Current ? How To Work Out The Direction

InternFisho

This may seem trivial to some, but i just need to clarify a few basics.

Main base of Operations:  Hawkesbury - Pittwater

Where is the water pushing and what effects it?     
Do run in and run out tides    or  Wind direction affect the currents more. 

***  My main goal of this Post is to find areas out of the current where typical predators may linger. 

For example 1. run in tides, so water is running into the system, does this make a current.

2.   easterly wind direction, does this push the water and form currents in that direction. 

Thanks in advance boys

The current is the tide; a gravitational force exerted by the moon and the sun and the rotation of the Earth. Wind has very little to do with the way water runs. Strong winds obviously push the waters surface in a certain direction but the tide is still moving below.

You might have heard the term “no run no fun”. This is very applicable for many fish species. A strong current (created by a large tide i.e full/new moon) means small baitfish/prawns etc can be more easily preyed upon by larger fish. For example, the stronger current can create swirls and eddies in a river where baitfish will congregate to get out of the current. Obviously these types of areas are a great spot to fish. Behind a log or bridge pilon for example is another place this will occur. Along with that, strong tides are an ample opportunity for predators to round up bait and push them into the current. Easy pickings. I know from personal experience chasing tuna and mackerel in the bay as soon as the tide slows the bait fish become more scattered and the feeding frenzies are more brief due to the fish not being able to hold the bait in one spot as easily.

Some people swear on the change of tide as being a good bite time but I am still learning more about this. @Luvit may have some input because when I fish with him apparently “we have to be at the spot for change of tide” haha. I guess with the change of tide direction it creates a bit of this swirling effect and therefore a bit of mayhem. Anyway, food for thought :) 

While I'm still busy and not on the forum as much I will miss a few posts, so sorry for the late reply. Everyone has covered the 'current' question for you. In my own experience 1 hr either side of tide changes are peak fish feeding times. If they line up with a dawn or dust your chances increase a bit more again. You can still catch fish out side these times but I find them the best times to target fish especially when bait fishing. This may have something to do with the less energy for the fish to expend to search for food, rather than fight the current. In saying that game fish are also influences greatly by the tides.

I was watching Paul Worsteling from IFISH the other day and he even believes that the tide changes even influences fresh water fish! Just because there is no tidal movement in a inland water way it doesn't mean a fish can not feel the effects of the change of tide. Something else to think about.

Good luck

On 20 January 2017 at 4:20 PM, samsteele115 said:

The current is the tide; a gravitational force exerted by the moon and the sun and the rotation of the Earth. Wind has very little to do with the way water runs. Strong winds obviously push the waters surface in a certain direction but the tide is still moving below.

You might have heard the term “no run no fun”. This is very applicable for many fish species. A strong current (created by a large tide i.e full/new moon) means small baitfish/prawns etc can be more easily preyed upon by larger fish. For example, the stronger current can create swirls and eddies in a river where baitfish will congregate to get out of the current. Obviously these types of areas are a great spot to fish. Behind a log or bridge pilon for example is another place this will occur. Along with that, strong tides are an ample opportunity for predators to round up bait and push them into the current. Easy pickings. I know from personal experience chasing tuna and mackerel in the bay as soon as the tide slows the bait fish become more scattered and the feeding frenzies are more brief due to the fish not being able to hold the bait in one spot as easily.

Some people swear on the change of tide as being a good bite time but I am still learning more about this. @Luvit may have some input because when I fish with him apparently “we have to be at the spot for change of tide” haha. I guess with the change of tide direction it creates a bit of this swirling effect and therefore a bit of mayhem. Anyway, food for thought :) 

The hour before and after the tide are the best times for fishing by far and if you can get them two at sunrise or sunset you're looking better and a full moon as well, then you can't go wrong 

Archived