Who Has Fished Hamilton Island?

Angus

Might be heading up to Hamilton Island for a family/couples holiday in June.

Will have a bit of time to dedicate to fishing so the rods will be going.

Charters in the area are a consideration but to be honest they are expensive and I have never enjoyed being loaded onto the cattle trucks.

With this in mind has anyone any experience with:

a: land based fishing on Hamilton

b: hiring your own boat and winging it!

Any stories, pictures, advice welcome.

Angus 

@christophagus mate that would def be a plan. I think with the time we are there we would do one guided trip and then try and hire a boat. Funnily enough except for big sailing boats etc I have had little luck finding decent boats to hire our of Hamo. Do you remember the company you used?

@Oggy174 thanks mate. It won't be for a while (the report) but I love to plan this sort of thing :)

Angus

@Angus im not sure of the exact business name but here are the details about it. http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/fishing-and-boating/dinghy-hire . from memory, it is the only place to hire a boat out from

it is a bit pricey, so im unsure how it compares to guided trips... then again everything on Hamilton island is that bit more expensive than the mainland..

A couple of years ago we hired one of the little hire boats and trolled our way down the channel and down near the airport got smashed big time by a massive mackerel but had to cut it of at the boat as we weren't carrying any thing to deal with such a monster, then we went down the channel and fished plastics in a couple of spots and caught a good variety of fish including a coral trout that we took back to our room and devoured . Matt

• 1 month later...

If you decide to go on a charter then Renegade fishing charters would be the pick of the lot. They operate out of Hammo. It is quite pricey but they always seem to catch a variety of fish. 

If you hire a boat there is a couple of good deep water drifts between Hammo and Dent Island. Which should land you Indo's and the odd Nanigai. 

Fishing the fridging reefs around Whitsunday Island between 15 - 40ft is ideal for trout, sweet lip and blueys. 

Archived