Seq Fishing

Atlas_Aus

Howdy all,

Newbie here ! 

I like to think I type much better then I fish... My wife and I have just found ourselves in Tugun at the southern end of the Gold Coast and there seems to be a lot of places to cast a line... We have tried on and off for the last 6 weeks or so without much success, and only one pan sized Bream to show for our efforts...

Don't mind the lack of fish as to the lack of bites... First to admit we know bugger all when it comes to fishing, and what my wife knows comes from Thailand ! 

Have been using prawns, squid, pippies and worms with the most action coming from the squid it seems... We have a couple of cheap rod and reel kits from Kmart and some kit... Nothing flash. 

Any tips of some books or other things that could help us would be great.

TIA.  

Mate during holiday season a few bream among the crowds is not such a terrible effort!

If you can get yourself a yabby pump, or find a store that sells live worms. Try these in a quiter place (as quiet as possible anway). For example currumbin creek, tallabudgera creek. Might score some whiting this way. 

Angus

check these links out, there`s bound to be spots that will suit.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=places and tips for catching fish on the gold coast

As Angus has said it`s a very busy area at the moment with the school holidays on, fish earlier in the day or evening or later at night when the holiday anglers and boaties are not around in numbers.

20 hours ago, Atlas_Aus said:

Any tips of some books or other things that could help us would be great.

Gday Atlas,

A pretty consistant way to catch bream down that way is by using very small hooks #8 short shank. I buy a loaf of cheap white bread and burley slowly with the current. When you see some bream turn up put a very small ball of bread, the soft middle bit, squished onto the hook. Less is more. Watch the bread and when it disappears lift the rod. Really fun sight fishing. The bream will go quiet for a while but will come back in time. Another thing people over look are butter Bream. I find them the sweetest fish in the estuary and with a little hunting you will find some great spots for them. If you or your wife know some thai recepies for whole fish you will love them i guarantee.

Have fun

Robbie

7 hours ago, Atlas_Aus said:

How about lures ?

Soft plastics work really well. The trick for was to get confidence using them and be much slower and gentler in retrieve. 

7 hours ago, Atlas_Aus said:

Also, I read sometimes you need to keep the weight down with your sinker, but how do you get a decent cast without weight ? 

Thats tricky as you are right, its normally easier to cast a heavier weight. But most of the fish are close to the banks. While sometimes they will be in the middle of the river they normally hang around structure like rock banks or posts. Letting an unweighted bait drift back with the current from a jetty is a great way to fish and requires no cast at all. If you wanted to get more serious and spend more cash the light weight rods and reels with light line cast light baits and lures much further than heavy rigs and heavy line. At the end of the day though just spending a lot of time on the water and  asking questions will get you more fish. 

Have fun and post me a photo of a delicious butter bream dinner :) (and recipe please if you can?)

9 hours ago, Atlas_Aus said:

Thanks Guys.

Will keep at it.

How about lures ?

Also, I read sometimes you need to keep the weight down with your sinker, but how do you get a decent cast without weight ? 

It all comes to down gear as well. Clunky fibre glass rods will struggle but light carbon fibre/graphite rods can send a pea sinker (or light plastic) flying if you know how to cast.

Angus

Archived