Fish Vs Prawns Vs Squid For Bait

JCROBBER

Hi I'm planning to do fishing soon so for my bait what should I use because I usually use prawns but they always fall off and fish I've used once before but didn't get a nibble but I went to bad fishing spot and all I caught was an old boot literally and I've never used squid so which is best

Where are you and what are you fishing for.

Without being patronizing these questions are tough as it is kind of like asking what ball you need without clarifying the sport.

On top of bait there are many other considerations to catching fish. You could have "the perfect bait" but be in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong gear.

These questions are big cans of worms (no bait pun intended) but to more you narrow down and refine your questions combined with research into other reports the more help the community can be :)

Welcome to the site.

Angus

Prawns shouldn't fall off if they are secured on the hook properly. Look up and practice a bit with the correct way to hook certain baits.

Quality bait and presentation is the key to bait fishing. In essence you want the bait to look, smell and behave as natural as possible. Generally all of the baits you mention will successfully catch most fish, just as @Angus said, depending on what  you're fishing for will depend on what baits and how you present them.

11 hours ago, JCROBBER said:

By the way my brothers targeting bream flathead and trevally and bigger fish for myself and I live in Brighton so I'm planning to go to shorncliffe pier

Hey mate,

If I was going to Shorncliffe Pier I would use mullet cubes or strips. Don't stand on the pier and cast away from it, there are more fish under it so cast under the pier instead :1310_thumbsup_tone1::fishing2: 

• 4 weeks later...
On 20 January 2017 at 7:12 PM, Madmic said:

Hey mate,

If I was going to Shorncliffe Pier I would use mullet cubes or strips. Don't stand on the pier and cast away from it, there are more fish under it so cast under the pier instead :1310_thumbsup_tone1::fishing2: 

Last week I went fishing of the pier and I used salted mullet and I caught a bream but something hooked onto my brothers line and it got away but it was big

On 2/12/2017 at 7:12 AM, JCROBBER said:

Last week I went fishing of the pier and I used salted mullet and I caught a bream but something hooked onto my brothers line and it got away but it was big

Nice. If you find a fish market that sells fresh mullet fillets cheap these can be a good bet. I havent had much luck with frozen servo squid and prawns. 

• 1 month later...

Archived