Aus Day Smoking

benno573

So as previously mentioned, decided to fire up the smoker on Aus day. Had to forego the scallops as I had a guest with a severe seafood allergy so the scallops are in the freezer for next time.

bought a leg of pork, boned it out and ended up with 4 chunks each about 1kg in weight. They were covered in a spice rub of salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Cajun spice and chilli flakes and left in the fridge overnight. Result belowimage.jpg

i also had a piece of wagyu brisket in the freezer which needed to be eaten so I let it sit on the bench until it reached room temp, seasoned well with salt and black pepper. I didn't want to do a lot with other flavours with this one, kind of let the wagyu flavour do the talkingimage.jpg

into the smoker they went with some well soaked black wattle chips and a smattering of Apple wood chips for 4.5hrs at about 100 degrees.image.jpg

after 4.5 hours, removed, wrapped in foil and let rest in a 50 degree oven for another 1.5 hours. Used the 1.5 hrs to throw 3kg of drumsticks (that had been brined overnight in a fairly standard brine with a dash of soy sauce added) into the smoker which I neglected to photograph as that would have required me to put my beer down.

owing to the reasons detailed above I don't currently have available the "after" shots, I'll take some tonight if I remember. Needless to say the pork was spicy, smokey and oh-so tender and the brisket was melt-in-your mouth and just the right amount of smoke flavour. 

Bugger bacon for breakfast tomorrow... Smoked brisket and eggs with some home made hollandaise sounds about right. ;)

cheers for reading.

benno

• 1 year later...
On 27/01/2017 at 12:40 PM, benno573 said:

So as previously mentioned, decided to fire up the smoker on Aus day. Had to forego the scallops as I had a guest with a severe seafood allergy so the scallops are in the freezer for next time.

bought a leg of pork, boned it out and ended up with 4 chunks each about 1kg in weight. They were covered in a spice rub of salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Cajun spice and chilli flakes and left in the fridge overnight. Result belowimage.jpg

i also had a piece of wagyu brisket in the freezer which needed to be eaten so I let it sit on the bench until it reached room temp, seasoned well with salt and black pepper. I didn't want to do a lot with other flavours with this one, kind of let the wagyu flavour do the talkingimage.jpg

into the smoker they went with some well soaked black wattle chips and a smattering of Apple wood chips for 4.5hrs at about 100 degrees.image.jpg

after 4.5 hours, removed, wrapped in foil and let rest in a 50 degree oven for another 1.5 hours. Used the 1.5 hrs to throw 3kg of drumsticks (that had been brined overnight in a fairly standard brine with a dash of soy sauce added) into the smoker which I neglected to photograph as that would have required me to put my beer down.

owing to the reasons detailed above I don't currently have available the "after" shots, I'll take some tonight if I remember. Needless to say the pork was spicy, smokey and oh-so tender and the brisket was melt-in-your mouth and just the right amount of smoke flavour. 

Bugger bacon for breakfast tomorrow... Smoked brisket and eggs with some home made hollandaise sounds about right. ;)

cheers for reading.

benno

Yum! Thanks for bumping that one Benno

Archived