Daiwa Aird 2500...help Needed Please

fishnooby

Hello members,

I received a present last week from helping my mom throughout the year and she awarded me with a Daiwa Aird 2500.

As I am young I do not have the experience as to what line I can put on it, from what I have read there are many types of fishing line.

On the box it says mono line, though from what I have been reading many people use braid and fluorocarbon leader together.

All of my knowledge on fishing has been through youtube.

What is better and why, and will all lines work with my reel?...what pound line would I need?

I would like to learn how to fish for whiting, bream and flathead.

Any help would be nice,

Thank you

Danny.

Hi Danny,

Lucky mum and luckier you. Either mono line or braid will work on your reel. For the speices your are chasing a light poundage line of 6-10lb will do. 

If fishing bait mono will be fine and it is a lot cheaper than braid. If you are going to try lure fishing, braid and fluorocarbon will be better. 

The expirenced bream fisho's will quite often use 3lb fluorocarbon for right through for all the line. But as a beginner mono will catch you plenty of fish until you decide you want to get a bit more serious. 

If you do search for bream and whiting on forum you will most likely find a lot information.

Good luck 

wayne

Thank you Wayne for the information you have given me.

I went into my local tackle store today and it looks like I might be able to get all my line next year for my birthday or christmas if im lucky.

The woman in the tackle shop said I need to put normal line on the reel first, then braid and then a leader, some lure attachment and lures. She said it would be close to $100.

I asked all my neighbours in the street to see if I could help them do jobs, no jobs :no:

Why do they have fishing lines in pounds instead of kilos? I asked my mom and she said maybe because the older people don't like to name it in kilos? She wasn't sure.

Hi Danny

The reason that the person has said to use mono first is; 

1/ to stop the braid from slipping on the spool. The mono will grip it when put on under pressure 

2/ is to build it up so you don't have to buy as much braid.

Usually you would use braided line with a graphite rod. If you are using a fibreglass rod the advantages are a little less. 

There are a few things to consider if you decide to use braid and fluorocarbon. Braid is a lot more slippery than mono and requires special knots or it will undo. You can learn them off youtube. If it is a decent tackle shop you can asked them to show the correct knots and do for you for the first time.

There are many advantages with braid when using and a graphite rod is because it has no stretch. This means the angler can feel when the braid hits logs and when fish bite a lot easier. It is thinner diameter than for the same poundage line in mono. 

The disadvantages with braid is it will cut into your hands like a knife, if it is under tension. It is very limp which can get tangled around your rods runners. It can get knots in it than can then break. 

I use braid on nearly every outfit I have and do mainly lure fishing so I am not against it. I just think when starting out mono is easier to use, it is cheaper, less knots has stretch which will help you to not pull hooks out of the fishes mouth. 

To answer your question regarding pounds being stated on the line. A lot have both lb & kg's.

I guess because as anglers we like to use pounds because a 4lb fish sounds better than a 1.8kg.

Good luck with catching your first fish.

Archived