\"No Moreton Closures\" Approved Rally

Gary Fooks

Donna Browne, Spokesperson has today authorized me to officially announce this Rally and protest convoy.

Please ask any questions here or call 0412 111 573. ( 5am - 10pm) or g.fooks@uq.net.au.

email me for a copy of the poster if you can print some and send them out

I hope to see your support

Gary

Moreton Bay Access Alliance is still taking members but includes BIAQ Sunfish EFFA Commercial Fishing organizations and Fishing clubs. We have some differences but we all want these closures stopped.. DFP& Fisheries data show that there is no problems with fish stocks. And with bag limits etc rec fishers don’t cause any problems.

Greenies just want a land grab. No logic just a grab for land. Their “religion†is vegetarianism†so they say eating a fish is murder. So forget about logic or good science - they wont listen. And they have worked hard and smart for 30 years to infiltrate the system ( EPA) , while we just went fishing.

Until now fishing was too quiet. Now the backlash is here. They virtually killed of fishing from Bundy to Cooktown. Hervey Bay will fall just after the election and Moreton is next. ( then Breadwater - and thats in writing) The exact deal for what areas to be closed has already been done.

Only three things will make him do a backflip on his deal with Greens.

1 The Fishing Party showing a higher vote than the Greens in Cleveland

2 We get a huge turnout at the rally next Saturday

3 Beattie loses the election.

Below is the Poster for the Rally We get 200 cars and Beattie and the greens and the media will just call us – small nuisance group We get 1,000 and he will sit up. So it’s a huge risk having this event

Don’t think \"I’ll do it \" and forget to turn up - that will lose us Moreton bay for sure.

Gary

0412 111 573

OK,

Gary has sent me the info, so below here is a resized small enough version of the poster, a bit hard to read but you can get the idea.

Also here is a link to the full size PDF poster (650k)

Gary if you are posting the same message elsewhere, feel free to use the link (same goes for anyone else)

http://web.aanet.com.au/askenne/boatrally.pdf

[img size=354]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/real_small.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/08/27 08:52

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/08/27 08:53

Hey Gary I have a question. Are they offering an alternative to the greenies and the closure of areas?

What I mean is this: I have found that if someone takes something away something should be offered in it's place or there will be a hole.

So the greens are saying to preserve the bay they need to stop fishing in certian areas and this will give the fish stocks and marine life a chance to reestablish itself. (Take something and give something back - no hole).

Now we all agree that our fish stocks are not what they use too so I would ask if they are to reverse the cycle and stop the closures then what are they offering to assist the fish stocks?

May I suugest that a saltwater restocking program be established - similar to what NSW is doing in Botony Bay and Broken Head. This way the greenies don't have to push for closures and our fish sticks are refreshed.

Now I am not with the greenies and I would vote for the closures to get chucked out - and for the record I like Beatie but I am voting for the fishing party. However we can't just keep raping the Bay, we need to restock our local species.

I look forward to your feed back, thank you.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/27 15:39

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/27 15:41

Brian,

The small print says the protest is to ensure that fisho's get a say,

\"fight for your right to have a say on Moreton Bay\"

although the main print intimates the protest is out to stop closures.

I personally agree that more needs to be done, but historically there has been little or no consultation with Fisho's, which is what I want. They closed a lot of the Barrier reef with no consultation, I dont want them to do the same in the bay.

Heck, knowing our luck, the pin heads will decide stocking IS the way to go, and stock grinners and pike, coz everyone catches the blasted things! so they must be endangered!

I just want the decisions to be made in consultation, so I will lend my support, or at least go along to Clontarf beach to hear the speakers, I doubt I will go all the way to town just to turn around and come home again!. If they were all going to park in town, or do slow laps for an hour and grid lock the city I might be in that!

This event is all about a show of numbers. It’s simple - sit on your but next Saturday and you lose the best of Moreton Bay over the next 4 years ( starting March 2008)

To stop the closures we need any two of 3 things to succeed

1 the Fishing Party to get more votes than the Greens in the 4 seats where they are standing

OR

2 This rally to have a huge turnout. I mean 1000

OR

3 Or Beattie to lose - because we have the promises of the opposition in writing.

Fail on all 3 and we will have significant closures to Moreton in 2008 and the Broadwater declared a park. I have seen the plans for Moreton.

Trouble is you guys don’t believe me and too many sit on your buts saying it won’t happen. Well give them a call in Cairns - fishing is down 42 % after their closures. ( DPI data)

To understand the power behind the greenies you need to understand their politics, some call it a religion - Vegans

They believe in animal rights. We all believe in animal welfare - like don’t kick a cat, but animal rights gives animals the same rights as people

Animal Rights means that to kick a cat is assault, To kill an animal or fish to eat is murder. Keeping pets is slavery.

Look up the PETA and other web sites - their aim is world vegetarianism, and they have a patient long term approach. A little here, a little there. Here a boat ramp - there a 4% closure - more next time.

These are not like neighbours who you can compromise with - they want it all and will take it slowly - the strategy is called “like rust†I am not exaggerating – they take advantage of our nice nature of compromise and wont give up. They have a 100 year plan, and a 30 year head start on us.

That’s why we are losing so much now - that started 30 years ago or more.

And that’s why we have to stand up firm right now. We don’t have 10 years left.

Still don’t believe me ? On example of many is Germany where the Green party is stronger. In Germany you need a fishing licence. So what? - . well you have to do a 30 hour course and pass a tough exam. All about ecology and stuff - nothing on tying knots. And fishing ? NO catch and release NO live baiting No competitions of any form.

I have been reading and watching their web sites for 2 years now - and that’s how they work world wide.

I am not a loony though I may sound like one. I am a Uni lecture and my area is business strategy. I have turned my skills to watching their political strategy and it scares me. Don’t dismiss this because it is real and close.

Check out the Animal Welfare Bill in the Australian Senate introduced by Andrew Bartlett ( Democrats) - in the fine print we discovered a clause that would ban all fishing with hooks as cruelty. The Bill wont make it - - but it made it as far as the Senate before they threw it out

(Note – they also read our web sites and I see them discussing fishers as “real loony’sâ€Â

Well Guys - what do I say to that? What about this and I hope it doesn't piss you off for life.

It is my opinion and only that - I am not educated in the Marine Environment so I say what I say only based on a selfish fishermans opinion.

WHAT IS THE POINT IN FISHING IF THERE IS NO FISH.

WE NEED TO GET THE DPI AND QLD FISHERIES ON SIDE AND MOTIVATED TOWARDS RESTOCKING OR THEY MOSE WELL CLOSE THE WHOLE BAY.

I would rather see something being done then nothing.

Now as to the rally, if I am in town I will attend, but working on the GC it is a long weekend and my wife is talking about a trip out west. I understand what you say feral about \"having a say\" and numbers count, especially at election time, so I am more then happy to visit my loacl member, whoever they are!

However my question was not answered! Where are the plans to restock.

I don't care about playing fair - In business I have learnt \"Trust Noone\"

So in this case I say politicians are dictated and persuaded by numbers and for this reason I support the rally. There are very few politicians that follow their true convictions as they are governed by promises made to get elected and broken promises between times.

Maybe a federal level agrument is in order. I say this because fishing is a big money spinner. The GST alone on fishing merchandize must come to 150mil alone. The feds are suppose to collect this money and distribute it to the States. So Qld would be missing out on a fair wack of income if the fishing industry colapases.

Use some of this money to restock

Brian

Who said that fish were in trouble ?

All the DPI long term and recent data shows that fish stocks are sustainable - catch limits and size limits are working.

Who says fish are in trouble? Like so many just leap to that conclusion without data.

The greenies like the way you fall for that con job.

This debate over marine closures is not about science or restocking . Its just a land grab. A territory fight between us and them. Its kindy level and disgusting but there it is,

Its also a power play between EPA taking over fisheries responsibility.

Sorry but I need to say this:

Some of us have worked 5 to 50 hours a week in our own time - no pay no glory for 2 years to get to this stage. Paying our own costs and expenses all the time.

Now the Nationals / Liberals are listening. Our guys suggested most of their policy on fishing.

But Labor is a closed door and don’t even follow through on minor promises. That’s because they are now more “green†and less “the workers†party. In the old days Tom Burns got us Pumistone as Rec only. But last election Latham decided to save the trees and stuff the Tasmanian timber workers. Labor is now more green than blue collar.

Well that’s my experience “politicians†lots of work no money no glory. All we are asking of you is one lousy Saturday morning to stand up and be counted.

Enough and sorry it’s been a long struggle and all the signs are obvious yet some still sit in denial

… please be there … or take up golf.

If we don’t get decent support after giving it our best shot then some of us doing the work will have to say enough is enough. We need your encouragement - not in easy words here but by being there Saturday with enthusiasm.

I’ve had my whinge - back to work for now

Well Gary I like your conviction and I understand your points.

To answer your question about \"who says fish stocks are down\"

I do and most other rec fisher people I speak to.

I know it's not proven but I challange anyone to catch today what they did 20 years ago.

I also challange you to further debate about the issue.

Do you know the link to the Aust Fishing Party? ( I assume they have a web site)

However, this is your forum and you are correct, we should all get along to the rally in mass numbers.

Is there a goverment website adv the plans and size of the closures? I would like to see both \"factual\" sides to whats happening. When i was first approached by the aus fish party poeple they adv of what was planning on being done .i then went and spoke to some marine gov poeple at thetinnie and tackle show.

They also had nice pamflets and papers and maps and shirts and badges saying the opposite to what the Ausfishing party had to say.

Of coarse things may have chged and new plans may have been made by now.

I personaly think, as long as its not over the top, that marine parks are a great idea. Just as long as everything is kept in balance.

If anyone has any info on the gov side of things, that would be great, as id like to look into it further.

Ash

It doesn’t work that way. Here is what happens.

1. Lobby groups / political groups get policy argued and accepted in internal meetings

2. Ministers get manipulated into agreement / or they initiate the changes

3. The fine details are argued out between lobby groups departments and Ministers

4. Then when all is agreed they publish a “draft†for public comment. Sometimes there are intentional things in there that they will give back in negotiation after it becomes public ( Like GS Straights had a bag limit of 5 yabbies at one stage)

5. This “draft†goes for public consultation and we have only 21 days to reply. The reason is because a freedom of information application takes 28 days, so no chance to use that to open up the secret negotiations.

6. Hundreds of submissions are received.

7. A token amount of changes are made - no real substance, maybe an intentional error like the yabbie bag limit is changed

8. Then it s a done deal.

When they close 30% it ends up being 80% beciase they take all the best areas. In Cairns Rec fishing is down by 42% ( Fisheries numbers) and business have gone bankrupt.

Its not practical closures - this is vegetarians pushing their politics. There is no such thing as playing nice . You seem to be a genteman - so you woudl find these people hard to believe.

On Moreton bay we are at phase 3. There is nothing you can get your hands on to read. It is all being done in secret that’s why we have to complain very loudly.

Gary

every decent fisher wants fish their for future generations. I want to take grandchildren fishing with pride.

every time I hear the sentence below I want to hear how it ends

maybe if it does get closed there will be fish still there for generations to come

to come ... and what? go fishing ?

Its our park a park to take care of - a park not a zoo

There are some rumours reported as a leak - but no facts

But what they did in the past, from Bundy to Cooktown was to close down many many miles if beach, estuarys and zones in 300m of water. Take a look at the GBRMPA zoning maps and the Qld Government complimentary zones.

Expect the same appraoch in Moreton Bay and in a year or 2 , the Broadwater.

Gary

No Not at all - You have to read the words carefully - its a con job

He has said he will not ban fishing in Moreton Bay. That means he can close down 99% of the bay and not have broken this promise. Because Not Ban means not 100%. It a matter of lawyer English

They gave a clue when they talked about Great Sandy Straights - there they closed “only†4% - but it was the best areas and all the reefs, . OK 4% is completely closed but there are restrictions on 96% ( eg 1 hook one line be angler)

I am not making this up - its all hard copy printed and out there. Probably on the web too.

Beattie said nothing at all about commercial fishing - what will you do for fresh seafood or do you like the frozen catfish from Asia?

He has said the Marine Park WILL be reviewed in 2007 for changes in 2008 - this in parliament and again in the last 2 weeks. They have never backed away from that.

If they review we will lose - unless he fears the umbers of unhappy boaters at ralluy and postcards and petitions

If you think he has backed off – you have been conned by the clever way he used words. You are not the only one - tell your mates

Gary

Hasn’t Beattie change his mind on the closures ?

No Not at all - You have to read the words carefully

He has said he will not ban fishing in Moreton Bay. That means he can close down 99% of the bay and still not broken this promise. Because \"Not Ban\" means not 100%. It a matter of lawyer English

They gave a clue when they talked about Great Sandy Straights - there they closed “only†4% - but it was the best areas and all the reefs, . OK 4% is completely closed but there are restrictions on 96% ( e.g. 1 hook one line be angler)

I am not making this up - its all hard copy printed and out there. Probably on the web too.

Beattie said nothing at all about commercial fishing - what will you do for fresh seafood or do you like the frozen catfish from Asia?

He has said the Marine Park WILL be reviewed in 2007 for changes in 2008 - this in parliament and again in the last 2 weeks. They have never backed away from that.

If they review we will lose - unless he fears the umbers of unhappy boaters at rally and postcards and petitions

If you think he has backed off – you have been conned by the clever way he used words. You are not the only one - tell your mates

Gary

Pd Anngry EPA staff have leaked teh closures allready aproved iin deals. Except she/ he is too scrared to tell the media. Yes I know I coould be just making it up - so take it oir leave it, but from past experience thats what happens.

In the GBR , the Zoning maps were at the printers and printed before the public consulation period was closed.

Gary - what is he feed back on the rally?

Was is a good turnout and did it have the effect you were hoping?

Do you have a contact at DPI to discuss the establishment of a salt water restocking program for SE Qld?

Is there a independant member running in Albert that is supportive of the fishing party views?

The Rally?

Ran all very smooth about 200 from the South and 100 from the north ( plus 2 vegans)

MBAA get a 3pm call Friday for a 5 pm meeting with Anna Bligh. The results was that commercial and rec and traditional etc fishers will have a seat on the table Before the document goes public.

And its not just an EPA show - fisheries get in there too. That’s probably more important. You will have to wait for official announcements before you hear more - but that’s the key points.

Its going to be an 18 month fight - so do not think its over in one rally.

But who do you trust? Has the deal already been done?

Are they going to restrict fishing or not?

Reading through the media releases on web sites The Premier says:

“We will involve representatives of all major fishing and boating groups in the development of the review.†Premier’s office 2 September 2006

Anna Bligh says the review has not started : “The review is due to be completed in 2008, and hasn’t even started yet,†2 September 2006

But the Greens say the review has not only started but been concluded as the state government has a plan for no go zones across sections of the Bay.

Writing in response to the Nationals Fishing policy: “This is in contradiction to the state government's plan for no-go zones across sections of the Bay.†27 Aug Juanita Wheeler Spokesperson, Queensland Greens.

So what is going on? Perhaps the answer lays in the final media release.

“The Greens will recommend direct preferences to the Labor party in 13 seats†“Greens lead spokesperson Juanita Wheeler said the party had negotiated with the ALP on a number of issues†Juanita Wheeler Greens 1 September 2006

Based on this alone I am voting against Beattie as a protest.

Albert? you wil have to check that yourself but the liberal / Nationals fishing policy was good enough. AND they asked fishers for advice first.

Restocking? thats for after the election. Then you put together a comprhensive document ( like 100 pages) then you make a detaled submission. Phoning up will do nothing.

Gary

Gary,

I work under a state award, and believe me while passionate about fishing, it comes a poor second to the risk of a state co-alition government either giving us over to the federal IR laws, or introducing Howard style IR laws themselves.

Fishing is my hobby, having a good job where I get a fair days pay for a fair days work is much more important to me. Beattie gets my vote regardless of how much I hate the man.

Feral

You have touched on the real problem and I respect what you say.

When the Ancient Greeks started democracy, all the males came in and voted on every issue. But now we vote once for 3 years and hope for the rest.

For me fishing is symbolic of a larger set of issues. And its whee I have drawn a line in the sand and said enough is enough

And I see the anti fishing lobby as fundamentally evil. Yep evil.

The greens and environmentalists give the impression they are the “good guys†- the priests of the environmentally aware Australians. But then I see their non democratic processes they use to get their aims and find they are more evil than Howard. At least Howard had the votes. These guys just manipulate the system with very few votes.

And they have manipulated Labor and Liberals.

Deputy Premier Anna Bligh said to my face last Friday that no plans for Moreton bay had started.

Then I read in a Greens press release about State government plans for no-go areas across the Bay. This was confirmed yesterday by a journalist friend that she told that the Government had agreed to follow the AMCS recommendations (30% to 50% closures ) in a deal with the government for preferences.

When I read the anti fishing web sites an go down deep I find the philosophy is basically animism. Animal rights ( not just animal welfare) so I read that they want world vegetarianism and equal animal rights (killing an animal is murder, keeping a pet is slavery etc)

Labor used to be the fisherman’s friend. Labor used to be for the workers. In the good old days it was Tom Burns who got the recreational only fishing area of Pumicestone passage.

But Labor is now more Green than Blue (collar) - there is a large green lobby within Labor and the turning point was the last Federal election when Latham announced that they would save the trees in Tasmania and stuff the workers. This is not just my concept - it comes from a 1 hour conversation I had on a flight with Gary Gray - ex federal national secretary of Labor.

Beattie is going to win. I don’t think the others have their act together but I have decided to make mine a protest vote.

Gary Fooks wrote:

Feral

You have touched on the real problem and I respect what you say.

When the Ancient Greeks started democracy, all the males came in and voted on every issue. But now we vote once for 3 years and hope for the rest.

For me fishing is symbolic of a larger set of issues. And its whee I have drawn a line in the sand and said enough is enough

And I see the anti fishing lobby as fundamentally evil. Yep evil.

The greens and environmentalists give the impression they are the “good guys†- the priests of the environmentally aware Australians. But then I see their non democratic processes they use to get their aims and find they are more evil than Howard. At least Howard had the votes. These guys just manipulate the system with very few votes.

And they have manipulated Labor and Liberals.

Deputy Premier Anna Bligh said to my face last Friday that no plans for Moreton bay had started.

Then I read in a Greens press release about State government plans for no-go areas across the Bay. This was confirmed yesterday by a journalist friend that she told that the Government had agreed to follow the AMCS recommendations (30% to 50% closures ) in a deal with the government for preferences.

When I read the anti fishing web sites an go down deep I find the philosophy is basically animism. Animal rights ( not just animal welfare) so I read that they want world vegetarianism and equal animal rights (killing an animal is murder, keeping a pet is slavery etc)

Labor used to be the fisherman’s friend. Labor used to be for the workers. In the good old days it was Tom Burns who got the recreational only fishing area of Pumicestone passage.

But Labor is now more Green than Blue (collar) - there is a large green lobby within Labor and the turning point was the last Federal election when Latham announced that they would save the trees in Tasmania and stuff the workers. This is not just my concept - it comes from a 1 hour conversation I had on a flight with Gary Gray - ex federal national secretary of Labor.

Beattie is going to win. I don’t think the others have their act together but I have decided to make mine a protest vote.

All true Gary,

but last Federal election I did not want Howard in, could not stand Lathum, so voted Labor in the house of Reps, protest voted in the senate to the nationals, boy was that the biggest mistake of my life!

• 1 month later...

This has nothing to do with the lobbying for Moreton Bay closures, nor closing the whole coast from fishing. It has nothing to do with the bay, or other OFFshore waters. It's INSHORE (coastal and estuarine systems)

The DPI&F want to review all the current fishing regulations to ensure that they are sustainable. This includes regulations on sharks and rays; size and bag limits; no fishing areas etc etc.

This isn't what Gary Fooks was on about.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/10/12 23:18

I certainly hope that is correct Terry, but being a Govt employee, I am fully aware of how they operate, and short consultation times with report date already announced before public consultation occurs usually means the report is already written, and they are ticking boxes (IE - yes of course we consulted)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/13 05:48

Sorry, I can't help but think of something that was mentioned in a lecture about Public Relations.

In which case, this 'consultation' is more a case of the DPI explaining what will happen, with the stakeholders expressing their concerns. If anyone can remember, that's what took place with the community consultation for the inner city bypass. They greatly reduced the number of people who are upset about it by simply listening to their concerns. For a lot of people, nothing was done about their problem, but they were statisfied, or could live with the construction problems because the council listened.

It's certainly possible that this is something similar.

Archived