Ningi creek bull shark

The Mad Hughesy

With plans to hit the bay early before the change of tide, chase pelagics then float some rather large baits out for some men in grey suits…. We were greeted with rather nasty weather on Saturday morning. To the point of not even being able to make it to the mouth of Pumicestone passage with big waves crashing over the boat. So we put our tails between our legs and headed for some flatter fishing grounds. We ended up sitting in ningi creek for the most part of the day. Long story short it was a very quiet days fishing with only one 101cm bull shark being boated by my brother. But hey, it was our first for the season so we can’t complain! Bait used was a slab of pike eel about 9cm long. The shark was released and swam off strong for another day…gotta love catch and release fishing for these things! Such a great estuary sports fish. It should be noted to that it picked up the bait in 4ft of water….hence whey you won’t see me swimming in that salty stuff too often!

Highlight of the day was watching dad catch a winter whiting on a 20g micro jig on 30lbs leader…the smile on his face was priceless!

image.thumb.jpg.314c5d4b3801fd920bb7a1d9image.thumb.jpg.5fbae5b2057c028a9a89ca4aimage.thumb.jpg.ff58fa7a5a76594d1cecbdd1

Would have been awful in the bay/off Bribie on Saturday. Sometimes the mouth of the passage can be rough even without wind. Must be a clash of currents. Many times I have got there and it has been really rough but once you get offshore Bribie it is glassed out. 

At least you got a fish, makes the day worth it :)

Archived