Lack Of Fresh Whole Fish Markets In Brisbane??

The Mad Hughesy

Does anyone else find there is a severe lack of places to buy fresh whole fish? Considering the fishing we have at our door step, if I want to go buy a whole fresh mullet I have about 2-3 options in Brisbane from what google can tell me (Bulimba, Lawnton and at a stretch Morgan’s seafood). Unless I am wrong but can anyone tell me of a place near the Caboolture/Morayfield/Bribie area that sells whole fresh fish? The "seafood market" at Morayfield had zero fresh fish...it was all frozen

I think a lot get exported.

I have become such a fish snob over the years and rarely if ever buy fish even if it is weeks between trips.

I have defrosted fish that I have frozen myself weeks after capture that tastes 5 times fresher than market "fresh" fish.

And then there are species. People paying 59 bucks a kilo for red emp that is who knows how old. I love red emp but will eat a fresh flathead over buying it and be grateful.

Maybe I am just a pessimist or maybe i just prefer the self sufficient thing.

Oh and did know most markets sprinkle seafood in sulphates to retain colour. I hate the idea that "fresh" seafood has actually been chemically preserved for appearance sake. For example Rufus King trawlers puts sulphates in the boiling vats to prevent black spots on the shell. The spots are a harmless and natural occurance but consumers prefer a liberal chemical dose than see them? 

Sulphates won't immediately cause harm to most (unless you're my wife who is allergic), but is yet another hidden example.of a chemical that the body cannot process and thus builds in our system. 

Anyway rant over :)

Angus

P.s. I am not saying there are no good suppliers out there. But good to have info so the right questions can be asked.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

I think a lot get exported.

I have become such a fish snob over the years and rarely if ever buy fish even if it is weeks between trips.

I have defrosted fish that I have frozen myself weeks after capture that tastes 5 times fresher than market "fresh" fish.

And then there are species. People paying 59 bucks a kilo for red emp that is who knows how old. I love red emp but will eat a fresh flathead over buying it and be grateful.

Maybe I am just a pessimist or maybe i just prefer the self sufficient thing.

Oh and did know most markets sprinkle seafood in sulphates to retain colour. I hate the idea that "fresh" seafood has actually been chemically preserved for appearance sake. For example Rufus King trawlers puts sulphates in the boiling vats to prevent black spots on the shell. The spots are a harmless and natural occurance but consumers prefer a liberal chemical dose than see them? 

Sulphates won't immediately cause harm to most (unless you're my wife who is allergic), but is yet another hidden example.of a chemical that the body cannot process and thus builds in our system. 

Anyway rant over :)

Angus

P.s. I am not saying there are no good suppliers out there. But good to have info so the right questions can be asked.

sounds similar to red meat from the likes of woollies and coles.

Archived