forward pass leading to a try, I don`t think the powers to be will be that quick off the mark for this one.

Well, todays` the day!... we`ve waited a long time for today.... 8 weeks, $125,000... lucky fella, if he had involved studded collars and leather leashes some would have wanted the death penalty reinstated.....:D

anyway, Eels vs Broncos kick off is real soon...:)

• 1 month later...

Test squad named for May 6 Aus v Kiwi`s 

Kangaroos squad:

1 Darius Boyd, 2 Semi Radradra, 3 Greg Inglis, 4 Josh Dugan, 5 Blake Ferguson, 6 Jonathan Thurston, 7 Cooper Cronk, 8 Matt Scott, 9 Cameron Smith, 10 Paul Gallen, 11 Josh Papalii, 12 Matt Gillette, 13 Corey Parker.

Interchange: 14 Josh McGuire, 15 Michael Morgan, 16 James Tamou, 17 Sam Thaiday. 18 Aidan Guerra 19 Michael Jennings.

For me,

Why Dugan, chosen out of position, never looks comfortable in the centres, and was not effective for the Dragons when moved to the centres from fullback this season before being moved back to fullback.

Why Ferguson, equal and better wingers in the comp than him.

Why Radradra, they`re trying to build the international game up and Radradra was an 2011 Fijian international rugby union rep winger and the Fijian rugby league test side is playing over here on the same weekend as the Aus v Kiwi test.

WTF, is this to give him some cred and make a precedent to allow him to play Origin, you know the game, true Qlders  v real NSWailers  :D

Good to see Gallen picked again, he may blow a muscle/tendon/sinew and be out for the whole Origin series. :whistle:

Kiwi`s squad

1 Jordan Kahu 2 Jason Nightingale 3 Shaun Kenny-Dowall 4 Gerard Beale
5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 6 Tohu Harris 7 Shaun Johnson 8 Jesse Bromwich (c)
9 Lewis Brown 10 Adam Blair 11 Kevin Proctor 12 Manu Ma'u 13 Jason Taumalolo

Interchange
14 Kodi Nikorima 15 Greg Eastwood 16 Martin Taupau 17 Sam Moa 18 Brad Takairangi 20 Kenny Bromwich
Coach: Stephen Kearney

A couple of noticeable omissions due to adding extras to energy drinks.

Archived