A Special Fishing Report.

Cmaltby

I'll start by saying not sure if this is in the right place. I'm bang on in the centre of the state so not sure if you'd call it south or north qld... I'll stick with south

ive been dying for a fish since I have been up in Yeppoon and after working away the last six days I wouldn't be denied. The wind was horrible and low tide was at mid day so I decided my young fella and me would go pump some yabbies and we would try catch some whiting( perfect first fish for him) 

i found some great yabby beds at the causeway and we got a tonne. My son was loving it pointing them all out to me counting them and cheering me on while I worked hard and when the seagulls came near our bucket he'd scream at them to die.. no idea where he's learned that at - week off 3 years old. But moving on we moved to the mouth of Todd creek for the incoming tide and we're getting bites straight away all too small and eventually we had one, he wound it in himself and I must say it was a proud moment his first fish was a whiting, he proceeded to catch a bream after before losing interest and instead just playing in the sand while I snared a few more. After a couple of hours we packed up  threw out remaining yabbies back and are on our way home so he can see his mum. 

For mw a very special trip not the biggest fish but definitely ones I'll remember image.jpgall tuckered out 

we had a passer by stop for a chat and help out with the photos 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Couldn't beat it if you tried. The little shirts because unfortunately like me were so pasty white we burn thinking of going in the sun.. 

It's amazing how much fun you can have catching fish like whiting and bream. He's definitely hooked was telling his mum when we got home how he caught fish. Will make for easier weekends when he's older. 

Great stuff mate, always great to see kids fishing (and catching!). I've got an almost 5 year old and a 20 month old and in some ways I can't wait til they're the age I can take them offshore, etc but on the other hand I definitely realise that before I know it they'll be 18 and out of the house (hopefully, well maybe ....). Reminds me I need to get the photo of my youngest and his first fish, a 29cm bream, from the holidays and put it up here.

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Oh and seeing your young fella in his BCF shirt has got me thinking it might be a good option for Santa this year for my boys ..... :)

They regularly have them on sale you're better off waiting other wise they're close to $60 for a kids shirt. Tackle world is more reasonably priced too think they're $40. But I got this one for $30

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great stuff mate, always great to see kids fishing (and catching!). I've got an almost 5 year old and a 20 month old and in some ways I can't wait til they're the age I can take them offshore, etc but on the other hand I definitely realise that before I know it they'll be 18 and out of the house (hopefully, well maybe ....). Reminds me I need to get the photo of my youngest and his first fish, a 29cm bream, from the holidays and put it up here.

29 cm bream is a cracker for a first fish. I take my young fella everywhere but he's only just started getting the concept of using a rod, prior he would just stab it in the water like a spear and drop it too resulting in me going swimming. 

14 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

29 cm bream is a cracker for a first fish. I take my young fella everywhere but he's only just started getting the concept of using a rod, prior he would just stab it in the water like a spear and drop it too resulting in me going swimming. 

Fair bit of assistance from Dad as he is only 20 months ..... :) Was his first holiday being able to walk and being around fishing rods so he became a force to be reckoned with. Once he grabbed hold of his brother's rod it was quite an effort to get it back - surprisingly however he didn't throw/drop it and generally even had the tip in the air.

Problem was each time we lost a bait trying to remove it from his very strong grip so I could safely rebait ..... Pattern was steal it off him, run and bait up while he cracked it, cast it out, he'd grab it (forcefully ..) back off me, wave it around to ensure his displeasure was noted, then calm down and work with me. He got the hang (for a 20 month old) of holding the rod with one hand and winding with the other so it was a positive first experience.

I've been lazy and haven't put my rods back up out of reach under the house so each time I'm silly enough to leave the gate/door open he charges in and comes back with a rod - sometimes my 'less cheap' ones ......    Ahhh, kids!

G'day Maltby

thats' Ross Ck you're standing on - and watch out for crocs after dark. Don't be tempted to use a surf ski or kayak up near the flying fox colonies or you'll get chewed on there too!

You can score a feed there as you've found, but I rather the drive up to Fishing Creek through the resort and walk the flats there. Plenty of sand for the little fella, but keep him away from the water's edge again. Plenty of flatties, Grunter and tarpon.

If you can wander down to Kemp beach or Kinka, there are whiting there, and if you find a friend with a boat, then Corio Bay or Coorooman Ck are the go for big grunter, steelbacks, blue salmon, cod, and the odd Barra. You can score a few banana Jew in the eddies and the everpresent knot eels and flat-sided Sh*t fish ( bream) in among the mangroves. I've lost a few crabpots over the years to hungry crocs who like to crush them, but a feed is still possible.Farnborough  beach is reliable for whiting - yabbies in Barwells Ck nearby.

CQ is a great place to visit and live and I'm very jealous of you. We're now based in Brissie but still visit regularly.

Cheers,

TH

Yeah mate I just moved here work is scarce at the moment so I've started my own business, fishing is on the back burner disappointingly as that's what I moved up for partially. Ross creek was good and whiting are just a starting point for the young fella. Easy to reel in and he can hold them. I do have a boat it's 4.2m with a 30 and I'm looking to start venturing around the keppels if this wind ever dies off. I have been Fishermans creek before by myself just didn't think it was appropriate for a two and a half year old. Plenty of people leaving fish frames at the Ross Ck boat ramp it's no wonder there are crocs about, very disappointing really. Any tips or possible fishing locations out in the keppels im all ears but :)  Also looking to fish the Fitzroy when it clears up they've just released a heap of fresh into it. 

3 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

What a fantastic post to look back on in future years. Hope the work picks up but not too much so you can still have time to wet a line.

Cheers

Ray

Hopefully start picking up soon, couldn't go fishing if I wanted to at the moment it's so windy. 

20 minutes ago, Binder said:

good stuff!

Hope your living down Yeppoon way, spent 5 years in Rockhampton - and still cant believe I was so stupid as to live in that hole instead of commuting to work the 60 odd K's from Yepoon!

Rockhampton has improved a lot, they used the cyclone as a chance to start fresh. A lot of the riff raff was moved on too. I've been told the council were putting sugar through all the parks to attract ants so they couldn't hang out there don't know how true that is. Yeppoon definitely one of the better parts of the world I always feel relaxed here 

Our family tends to drag baits and lures around North Keppel for the Spaniards if you're comfortable heading over there. The close reefs out from Corio and farnborough reef have always produced enough legal reefies for our needs, but Man & Woman Is on the right winds is a good option too.

You'll get to learn what works for you. The creeks down Keppel Sands way have always held a good population of Muddies to wait for while you drift around for whiting on the banks out wider. At night, the Oaks on the northern side of the Cawarral Ck are reliable for barra.

#tip : the crocs in Cawarral and Coorooman are cheeky buggers and have been widely reported to grab the leg of your outboard and give it a shake to knock you off your feet in the hope you ( or part of you) falls over the side#

This happened to us 5 years ago and I didn't know what it was til we got up next morning to flush the motor and saw the teeth marks! We wondered what the hell was going on at the time, but were comfortably ensconced in our seats ( read 'drowsing')!

If you're chasing Macks ( who doesn't up there) Ribbon fish are the gun bait.

Cheers and tight lines,

TH

When the croc is the same size as your boat - hell yeah!

In cooroman Ck , there's one croc that just hangs around when you're fishing. Rising here and there around the boat - usually only less than 10 feet away. He grabs any fish you don't get in fast enough and any throwbacks. If the resident gulls and heron hang around they can get snapped from out of nowhere - now THAT gets your attention!

We had a pelican taken at the ramp in Coorooman once - that was enough to justify a loooong lead rope for the bow, stuff that standing in knee deep water. The problem there is that folks clean their fish at the ramp and now there's the pontoon everyone fishes off next to it.

For an eye-opener, drive down there late at night ( like midnight) and shine your highbeam down the ramp and see the pairs of yellow eyes in the water:frantics:

• 2 weeks later...
On 19 October 2016 at 7:03 AM, toohard said:

When the croc is the same size as your boat - hell yeah!

In cooroman Ck , there's one croc that just hangs around when you're fishing. Rising here and there around the boat - usually only less than 10 feet away. He grabs any fish you don't get in fast enough and any throwbacks. If the resident gulls and heron hang around they can get snapped from out of nowhere - now THAT gets your attention!

We had a pelican taken at the ramp in Coorooman once - that was enough to justify a loooong lead rope for the bow, stuff that standing in knee deep water. The problem there is that folks clean their fish at the ramp and now there's the pontoon everyone fishes off next to it.

For an eye-opener, drive down there late at night ( like midnight) and shine your highbeam down the ramp and see the pairs of yellow eyes in the water:frantics:

Hey mate do you know of any camp grounds on any of the islands around the Keppels where I could take my boat over and anchor up and camp within eyes site of it 

• 2 years later...

Bump for natang You can contact Cameron on facebook as maltby cameron. I do not think he is fishing much these days as he sold his boat to buy his first restaurant and now hasi 2 restaurants and doing very well for himself and family . Drop into one of his restaurants and say gidday he is a fantastic bloke whom i have a lot of respect for,

Cheers

Ray

1 hour ago, rayke1938 said:

Bump for natang You can contact Cameron on facebook as maltby cameron. I do not think he is fishing much these days as he sold his boat to buy his first restaurant and now hasi 2 restaurants and doing very well for himself and family . Drop into one of his restaurants and say gidday he is a fantastic bloke whom i have a lot of respect for,

Cheers

Ray

Thanks Rayke1938 I was wondering about snapping handbags. I spent 2017 in Innisfail and they were everywhere hence i bought the boat. However I am 99% of the time on my own and the boat is becoming a pain in the arse on my own being a 4.7 fibreglass cuddycabin. I think a tinny would be a lot easier to handle on my own....

On 17/01/2019 at 9:08 PM, natang said:

Thanks Rayke1938 I was wondering about snapping handbags. I spent 2017 in Innisfail and they were everywhere hence i bought the boat. However I am 99% of the time on my own and the boat is becoming a pain in the arse on my own being a 4.7 fibreglass cuddycabin. I think a tinny would be a lot easier to handle on my own....

Tinny sounds perfect. 

Archived