Fishing Trip To Harrietville/ Ovens River

BradZ

Hey fellas, me and a few others are heading down to Harrietville over Aus day for a bit of fishing and camping so I'm chasing some local knowledge.

Luckily I know someone who used to live there for years so I know a little bit, but things could have changed since then.

I've been informed my chances of catching a cod are extremely slim however trout and yellas are a possibility. I've also learnt the river may be very low this time of year, will this significantly hurt anything?

What lures have people had success with while chasing trout? I've got some tassie devils and a small spinner/ bottlecap lure I think its called. Any advice would be great. 

Think im sticking to worms for live bait but im open to suggestions. I've been told to check out the 'dredge hole' but other than that we're playing it by ear.

Cheers guys

Hey mate, I get onto the Trout usually once a year. In NSW, not in Victoria. I don't know the Ovens River. If you're a novice at Trout my best advice would be to get a couple of (I call them) inline spinners, such as the old Celta brand of lure. These have one treble at the back, with a wire body usually with steel or plastic beads, and a single spinning blade near the front that rotates around the wire body. They are a very old style of lure, tried and tested, and still very reliable on Brown and Rainbow Trout. They also work fine on other natives such as Bass. You can get varying quality ones - there are some cheap and nasties where the blade doesn't spin as fast or only spins at high speeds. Blue Fox are my favourite - excellent quality inline spinners IMO. Mepps make good ones too. Get some various weighted ones. A size 1 and a size 2 would be a good start, and maybe a size 0 (smaller). The other good thing about inline spinners is they're cheap. Enough on spinners. Hard body (bibbed) lures work on Trout also (Rapala make some of the most famous Trout lures), as do soft plastics and blades. Bait... I wouldn't use bait to catch Trout, and in many places it's prohibited. Always try to move upstream as you fish (relevant in faster running water), because the Trout face upstream and you'll spook them otherwise. Watch the water closely and use polarised sunnies to see through the water.

Good luck.

- Steve.        

Thanks very much for the help! The style of spinning lure you described sounds exactly like what I have, I might grab a couple more. It wasnt cheap, its nice and heavy and spins nice and quickly. I think i bought it to chase trout in the high country last year now that i think about it.

I have plenty of small bibless hard bodies aswell, didnt know fishing for them with bait was prohibited, ill keep that in mind. The bait is more for the yellas.

So flick lures upstream and drag them downwards?

Thanks for the help!

On 24/01/2017 at 7:49 AM, Angus said:

I like little curl tail plastics for trout as well. And in deeper open water micro jigs work a treat. I have also not fished where you are going and my experience is limited mainly to nz but trout are trout :)

Looking forward to.hearing how you go.

I think i spotted a few of those in the shop yesterday, I might grab a couple before i leave. I'm reasonably stocked on trout lures now, pretty cheap compared to good hard bodies for big fish!

Thanks for the advice guys, fingers crossed i get a couple!

On 1/24/2017 at 6:32 AM, BradZ said:

Thanks very much for the help! The style of spinning lure you described sounds exactly like what I have, I might grab a couple more. It wasnt cheap, its nice and heavy and spins nice and quickly. I think i bought it to chase trout in the high country last year now that i think about it.

I have plenty of small bibless hard bodies aswell, didnt know fishing for them with bait was prohibited, ill keep that in mind. The bait is more for the yellas.

So flick lures upstream and drag them downwards?

Thanks for the help!

Yeah face (and move) upstream, flick them upstream and drag them down. The Trout will see the lure coming towards him as he lies in wait, and he's less likely to be aware of you because you're behind him. Also because if you're wading through the water the sand, mud and noise will not be carried past the fish, warning them of your presence. In flowing streams the Trout will almost always be facing upstream so they can see food being carried down towards them, and so they can hold easily in the current without having to 'paddle' backwards. 

Oh also, about the bait - it's not necessarily prohibited to use, just in some popular and regulated Trout waters. If so there may be signs at the bridges or parks (access areas), or you may need to Google the waterway to find out. I think I've heard a bit about Trout fishing in the Ovens River, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a regulated no-bait zone, but I'd check. Otherwise it's no problem to use bait, I just don't like using it on Trout cos it's not as fun or challenging.  

Archived