Madmic's Fish Of The Month Competition: September 2016

Angus

FOTM Entries - September 2016

The Fish Of The Month for August is: Flathead (all species)

How to submit Entries:- Entries must be received by 8pm on the last day of each month. Entries must be in the format shown below (a good idea would be to copy and paste and then fill out for your catch).

Angler:

Species:

Where Caught: (location eg Bretts Wharf or Indooroopilly Bridge etc)

When:

Size: Length (overall) (please note a clearly discernible measuring device must be evident). We realize this will be challenging with a big spanish for example but do your best :)

Weight: if possible

Photo: Attach photo by browsing and finding the photo/s and then when finished writing your entry hit submit and the image will automatically be included.

Unique Item: A number that can be shown on a written card, display of fingers etc:

The Unique Signal for this competition is 

Thumbs Up!

Caption/Catch Report: (In the interest of fostering knowledge any little tid bits may be appreciated by the readers)

Bragging Rights: Bragging rights will be available to a potential 3 anglers... 

1. Largest Flathead Caught On Bait

2. Largest Flathead Caught On Lure

3. Largest Flathead Caught Land Based

We should see plenty of entries for this one. I am away half the month but will definitely be giving it a crack if the weather gods line up with availability.

Just one question (not for me obviously, I probably won't catch any flatties). I assume the fish has to be within legal limits?  Just thought it was worth raising so there is no confusion.

cheers and good luck everyone, Steve.

14 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

We should see plenty of entries for this one. I am away half the month but will definitely be giving it a crack if the weather gods line up with availability.

Just one question (not for me obviously, I probably won't catch any flatties). I assume the fish has to be within legal limits?  Just thought it was worth raising so there is no confusion.

cheers and good luck everyone, Steve.

Pictures of over sized flatties that are released will be accepted.

There has been firm confirmation of this issue since we last had to deal with it.

I think it naive to think a photo would not occur anyway so might as well post it (*awaiting crucifixion*...). 

Well this should be a busy post this month! Flathead are easily accessible to everyone with or without a boat!

It will be good to finally fill the Land based category with a winners name.

I'm happy to put up a couple of lures that will do the job if @Angus doesn't mind and i agree with @ellicat and @Angus about the minimum size only applying. This is one of the prime months for big Flathead so it is possible that we may see some big fish coming in. Just remember that anything over 75cm (any size really if you don't intend to eat it) should be handled with care and put back in the water ASAP...

Can't wait to see the entries start for this one! Good luck all :) 

Madmic

I didn't get out on Father's Day so I got up early this morning and got an 1.5hrs fishing in before work. Only one other boat out was in the water so I quickly started flicking the banks. Had few nudges and then a tailor slashed the paddle tail so things were looking promising. Next I tried a smaller Gobbler curl tail and caught the smaller of the 2 flathead and placed it in the live bait tank. Then stepped up the size of the lure to a 4" paddle tail and the next fish was a bit bigger. It joined the other one in the live bait tank till I finish the session and had to make a dash for home. I could not be bothered cleaning the fish tonight after work so I released both of them. I didn't expect to target Flathead this month but when time is short they are good bet. 

Angler Wayne

Species Flathead

Where Pine River

Size 1@ 42.5cm and 1 @ 51.5cm

57cceedc5ba51_Fhead2.JPG.e68238a1e17dd77fb016615164279aed.JPG

57cceeca2f4ca_Fhead1.JPG.0100d40073aa3c09e7f992602baf6448.JPG

1 weekend down and 2 entries already. Nice work on the fishing before work! I miss those days.

2 entries and 2 categories filled. (if we get another land based entry with a proper measure i'm afraid you'll be out done either way here helibase :) rules is rules)

My favorites are these ones and yep they are in order lol:

http://www.madmicsfishingtackle.com.au/shop/sl-fl-jerk-bait-60mm,-6.7g,-1.5m---olivine-craw.html

http://www.madmicsfishingtackle.com.au/shop/floating-crankbait-32mm,-2.7g,-1.8m---browngreen.html

http://www.madmicsfishingtackle.com.au/shop/suspending-crankbait-35mm-3.8g-2m---red.html

http://www.madmicsfishingtackle.com.au/shop/sinking-minnow-65mm,-6g,-1.2m---green.html

http://www.madmicsfishingtackle.com.au/shop/soft-plastic-minnowshad-6-pk-90mm-,-6g---green.html

http://www.madmicsfishingtackle.com.au/shop/lobby-soft-plastic-95mm,-7.4g-pk8---green.html

Everyone has a favorite colour but that top jerkbait lure is a really nice one. The little cranks are boasted as a Bream lure but I catch a lot of flattys on them too. Easy to use with a slow rolling retrieve, nothing special. The hardbodies work cast or slowly trolled.

Can't wait too see some more fish, hopefully a big ole girl will show up soon :) 

Madmic

Gday to all AFO'ERS,  first entry for FOM for me,

Angler: Iain EZY mcknight

Species: Flathead (kayak caught)

Where Caught: Mouth Tingalpa Creek

When: Sat 10th Sept 2016

Size: Length (overall)  55.5cm

Lure: Noeby curl grub 4in white pearl

Other flattie 60cm caught on zman minnowz pink was caught on 31 Aug Fisherman's Island (not to be counted just for fun)

Good luck to all. EZY

20160910_1239310.JPG

20160910_1239260.JPG

20160802_1018370.JPG

On 1 September 2016 at 1:23 PM, Angus said:

Entries must be in the format shown below (a good idea would be to copy and paste and then fill out for your catch).

Angler:

Species:

Where Caught: (location eg Bretts Wharf or Indooroopilly Bridge etc)

When:

Size: Length (overall) (please note a clearly discernible measuring device must be evident). We realize this will be challenging with a big spanish for example but do your best :)

Weight: if possible

Photo: Attach photo by browsing and finding the photo/s and then when finished writing your entry hit submit and the image will automatically be included.

Unique Item: A number that can be shown on a written card, display of fingers etc:

The Unique Signal for this competition is 

Thumbs Up!

Just a reminder guys to keep your entries to the format requested and don't forget

1- Picture on a clear measuring device (brag mat or the like)

2- the unique code for each month found at the beginning of each thread which must be included in your photo. This month is the "thumbs up"

Keep the entries coming guys!

thanks

Madmic

First of all... I must apologise. 

a) The poor bloke has obviously been filleted

b ) no thumbs up...

But this is the larger of Tika's two fish from Sunday at Pine River. She was proud of herself so i thought why not give it a shot, even if I forgot the photo before having lunch...

CAUGHT ON BOAT, WITH BAIT.

Angler: Tika

Species: Flathead

Where Caught: Hays Inlet

When: Sunday 11/09/16

Size: 43.5cm

Weight: heavy

Photo: 

57d6398318434_IMG_17871.JPG.ab43e33c23457334a57756881f4c5966.JPG

16 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Hit up Golden Beach and Bullcock Beach today with @Old Scaley.

Heading out again tomorrow.

There will be reports and entries.

@Old Scaley must have lost his bearings, that's a LONG way from 'the pin' ....... :whistle: Did you try the little bay just inside the bar before the boardwalk area? Caught a couple of decent ones landbased there last year. Looking forward to the report and entries.

Archived