2016 NRL Season to be…

Gad

for some of us those 26 rounds have flown by, anyway the finals are here...

FINALS  FORMAT

The 8 finalists are split into 2 groups for week 1 of the Finals Series. The top 4 teams have the better chances of winning through to the Grand Final and play the 2 Qualifying Finals.

In week 1 the winners of the qualifyers get a bye through to Week 3 and play home game Preliminary Finals. The losers play home game Semi-Finals in Week 2.

The bottom 4 teams play the 2 Elimination Finals, where the winners advance to Week 2 away games and the losers' seasons are over.

FINALS WEEK 1  Qualifying and Eliminations

Friday, 9 September , 7.55pm  Elimination Final:

Broncos  v  Titans    Suncorp Stadium Brisbane

Saturday, 10 September, 5.35pm  Qualifying Final: 

Raiders  v  Sharks    GIO Stadium  Canberra

Saturday, 10 September , 7.55pm  Qualifying Final: 

Storm  v  Cowboys    AAMI  Stadium Melbourne

Sunday 11 September 4.10pm  Elimination Final:

Panthers  v  Bulldogs    Alliance Stadium Sydney

NB    even though the Panthers are the host/home team they will play the Dogs at Alliance Stadium as their home ground Pepper Stadium is deemed unsuitable to host finals football

WEEK TWO   September 16 - September 18

SEMI-FINALS

• 1st Semi-final: Loser of 1st QF hosts winner of 1st EF
  •  
  • 2nd Semi-final: Loser of 2nd QF hosts winner of 2nd EF

WEEK THREE   September 23 - September 24

PRELIMINARY FINALS

• 1st Preliminary Final Winner of 1st QF hosts winner of 2nd SF
  •  
  • 2nd Preliminary Final: Winner of 2nd QF hosts winner of 1st SF
  •  

WEEK FOUR GRAND FINAL   Sunday October 2

Winner of 1st PF meets Winner of 2nd PF at ANZ STADIUM

I was disappointed with Brisbane's opening 30 minutes last weekend however it would have been hard to 'stay up' for the entire run home (if they are to go all the way) so am hoping they've got that out of their season and will fire from here in. If I were Melbourne I'd be a bit nervous about bowing out in straight sets ....... I've got it down to Cowboys, Broncos and Melbourne - I still don't rate Canberra or Sharks as real genuine chances when it matters. Going to be a great finals series.

I back Cowboys over Storm - and I cant see the Broncs losing to the Gold Coast. 
Therefore it'll be Storm v Broncos in Week 2. I cant pick the winner. If the Broncos play fast and wide they can nullify the Storms control of the game and will win with ease. However if the Broncos start like they did against the Roosters... It'll be up in the air. 
I reckon the other side of the draw (Bulldogs, Panthers, Raiders, Sharks) to be inconsequential as none of them have the capacity to win the Premiership. Raiders have half a shot if Wighton gets off, but that will be very unlikely. Bulldogs don't have the defense for a GF. Panthers did well to make the 8 but don't stand a chance against (potentially) the Cowboys, Broncos or Storm. And the Sharks... *choke*. (In all seriousness they had an easy run for their 13 straight victories, playing the higher teams through the origin period and played well enough against the lower teams).

Broncos, Cowboys or Storm for the Premiership. I will say Broncos. 

GO THE BRONCS 

My heart says Broncos by one point in the last minute of second extra time against the Cowboys, but my head is saying Storm will take out the GF.  Timtam,  I think Bellyache would be wise to another change of tactics by Bennett and the Broncos won't have the same element of surprise if they meet again. 

Who knows who will win any of the finals games though, it has been that sort of season.  Anyone but Sharks or Dogs. Apart from them, and Melbourne with their occasionally dubious wrestle, all the teams in the finals are pretty clean and entertaining so it should be a great series.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ellicat said:

Who cares what Gus says ? lol

Agree it was an absolute cracking game. I was exhausted by half-time. Nearly fell out of my chair twice.

What was Gillett thinking ? :pinch:

Yeah I was thinking of you and hoped you'd make it through the game OK Brian ....... Brain snap from Gillett but I guess in the heat of the battle, under pressure and fatigue strange things occur. Both teams have some 'what if's' they could toss up so hats off to the winners. I'm off to the final (again - went last year) so looks like I'll (hopefully) have to buy myself a Cowboys shirt ......;)

Alright, perhaps Gus did know what he was talking about ..... although the Cowboys didn't help themselves with those early errors which skewed the tackle count. Shame to see them pay such a price for an epic win last week. Looks like I'll be stuck cheering for the Storm or Raiders next week .... although if it's a Raiders v Sharks final the atmosphere at the game would be awesome.

• 1 month later...

Four Nations 2016 done and dusted

Aussie`s 34 - 8 Kiwi`s. This win should put the Kangaroo`s back to No 1 on the international scene :ausflag:

I`ve never been a fan of Blake Ferguson`s, but I have to say Meninga has brought out the talent the guy has, for all to see.

Archived