Madmic's Fish Of The Month Competition: August 2016

Angus

FOTM Entries - August 2016

The Fish Of The Month for August is: Mackerel (all species)

How to submit Entries:- Entries must be received by 8pm on the last day of each month. Entries must be in the format shown below (a good idea would be to copy and paste and then fill out for your catch).

Angler:

Species:

Where Caught: (location eg Bretts Wharf or Indooroopilly Bridge etc)

When:

Size: Length (overall) (please note a clearly discernible measuring device must be evident). We realize this will be challenging with a big spanish for example but do your best :)

Weight: if possible

Photo: Attach photo by browsing and finding the photo/s and then when finished writing your entry hit submit and the image will automatically be included.

Unique Item: A number that can be shown on a written card, display of fingers etc:

The Unique Number for this competition is 

Caption/Catch Report: (In the interest of fostering knowledge any little tid bits may be appreciated by the readers)

Bragging Rights: Bragging rights will be available to a potential 3 anglers... 

1. Largest Mackerel Caught On Bait

2. Largest Mackerel Caught On Lure

3. Largest Mackerel Caught Land Based

**Please provide photos showing whole fish and angler with fish** .

Please ensure your measure photo is clear and accurate as it could easily be decided by cm's!

Good luck!

AFO

Wasn't expecting mackerel to be next I must say! Apart from Spanish Mackerel offshore, coming across spotties or schoolies in the bay will be difficult at this time of year I would think but you never know. Not being a whinger but would have thought mackerel as a general species would be a better November onwards target. But that just adds to the challenge and I might have to head offshore to try and get my first Spanish ;) i guess we could do individual mackerel species at some point too later on in the year. Just my two cents. Good luck to everyone! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We are halfway through the month so time is running out to get your entries in for this months Mackerel round.

Fingers crossed for some good weather in the last half of August so we can see some fish entered for the month.

If i get the time to head out that far I will open up some decky spots on my boat, but be warned I'm no deep sea expert at all lol.

Madmic

21 minutes ago, Luvit said:

It's there for the taking.

Unfortunately, I won't be fishing over the next couple weeks. Not unless I can cast a line off Ayres rock!

Through facebook I have seen a lot of fish caught by Se Qlders so hopefully someone bags it. I forgot to tell boydy when he caught his 1770 spanish woops.

Angus

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Pilles, slugs or plastics, Kelvin ?

I'm a bait man (who keeps telling himself he should use those plastics he bought 3-4 years ago ..... :no:).  Pillies as well as probably trying my paravane/spoon setup out - yet to catch something other than a grinner with it yet.

Anyone been to Wello Pt ramp lately? Is there a pontoon or do you launch and park it on the sand either side of ramp? Thinking it might be a bit too exposed to the wind and tricky to retrieve solo ..... (assuming my brother turns down my offer of launching in the cold, windy darkness ....... :whistle:).

25 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I haven't been there in recent years but there was never a pontoon there. Red rubble to the sides not sand.

Your wind exposure assumption would be correct.

It got a slight upgrade and I think is meant to get 'floating walkways' so not sure if that is pontoons or something else. Think I'll just go Manly - be an easier retrieve.

May not have been the best species choice! And I totally forgot to remind Andrew when were at 1770 and he caught his Spanish.

A few of my facebook friends have been getting a few solid macks off Straddy as well but they are not forum posters. 

I will make sure next month's specie is far more accessible.

Angus

22 hours ago, Angus said:

May not have been the best species choice!

Don't be so hard on yourself Angus - perfect species choice if you ask me ............. report to come later once I've washed the boat, mown the lawn and entertained guests (family .....) ;)  The bugger must have bit me at some stage as I got a nice nick above the knuckle so haven't taken a photo yet - let's just say there is PLENTY of room for someone to outdo me ...... (although they're running out of time ..... :whistle:).  Caught on a floating pillie - good old faithful!!

On 28 August 2016 at 1:27 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

haven't taken a photo yet - let's just say there is PLENTY of room for someone to outdo me ...... (although they're running out of of time.....:whistle:)

Sounds like you got one km nice work! But make sure you don't run out of time too :frantics:

I managed to sneak a quick fish in today as my work got cancelled and I hadn't had my boat on the water since I put its name on her " The Spyker" in honour of my grandmother  (thats her last name) who has recently past away. Due to time restrictions I opted for a quick solo session around Green island chasing whatever I came across. It wasnt long before I sounded up some bait and dropped down a big placcy waiting for a Jew. Instead I came back with no lure so I wacked a small jig on my light rod and was onto a baby schoolie straight away. I continued fishing this school for a couple hours landing a dozen or so macks and I hooked a good size tuna but pulled the hooks after the first long run. 

Overall a fun little session for a Monday with the biggest mack hitting 55cm.

Didn't manage a selfie due to lack of coordination and desire to keep my fingers. Sorry all.

20160829_123644.jpg

20160829_154529.jpg

20160829_131316.jpg

20160829_122225.jpg

Schoolie Wello Pt August 2016 (2).jpgSchoolie Wello Pt August 2016.jpgYou've got me covered, well done, mine was only 52.5cm!! Luckily I caught mine on bait ;)

Angler: kmcrosby78

Species: School mackerel

Where Caught: Wello Pt

When: Sunday morning (28/8) about 6:30am

Size: 52.5cm

Weight: Jolly hefty ....... :whistle:

Launched at Wello Pt (ramp is good - 4 lanes and well lit) around 4:30am and headed towards Hybers Beacon hoping to find a likely looking spot to fish for a squire or two. Had wind against tide which wasn't ideal and the sky was lightening before I knew it and I had nothing to show for my early start (story of my life ....- why am I so addicted!!!). Some terns decided they'd turn up and start attacking my baits (half pillie unweighted on a baitrunner and a whole pillie on a 3-gang under a float. A couple of times I threw the half pillie out, set it in baitrunner mode and turned around to check the floating rig, heard the baitrunner screaming, got excited and started winding quickly before realising the angle of the line was pointing UPWARDS (darn terns - thankfully didn't hook them so didn't need to deal with de-hooking ....).

The terns finally left me along for 5 minutes (literally) and that's when the ganged rig went off - thought it was a very large pike at first before it turned to the side and realised it was a schoolie. Thought it'd be around legal and was pleased when it measured 52.5cm. Quickly bled it, washed it and put it in the esky, then realised as I went to get the next bait ready that there was a fair bit of blood on my hand.  The bugger must have nicked me above the knuckle. Got out the first aid kit that I'd shoved in the nose of my boat many years ago (was from when I used to do kids sports/soccer camps on school holidays) and never had to use. Zipper was corroded and stuck so got the knife out and slit it open - crusty old non-adhesive bandages and that's about all it contained .... not a bandaid in sight (NOT TO SELF ...). So I cut a bit off one of my rags and clumsily tied some fishing line around it and kept fishing.

The tide had turned and not much was happening so decided to head across to the Small Ships Channel and see if I could locate the deep hole/lagoon inside it but couldn't find it (have heard of schoolies being caught in there) so got a paravane/spoon rig out and proceeded to troll south towards the green beacons above Peel. Came across a nice big patch of bait and got excited with anticipation but all I could muster was one small tailor (approx. 25cm - would have made a great livie ...). Turned around to pass over it again and a large marlin game boat had moved in which made things difficult (no hard feelings though - two nice blokes on board) so wound the paravane in and tried drifting through with pillies but just got pecked to pieces.

Tried anchoring on them but they were moving around so that didn't work. In hindsight I wished I'd spent a bit more time with different techniques (metal slugs, plastics) to see if there were some decent fish down there but time was running short and I thought I'd come across some more, plus wanted to troll past the front of the Lazaret.

No more luck so headed back to the ramp. Took on a bit of water so need to re-seal around the bungs. Also have 3 tiny pinholes (two at the front left and one at back right - which I've just spotted - although doubt they let much in as they are above the ribs. Will post separately about these with photos sometime to get feedback on the likely cause (hull is 24 years old ...) and best remedy. Anyway, with the extra weight the winch cable snapped but luckily I had the boat within 10 or so cm and could JUST get the chain on so that's the next job .....

As usual, lot's of rambling about not many (2 in this case ....) fish. Oh and conditions were very choppy to begin with but by about 10am it was a beautiful day out there and not many boats out.

Nice work Kelvin. I had considered sending you a pm to see if you wanted company but knew I was having a late boozy night so doubt I could have driven early in the morning. 

How often does it happen that you get up at stupid o'clock to go fishing then don't get a bite until lunchtime. Happens to me regularly so now I tend to go when I think the tide is right, but then I see posts from people who are getting hot bites at dawn. So confused. Anyway, congrats on your reward for effort.

Archived