Newport Foreshore Report - 30.12.15

curranboy99

Hello all, a report (poorly written, all the info mashed together) from my last fishing session today at Newport (Deception Bay)

I left home at about 9.00am on the way to check out the redcliffe pensulla beaches for wind and swell and to see where would be the most fishable. As i drove over the Hornibrook Bridge i saw clontarf beach was covered in wash from the SSE winds as i was driving to the bait shop so that instantly ruled out the options of the eastern and southern pennisula beaches so therefore i had chosen to try the northern protected area after i got my bait where i had never fished before.

When i got to Newport at the water front on deception bay, the swell was glassy, there was about a 5 knot SSE wind and i was fishing the rising tide. I had setup on the rockwall that runs along the newport shoreline and i was using live bloodworms for bait. My first cast i flicked my bait 10m out from the wall and was letting it sit on the bottom hoping for cruising whiting or bream to pick up and about 3 seconds after it landing in the water i had a rattle, rattle, rattle go thru the rod then the rod pulled towards the water and i lifted the rod in a firm upward motion and had a small fish on which didn't take long to land and it was a 22cm Sand Whiting and next hour i got another 10 whiting that were 17cm - 22cm. And my very last cast i got a decent tap, tap then the rod pulled towards the water, and line screamed off the reel fast for about 2 seconds and after a bit of a battle i had landed a surprise bream and the surprise being that it was 18cm and it fought like a legal bream which was impressive to me due to sheer strength of a tiny fish. After that fish i packed up and left, happy with that location and how it handles southerly winds.

56839ff2d50bb_newportbream1.thumb.jpg.e3

5683a02e1714f_newportwhiting1.thumb.jpg.

Archived