Shock Horror In The Salt.

rayke1938

I think that the last time i fished the salt i was wearing, this

008.JPGJust after or maybe prior to a whiting session  with Youngy..

Anyhow it was a long time ago so it was a pleasant surprise to get an invite to a follow up session , actually we had been waiting for a while for the tings to start biting in daylight .

So yesterday morning i headed off to runaway bay and met up with Wayne and hopped into his new ( to me ) boat for a scenic cruise through the Broadwater and up the Nerang.

The fish were a bit slow at first with Wayne catching the tings and me rat bream and tarwine.

After a couple of moves and a tide change they finally came on the bite and we ended up with a feed of 25 tings.

I had to relearn how to use an alvey again and struggled to tie knots with silly string 6lb clear mono. Combination of fat fingers.poor eyesight and 15 knot wind got the better of me so Wayne came to the rescue.

It was a bit late when I got home so my share of the fish went straight into the fridge and i filleted them this morning.

We have just enjoyed a feed of fresh whiting ( No salad or extras just fish) cooked in potato flour ( Judy is allergic to corn and wheat flour) with a few meals in the freezer for a later date.

Youngy thanks for a great day and good company and especially for playing nursemaid to an old fart.

Cheers

Ray

whitering.JPGP5090471.JPG

Great session there Ray - few good feeds there. Out of interest do you eat any of the bass you catch - if so how do you rate them (I've never fished for them but will one day ....).  Also, where do you get your potato flour (same as potato starch I'm assuming)?  The recipe I looked up for Salt & Pepper calamari recommended using it but I couldn't find it at Woolies so I used Chick Pea flour instead.

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great session there Ray - few good feeds there. Out of interest do you eat any of the bass you catch - if so how do you rate them (I've never fished for them but will one day ....).  Also, where do you get your potato flour (same as potato starch I'm assuming)?  The recipe I looked up for Salt & Pepper calamari recommended using it but I couldn't find it at Woolies so I used Chick Pea flour instead.

Judy does not like fresh water fish so i have to cook it myself. I grilled some bass at Borumba and it was really nice.

Judy gets potato flour at local health shop or Mrs Flanneries.

Sam on reflection I can recall a salt trip to a comp at Noosa and previous chasing threadies with Dino in the brissie River but pretty infrequent compared to the fresh.

Hi Ray, sorry for the late reply to our trip, i only just saw this.

It was my pleasure to take you for another trip up the Nerang, you are one of the true characters of a few fishing websites and certainly a valued member.

Lets hope it's not as long till our next trip together, cheers wayne

Archived