Whopper Yella

Dinodadog

Back in my own boat this morning, trolling, casting and jigging. Managed 71 bass and 2 yellas. When I hit the big yella I thought I was snagged, then there was a bit of movement and I thought I was bringing up a branch and up popped a nice 60cm yella. First pic was looking across the street before I left home.

Dino

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

Rather than googling, Dino can you tell me about the Yellowbelly and the shape of it... When I went out with @rayke1938 and @Binder they kindly let me take 1 home along with a few bass. After cooking them I lost track of which was which but it was all DIVINE and so tasty, I do love freshwater eating. My Dad was filleting them for me and when he did the yella there were for memory 4 melts i side the belly of it which made me tbink that's why it was so profound around the centre... But seeing all the yellas you guys have caught it appears it's just the shape of them. When you fillet one without melts or roe or whatever you actually call them what's in there? Is it fatty tissue or large organs or meat? 

Apologies if this is a completely ignorant question!!!!!

Yellabelly or golden perch or callop come from the other side of the divide, out past towoomba. They roe up in winter and spawn just before summer, so the young have a chance to survive before the next lot of cold. They are a fast growing fish reaching 40cm in sometimes under 3 years. Although they cant breed in inpoundments they still roe up and then they slowly reabsorb  the eggs, sometimes  taking up till jan or feb to do so.

Yellas are a very fatty fish, if you wish to avoid the fat, fillet then put in a salty brine and leave in the fridge for a day or so, when you remove from fridge any fat  remaining shows up very white and is easy seen and easy removed.

Some golden perch and silver perch when they grow big look out of shape, big bodies and small heads.

I dont understand the last bit of your question can you refrase it a little:1_grinning:

Dino

Archived