Fabrication Of Bow Mount Plate On Tinnie

Panther

Anyone know people or shops in Brisbane that make and weld on after market bow mount brackets/plates to aluminium boats? For Minn Kota, Watersnake, MotorGuide etc.. electric motors. 

I emailed Holt Marine as their website pictures this, but got no response. May call them later. Are there any others who provide this service in Brisbane? I would prefer a few quotes. Below is the sort of example I would prefer taken from the Internet. Needs paint though!

images.jpg

Maybe even info on any bolt on solutions that look professional? My boat is a painted hull and 2014 model so I am not looking for quick and dodgy methods. Here is the front of my stessco.

20161210_145039.jpg

Any recommendations to get an electric motor on the front of this boat would be much appreciated!

On 10/12/2016 at 5:21 PM, Cmaltby said:

Look at the haswing helmsman gps spot lock for under a grand can't go wrong 

Thanks Cmalty. I will definitely check out /research the haswing and make some comparisons.

The mount looks good too. One query... does it need to be that thickness for a haswing? Looks like the best part of 2 inches high.

On 10/12/2016 at 5:56 PM, Luc53 said:

Compass boats near the Bribie Island turn off

Cheers Luc53. I looked them up and will get in contact. A mate of mine also recommended them as well as AMM.

30 minutes ago, Doyley said:

This guy advertises on eBay.  they look the same as the one I had fitted by the boat builder.  He is on gold coast and can fit it to your boat as well

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminium-Boat-Bow-Mount-Trolling-Electric-Motor-Mount-/272484050445?nav=SEARCH

So that's where it came from. Thanks Doyley. I have plenty to go by now. 

Hi @Panther I am picking up my boat today from a guy at Eagle Farm who is doing mine for $250
I will post the results once I pick it up.

When looking with who to go with, I was quoted from $150 through to $450. I decided to run with the quote that was in the middle of the road.

A couple things worth mentioning. You wont get an accurate quote unless you take your boat to the welder as there is so much variation between hull design and they will just be shooting in the dark. Ensure the person doing it uses at least 4mm thick aluminium. Lastly make sure the welder has experience doing the bow mount weld ups, a few people I talked to were more than happy to 'give it a crack' which isnt what you want for your pride and joy and the job is more complex than it first appears.

13 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

@Panther that's not solid. It's right angle aluminium three pieces welded together. It's very light. Doesn't need to be I also needed the raising so the motor sits above the bow rails. Was a very difficult fit on a runabout with the windscreen opening bow rails to contend with 

Ah I see. Makes sense.

1 hour ago, sax said:

Hi @Panther I am picking up my boat today from a guy at Eagle Farm who is doing mine for $250
I will post the results once I pick it up.

When looking with who to go with, I was quoted from $150 through to $450. I decided to run with the quote that was in the middle of the road.

A couple things worth mentioning. You wont get an accurate quote unless you take your boat to the welder as there is so much variation between hull design and they will just be shooting in the dark. Ensure the person doing it uses at least 4mm thick aluminium. Lastly make sure the welder has experience doing the bow mount weld ups, a few people I talked to were more than happy to 'give it a crack' which isnt what you want for your pride and joy and the job is more complex than it first appears.

Thanks sax that would be awesome. 

3 hours ago, sax said:

@Panther My boat wasn't ready for pickup yesterday.Hopefully it will be ready today.

Don't you love it when people take on jobs with no real intention of completing the work in the time-frame indicated! Hopefully he is just being extra meticulous in doing the work!

Yeah @sax I want the same when it comes to my prized toys. Rather spend & wait a bit more for professional work & service. 

Still let me know how it turns out. 

Hi @Drop Bear @Panther

Sorry about the slow reply. 

The boat got picked up late Friday. I am really happy with it now.... I was not 100% happy initially.

It was solid but the welds were rough/chunky. I wish I had taken a 'before' photo.

What you see is after it is all cleaned up. I took to it with a flap disc and made it all look neat, ensured there were no sharp edges and made all the surface look uniform. Now it looks good.

For $250 I am happy but it would have been nice to be perfect off the bat.

I should add, I did push the guy to finish it on a Friday afternoon so maybe it got rushed.

IMG_0753.JPG

@Panther a mate of mine put me onto this bloke when i was looking to put a floor and leccy mount on my old mans tinny. He was super knowledgeable and if i was to ever pay to get work done I would be talking to him!! www.profishboats.com 

For quoting purposes you could make a template of the area of the bow you are wanting to mount the plate to, or make it easy and mount it on the flat surface and then its just as simple as working the angles out! 

Be hard pushed this time of year to get something done by a company but never know!! 

Cheers
Dan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 10/12/2016 at 3:01 PM, Panther said:

Anyone know people or shops in Brisbane that make and weld on after market bow mount brackets/plates to aluminium boats? For Minn Kota, Watersnake, MotorGuide etc.. electric motors. 

I emailed Holt Marine as their website pictures this, but got no response. May call them later. Are there any others who provide this service in Brisbane? I would prefer a few quotes. Below is the sort of example I would prefer taken from the Internet. Needs paint though!

images.jpg

Maybe even info on any bolt on solutions that look professional? My boat is a painted hull and 2014 model so I am not looking for quick and dodgy methods. Here is the front of my stessco.

20161210_145039.jpg

Any recommendations to get an electric motor on the front of this boat would be much appreciated!

Can you let me know where you got your bow mount done please?

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, hawaiian01 said:

looks great. i have just purchased the same mount and will get it fitted in the next week or so. i have been told that the steering may be effected  by wind, fast current with the motor being mounted away from the centre line of the boat. what are your thoughts?

tia

Do you mean the electric motors steering ability or the whole boat when driving with the additional weight of the motor mounted?