Nrl 2017

Gad

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

being totally neutral in the cheering stakes last night, it`s left me with a sort of flat post GF feeling, so used to cheering against the Sydney/NSW based clubs.:lol:

having played 3 straight sudden death, GF like games, to get to the GF the Storm was too much of an ask for the energy levels for the Cowboys. Realisticaly the Storm would have beaten any opposition team  last night :)

That's season 2017 over and dusted

World Cup starts October 27 and kicks off in Melbourne.

Who will be the 1st DH to get suspended in off season 2017??

Storm were so good all year and with so many Qlders in the side it wasn't so bad to lose to them. Injury toll for the Cowboys finally totally took its toll on the boys. So many playing with injuries and needles to keep them going. Storm as normal were clinical and how amazing is to with Smith combine with Cronk and Slater to score tries.. Will we ever really see another combination like that again????? Qld can hold its head up high that it has dominated the finals for a few years now! 

20 hours ago, ellicat said:

Adam Blair perhaps ?

Blair?, yeah, I suppose he could be ranked an out the box selection.:)

I was thinking along the lines of Ferguson, Dugan, SKD, Pearce, their all overdue for relapses and big nights out and let`s not discount Foran he`ll be back in town.

So many to choose from and only 5 months of off/pre season to go. :lol:

55 minutes ago, Gad said:

Blair?, yeah, I suppose he could be ranked an out the box selection.:)

I was thinking along the lines of Ferguson, Dugan, SKD, Pearce, their all overdue for relapses and big nights out and let`s not discount Foran he`ll be back in town.

So many to choose from and only 5 months of off/pre season to go. :lol:

Some pretty strong contenders there @Gad.  I reckon Blair is more likely to offend on the field than off it.  He was pretty good for the Broncos for a while but it seemed like as soon as he signed with the Warriors he adopted the hero or zero mentality that seems to unfortunately dominate that club's culture. I would love to see the Warriors become more consistent - even if it is only for my tipping......

7 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Some pretty strong contenders there @Gad.  I reckon Blair is more likely to offend on the field than off it.  He was pretty good for the Broncos for a while but it seemed like as soon as he signed with the Warriors he adopted the hero or zero mentality that seems to unfortunately dominate that club's culture. I would love to see the Warriors become more consistent - even if it is only for my tipping......

he has turned into a bit of an enigma, with his on and off performances, I thought he was going to attain or surpass the form he had with the Storm, when he came to the Broncos. He`s at the age all good forwards should be reaping the rewards of previous seasons experience and committed hard work. Oh well, I suppose in one way he has, the Warriors appear to have a much more relaxed culture on and off the field :P, and their fans turn up no matter how they go.:)

21 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I never understand the Warriors. They are on paper an amazing team but they never seem to get it together as a team. Maybe there is too many "I's" in team in the club. They are basically the NZ rugby league side but they can't play together. Been the same since Stacey Jones left them seasons ago. 

2017 RLWC OCT 27 to DEC 2

OK, won`t start new thread for RLWC series…. The RLWC series does not start for another 3 weeks but as there has been some interesting (?)/amusing (?) developments involving the Aussie and Kiwi teams, I`ll kick it off now.

Seven network will broadcast live all 28 RLWC matches and will also broadcast live all 12 matches of the Women`s RLWC.

2017 Rugby League World Cup 

Fri. 27 Oct. – Sat. 2 Dec

RLWC Draw:  http://www.nrl.com/2017-rugby-league-world-cup-draw/tabid/10874/newsid/99319/default.aspx

Pool A: Australia, England, France, Lebanon 
Pool B: New Zealand, Samoa, Scotland, Tonga 
Pool C: Papua New Guinea,  European Qualifier 1, European Qualifier 2 
Pool D: Fiji, USA, European Qualifier 3 

Women`s Rugby League World Cup     Thurs 16 Nov. – Sat. 2 Dec

draw:  http://www.sharks.com.au/news/2016/11/28/women_s_rugby_league.html

Pool A: Australia, England, Cook Islands.

Pool B: New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Canada

KANGAROOS 24-MAN WORLD CUP SQUAD

original squad named Tues 3 Oct.

BACKS: Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Will Chambers, Dane Gagai, Tom Trbojevic, Josh Dugan, Valentine Holmes, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Munster, Michael Morgan, James Maloney

FORWARDS: Aaron Woods, David Klemmer, Josh McGuire, Andrew Fifita, Jake Trbojevic, Jordan McLean, Boyd Cordner, Matt Gillett, Tyson Frizell, Wade Graham, Felise Kaufusi, Cameron Smith, Ben Hunt

Update: Darius Boyd ruled out with hamstring injury, Fifita withdraws to play for Tonga.

Penrith prop Reagen Gillard-Campbell and winger Josh Mansour now included in squad

Edit: Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga named a revamped World Cup line-up that will see six debutants and seven Storm players included in the 24-man squad.

http://www.nrl.com/meninga-unveils-versatile-new-look-roos/tabid/10874/newsid/112707/default.aspx

ADDED:

Jillaroos World Cup Squad

Kezie Apps * – Helensburgh (NSW)  Chelsea Baker * – Wallabies Gladstone (QLD)
Heather Ballinger – Wests Panthers (QLD)  Annette Brander * – Beerwah Bulldogs (QLD)
Brittany Breayley * – Brothers Ipswich (QLD)  Sam Bremner – Helensburgh (NSW)
Ali Brigginshaw – Brothers Ipswich (QLD)  Karina Brown – Easts Tigers (QLD)
Nakia Davis-Welsh * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)  Vanessa Foliaki * – Easts Tigers (NSW)
Steph Hancock – Easts Tigers (QLD)  Isabelle Kelly * – North Newcastle (NSW)  Renae Kunst – Wests Panthers (QLD)  Corban McGregor * – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)  Caitlin Moran * – North Newcastle (NSW)  Lavina O’Mealey * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)  Talesha Quinn * – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)  Ruan Sims – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)  Maddie Studdon * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)  Zahara Temara * – Burleigh Bears (QLD)  Simaima Taufa * – Mounties (NSW)  Elianna Walton – Greenacre (NSW)  Meg Ward * – Northern Territory (NT)  Rebecca Young * – North Newcastle (NSW)
* Denotes World Cup debutant

New Zealand squad: Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Gerard Beale, Adam Blair, Kenneth Bromwich, Addin Fonua-Blake, Peta Hiku, Shaun Johnson, Thomas Leuluai, Danny Levi, Isaac Liu, Simon Mannering, Te Maire Martin, Jason Nightingale, Kodi Nikorima, Russell Packer, Jordan Rapana, Brad Takairangi, Joseph Tapine, Martin Taupau, Elijah Taylor, Roger Tuivasa Sheck, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Dean Whare. 

Kiwi`s have lost a few big names for RLWC

Jason Taumalolo officially turned down the Kiwi`s so he could play for Tonga, ex-Kiwis teammates Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor (who would both be certainties for the Kiwi`s), banned from the RLWC side having been involved in drugs possession/use after the Anzac Day Test. Tahu Harris ruled out with foot and shoulder injuries, five-eighth Kieran Foran is out with injury and hooker Issac Luke dumped

Between Taumalolo, Harris, Bromwich, Proctor and dumped Issac Luke, the Kiwis' have lost more than 100 Test caps worth of experience.

David Fusitu'a, Sio Siua Taukeiaho and Manu Ma'u also made themselves unavailable for the Kiwi`s to play for Tonga

Tongan squad is starting to look fairly impressive…

Tonga squad: Andrew Fifita, Mahe Fonua, David Fusitu'a, Siliva Havilli, Ata Hingano, Will Hopoate, Konrad Hurrell, Michael Jennings, Solomone Kata, Sione Katoa, Samisoni Langi, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sika Manu, Manu Ma'u, Sam Moa, Ben Murdoch Masila, Joe Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai jnr, Ukuma Ta'ai, Sio Siua Taukieaho, Jason Taumalolo, Peni Terepo, Daniel Tupou, Manu Vatuvei

Samoa squad

Frank Pritchard (captain)  Bunty Afoa  Leeson Ah Mau  Faámanu Brown  Herman Ese’ese
Pita Godinet  Tim Lafai  Joey Leilua  Ricky Leutele  Sam Lisone  Jarome Luai
Suaia Matagi  Peter Mata’utia  Ken Maumalo  Zane Musgrave   Josh Papalii
Joseph Paulo  Junior Paulo  Ben Roberts  Sam Tagataese  Jazz Tevaga   Young Tonumaipea  Frank Winterstein  Matthew Wright

Tim Lafai and Frank Winterstein called into the squad after two unexpected changes, with Sione Mata’utia and Tautau Moga withdrawing due to injury.

Fiji squad

Kane Evans, Salesi Faingaa, Jarryd Hayne, Tui Kamikamica, Villiame Kikau, Apisai Koroisau, Joe Lovadua, Henry Raiwalui, Taane Milne, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Marcelo Montoya, Kevin Naiqama (c), Ben Nakubuwai, Mikaele Ravalawa, Junior Roqica, Jacob Saifiti, Ashton Sims, Korbin Sims, Pio Seci, James Storer, Akuila Uate, Eloni Vunakece, Suliasi Vunivalu, Brayden Wiliame (Standby Replacement: Etuate Bola)

ADDED Jillaroos squad to the KANGAROOS 24-MAN WORLD CUP SQUAD post above.

It is good for the game for those Pacific Islanders to play for there heritage countries instead of just playing for Australia and New Zealand. Should be a good tournament because of the spread. Cheering on PNG and Tonga I am Australian but I would love to see a smaller Island do really well and I think Tonga and PNG have good squads. 

England SQUAD: John Bateman (Wigan), Kevin Brown (Warrington), Sam Burgess, Thomas Burgess (both South Sydney), Ben Currie (Warrington), Luke Gale (Castleford), James Graham (St George), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Chris Heighington (Cronulla), Chris Hill (Warrington), Josh Hodgson (Canberra), Jonny Lomax (St Helens), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield), Mike McMeeken (Castleford), Sean O’Loughlin (Wigan, captain), Mark Percival (St Helens), Stefan Ratchford (Warrington), James Roby (St Helens), Scott Taylor (Hull FC), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Kallum Watkins (Leeds), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra), Gareth Widdop (St George), George Williams (Wigan).

George Burgess and Sam Tomkins omitted along with Zac Hardaker who failed a drug testing

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:32 PM, Gad said:

Seven network will broadcast live all RLWC matches....  2017 Rugby League World Cup...  Fri. 27 Oct. – Sat. 2 Dec

Kicks off this Friday night

Kangaroos name three rookies against England for Fridays World Cup opener

http://www.nrl.com/kangaroos-name-three-rookies-for-england/tabid/10874/newsid/113993/default.aspx

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has made six changes to the team that thrashed New Zealand 30-12 in their most recent outing in May at Canberra.

South Sydney-bound back Dane Gagai, Storm premiership winner Jordan McLean and Sharks enforcer Wade Graham will be handed their maiden Kangaroos jerseys.

The Kangaroos had to name a 21-man squad on Tuesday but it will be reduced to 17 an hour before kick-off.

Australian team to face England
1 Billy Slater   2 Dane Gagai   3 Will Chambers   4 Josh Dugan   5 Valentine Holmes   6 Michael Morgan   7 Cooper Cronk   8 Aaron Woods   9 Cameron Smith (c)   10 David Klemmer   11 Boyd Cordner (vc)  

12 Matt Gillett   13 Jake Trbojevic       Interchange:    14 Wade Graham   15 Jordan McLean   16 Josh McGuire   17 Tyson Frizell

standbys:18 Reagan Campbell-Gillard   19 Ben Hunt   20 Tom Trbojevic   21 Felise Kaufusi 

NOTE  Times given below are NSW & VIC AEDT for real QLDER kick off times check local TV guides

Friday, October 27

Australia v England at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, Melbourne, 8pm (AEDT)

Live on Channel 7 in: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane.

and

Live on 7mate in: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth.

Saturday, October 28

Papua New Guinea v Wales at Oil Search National Football Stadium, Port Moresby, 4pm (AEDT)

Live on 7mate in: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

New Zealand v Samoa at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, 6.10pm (AEDT)

Fiji v USA at Townsville Stadium, Townsville, 8.40pm (AEDT)

Sunday, October 29

Ireland v Italy at Barlow Park, Cairns, 3pm (AEDT)

France v Lebanon at Canberra Stadium, Canberra, 4pm (AEDT)

Delayed broadcast on 7mate in Sydney (12am AEDT Monday), Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

Scotland v Tonga at Barlow Park, Cairns, 5.15pm (AEDT)

Aus 18  v  Poms 4  :ausflag:

Good hard fought game. Final score line does not do the Poms defensive effort justice.

Obviously both sides were a little off  (yes it was the first game of the series) due to a couple of new combinations and lack of hard lead in games. (did`t Gagai have a great debut)  Dugan/Holmes defensive combination a concern, both individually can be regularly caught out, together they`re not reading the other at times, may be that will come playing against lesser sides in the series. 

Not a big fan of Klemmer`s, but 190 run metres well done.

Interest now lies in what the Kiwi`s can/can`t do when they come up against Aus & the Poms.

Kiwi`s  38  v  Samoa  8

Hard to tell where the Kiwi`s are at, with Samoa giving penaltys away and spending a lot of the game picking up dropped balls.

The only time Samoa looked dangerous was in their pre-kick off war chant… just! 

next game tonight Fiji v USA, I expect Hayne`s to have a good game.... he`ll rediscover he can run :P

Once again I come back to the refs, if its a big game state of origan or country against country, they throw the rule book out the window, they say people like to see a fast moving game but what message does this send to junior players, they try it next time they play and get pinged for it. Classic example has been Aussie refs hardly any penalties, Pomie ref plenty of penalties in the first 20 mins. I reakon the better game is when its reffed properly.

Dino

Archived