Great Flathead Fiasco 2016

Old Scaley

Well I haven't posted a lot recently - mainly because I haven't been catching a lot.  That is very damaging to the ego so I thought "how can I make myself look good on the forum????".  The answer was obvious.  Go fishing with someone even more inept than me, catch a couple of flathead to enter into Madmic's comp and embarrass the deckie by completely outfishing them.  The choice was clear, but unfortunately @kmcrosby78 was busy not catching fish at Noosa, so second banana had to be @ellicat.  If I could convince him to come to the pin with me, I could coerce him into giving up all of @benno573 secret spots.

Of course, ellicat was way to smart for me so he quickly arranged for one of his offspring to be deposited in Caloundra and suggested a trip to the Pumistone Passage instead on the pretext that we could pick up his spawn on the way home.  Great idea, I thought.  The passage is a well known flattie haunt so I was sure to grab a bag of monster crocs and humiliate Brian at the same time. 

Day 1: We started off drifting the flats opposite Bell's Creek dragging plastics behind us in a 15 knot "breeze".  No luck there, so where to next?  Where else would boys hang out in spawning season to boast of their conquests?  The bar, of course. So down to the bar we went, only to find it wasn't the angry beast we expected, but more like a pretty emerald lake

P1020677.JPGThen Brian unleashed his secret weapon, the pink plastic which we gave a  nickname not suitable for a family site, but let's just say that Brian's PB now has a double meaning.  he was straight on and fought the beast manfully for at least 50 seconds.  Excitement rose, with Brian screaming like a schoolgirl "I've got colour" then up popped the beast. 

P1020678.JPG

Pretty sure it was the plastic that attacked the fish.  Brian followed up that effort with a second flattie that was even smaller.  Brian 2, me 0.  Something was not right here. So we moved back closer the ramp where I managed a small trevally to at least get on the scoreboard.

Day 2.  We couldn't leave it there so we hatched a plan for an assault on flathead that haunt the  mouth of the Brissie river.  Absolutely beautiful conditions, but the fishing was slow again.  Brian was first up with a "cigar flathead" - a common but unappreciated member of the flathead family.  Unfortunately no photos of this one.  We drifted the front wall for absolutely nothing except a just legal flathead to me (Brian has the photos of this beast).  A bit later, the catch of the day. 

P1020680.JPG

More drifting, more disappointment, more chocolate for Brian.

Overall, a couple of quiet days on the water, but the company was great and the weather really turned it on.  Looking forward to another outing with the great man. Thanks for your company, Brian.

Also,

Day 1. A day of mixed emotions as I was jubilant at being offered a spot on Steve's boat and then somewhat depressed to learn I was actually second fiddle to Mrs @kmcrosby78 . Determined to get revenge I secretly hooked up my rubber flathead from my tackle bag and slipped it into the water while Steve was trying to un-snag himself from the sandy bottom. Then I called "On !"

I've no idea how the 2nd flattie came to be entangled in my rig but I am sure it was something to do with the well-hidden talents my guidance counselor used to speak of.

Here is a pic of the donut saving vertical big-eyed silver flathead Steve managed. (ID would be good from those trevally experts). Note the hold Steve has on my PBs.

WP_20160923_14_00_37_Pro__highres.jpg

Day 2. What a beautiful day. Unfortunately spoilt only by Steve's decision to stop to get ice on the way to the ramp to keep the catch cool. A definite hex on the day. It was either that or bring home warm fetid flathead for feasting on. Still not sure which is worse.

Like Steve said, I was on early with a cigar flathead. Forgot to take a picture at first but later in the day after the head had fallen off I snapped this -
WP_20160924_14_23_03_Pro.jpg

Some may also recognise this by their other name - grinner.

Well then, as if to rub in the '2nd choice' comments from the day before, Steve summonsed all his luck to score this entry into @Madmic's comp.

WP_20160924_09_45_42_Pro.jpgWP_20160924_09_47_07_Pro.jpg

The rest of the day was useless effort as we bobbed around in the ocean like a half empty bottle throwing plastics, hard bodies and even fresh cigar flattie for no reward.

A top couple of days though. Would do a third, just not with @Old Scaley. :lol:

Just jokes. Really enjoyed it, Steve. Where to next ?

Very, very, very entertaining report and co-commentary there gents (APART FROM THE DEROGATORY COMMENTS AIMED AT MY FISHING 'PROWESS' ..... YOU'VE BEEN REPORTED STEVE, TO, UMMMMM ......, BRIAN .....). Would have been a nice couple of days fishing different areas - shame you didn't land a decent one inside the Caloundra bar area (should have beached the boat and fished land-based .... ;)).

For the record Steve I caught 3 flathead on lures in Lake Weyba Creek in a 1 and a half hour session landbased (well, sort of, was in thigh deep water hence no photos ....) and helped my 19 month old catch his first fish, a 29cm bream in the middle of the day on a piece of sausage ..... :D).

Oh and Brian, sadly I think I've decoded what PB stands for, wouldn't rhyme with 'stink loner' would it .....?:no:.

19 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Very, very, very entertaining report and co-commentary there gents (APART FROM THE DEROGATORY COMMENTS AIMED AT MY FISHING 'PROWESS' ..... YOU'VE BEEN REPORTED STEVE, TO, UMMMMM ......, BRIAN .....). Would have been a nice couple of days fishing different areas - shame you didn't land a decent one inside the Caloundra bar area (should have beached the boat and fished land-based .... ;)).

For the record Steve I caught 3 flathead on lures in Lake Weyba Creek in a 1 and a half hour session landbased and helped my 19 month old catch his first fish, a 29cm bream in the middle of the day on a piece of sausage ..... :D).

Oh and Brian, sadly I think I've decoded what PB stands for, wouldn't rhyme with 'stink loner' would it .....?:no:.

Only kidding, Kelvin. Good to hear Liam is feeling better and is now hooked on fishing. For the record, PB actually rhymes with "stink fits".  We will catch up for a fish soon, mate.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:03 PM, ellicat said:

A top couple of days though. Would do a third, just not with @Old Scaley. :lol:

As it happens Benno rang me last night to organise a Pin trip today. Sadly I missed the call. Ended up going for a mid/late arvo session at Broken Head today where Benno managed a GT on a slug on about his 6th cast. That was all she wrote though with nothing else for the next 2 hours or so. Once again beautiful conditions were the consolation.

43 minutes ago, ellicat said:

As it happens Benno rang me last night to organise a Pin trip today. Sadly I missed the call. Ended up going for a mid/late arvo session at Broken Head today where Benno managed a GT on a slug on about his 6th cast. That was all she wrote though with nothing else for the next 2 hours or so. Once again beautiful conditions were the consolation.

I had to Google Broken Head to find out where it was - day trip?

Well done brian for keeping my spots safe at the pin... ;) aside from the fact I blindfold and hog tie you before each trip and play my favourite "does this rag smell like chloroform" game, I doubt you'd know the way anyway! :P

i'll take you out there one day soon @Old Scaley with a zero guarantee of anything except a lot of bs. we'll take @ellicat to lower and raise the anchor, make lunch, pump all the yabbies, bait, set and check the crab pots and clean the boat afterwards and @kmcrosby78 can follow us until the water gets too deep, don't know, he may have very long thighs and be able to keep up the whole way.

Your mobile number still the same Steve?

2 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Well done brian for keeping my spots safe at the pin... ;) aside from the fact I blindfold and hog tie you before each trip and play my favourite "does this rag smell like chloroform" game, I doubt you'd know the way anyway! :P

i'll take you out there one day soon @Old Scaley with a zero guarantee of anything except a lot of bs. we'll take @ellicat to lower and raise the anchor, make lunch, pump all the yabbies, bait, set and check the crab pots and clean the boat afterwards and @kmcrosby78 can follow us until the water gets too deep, don't know, he may have very long thighs and be able to keep up the whole way.

Your mobile number still the same Steve?

Hahahaha, hilarious, @benno573 Pretty sure @ellicat has now given up on the anchor business (I know I shouldn't spoil the deckies) and lunch would no doubt be twistees and a crunchie bar, but he will be a great fallback for bs if the fishing is a bit slow.  Mobile is still the same, mate, I never change anything.

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Pretty sure I'm doing my hair that day.... Not that it sounds too different to a normal trip. :P

Awesome - I'll take your spot in the boat then ....... :whistle: Being 6 ft 4 in I hope there's plenty of legroom for my thighs ....... On a more serious note though a multi-boat day out would be good sometime - with 'winning boat' bragging rights of course ..... ;)

Archived