Nrl 2017

Gad

Ok, let`s see if one can explain the finals format

Over the next three weeks the top eight teams get cut down to two for the grand final in the fourth week.

Week 1
The eight teams  go into two groups of four. The top four (1-4) and the bottom four (5-8), play games among themselves in the first week of finals.

In the top four, 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 in qualifying finals. The higher-placed teams, first and second, host these finals as home games.

This finals format advantages the teams in the top four as they cannot be eliminated if they lose in the first week.

The winners of 1st and 2nd Qualifiying finals go through to week three  and then host a home game preliminary final.

The losers of the qualifying finals play again in the second week and, if they survive that may have to travel away from home to play in the third week.

Week 1 of finals

Top Four of eight:

First Qualifying Final: 1 hosts 4
Second Qualifying Final: 2 hosts 3

Winners above go to week 3

Losers of QF`s play in week 2

Bottom four of top eight:

The bottom four, 5 plays 8 and 6 plays 7 play the elimination finals. Again, the higher-placed teams, fifth and sixth, host these finals as home games.

The loser of these finals  eliminated from the finals series. The winners go on to play the losers of the qualifying finals in semi-finals in the second week.

First Elimination Final: 5 hosts 8
Second Elimination Final: 6 hosts 7

After week 1, six teams are left

Week 2

In the second week, two semi-finals are played between the two teams that lost the qualifying finals and the two teams that won the elimination finals.

The teams that lose in week two of the semi-finals are eliminated. The teams that win go on to face week one qualifying final winners in week three preliminary finals

The losing qualifying final teams host these matches as home games.

First Semi-final: loser 1st QF hosts winner 1st EF
Second Semi-final: loser 2nd QF hosts winner of 2nd EF

After week 2, four teams are left. 

Week 3

The winner of the first qualifying final plays the winner of the second semi-final, and the winner of the second qualifying final plays the winner of the first semi-final. This guarantees that it is not possible for any two teams to meet twice in the first three weeks of finals.

The qualifying final winners get the week two bye, and also get to host the PF`s as home games, giving them a huge advantage.

First Preliminary Final: winner 1st QF hosts winner  2nd SF
Second Preliminary Final: winner 2nd QF hosts winner 1st SF

After week 3, two teams are into the Grand Final

at this point the Storm should be drooling and licking their lips….

Week 4

Grand Final

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of the later half 2017 NRL`s not well kept in house stories confirmed today

1/ The Bunnies and Maguire have amicably :lol: agreed to go different ways as of today.

2/  James Graham leaves the Kennel due to salary cap stress and will line up to add his well known bite to the Dragons arsenal for 2018+ 

Only time will show if Moylan and Griffin will  purrr contentedly together after 2017, signs appear to say highly unlikely.

FINALS WEEK ONE

(Team number) = Top 8 finish position

2nd QUALIFYING FINAL - 7.55pm Friday at Allianz Stadium

ROOSTERS (2) V BRONCOS (3)

1st QUALIFYING FINAL - 4.10pm Saturday at AAMI Park

STORM (1) V EELS (4)

2nd ELIMINATION FINAL - 7.40pm Saturday at Allianz Stadium

SEA EAGLES (6) V PANTHERS (7)

1st ELIMINATION FINAL - 4.10pm Sunday at Allianz Stadium

SHARKS (5) V COWBOYS (8)

1 hour ago, Gad said:

`m hoping for a Bennett late change of fullback for Friday night :lol: and a small dog show parade during the Rooters warm up :whistle:

I am picturing one of those French poodles in a snug fitting roosters jersey being released onto the field - reminiscent of the Botham pig at the Gabba. As the camera zooms in on its freshly shaved midriff area it exposes a tattoo saying  "Pearce me Mitchell!" With an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction..........

Go the Broncos!

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I am picturing one of those French poodles in a snug fitting roosters jersey being released onto the field - reminiscent of the Botham pig at the Gabba. As the camera zooms in on its freshly shaved midriff area it exposes a tattoo saying  "Pearce me Mitchell!" With an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction..........

Go the Broncos!

You have a 'vivid' imagination Steve ...... :) 

The Bunnies 2017 assistant coach Anthony Seibold has been appointed the Bunnies 2018+? coach. Another up and coming coach out of Belamy`s coaching school.

I`m mildly curious to see/hear the gladiators` reaction/thoughts on this weeks sacking and the new appointment, also his thoughts on the retention of 3 Burgess`s  or not retaining of 2 of them

On 9/6/2017 at 3:27 PM, Gad said:

I`m hoping for a Bennett late change of fullback for Friday night :lol: and a small dog show parade during the Rooters warm up :whistle:

tonights game`s Bronco`s team changes; Jordan Kahu to fullback.  Kodi Nikorima from fullback to bench utilty.  David Mead from bench utility to Kahu`s wing spot.  :)

Mead will play outside Roberts, any weakness (if any) due to  Kahu`s move from that wing should be minimal. Nikorima as bench utility much better verstility option than Benji.

Plucked chooks tonight??? :devil:

Friday result

2nd QUALIFYING FINAL

ROOSTERS 24  V  22 BRONCOS

Chooks still have their feathers ( again just?). The Broncos, allowing in those easy 1st half Rooster`s trys, coupled with that many missed tackles and dropped ball, and with that attitude, just about on the knackers truck.

Neither team on tonight`s performances would have the Storm worried if they met further along in the finals, prelim or GF.

On the bright side, at this moment, there are still 2 Qld teams in the finals :lol:

19 hours ago, Gad said:

tonights game`s Bronco`s team changes; Jordan Kahu to fullback.  Kodi Nikorima from fullback to bench utilty.  David Mead from bench utility to Kahu`s wing spot.  :)

Mead will play outside Roberts, any weakness (if any) due to  Kahu`s move from that wing should be minimal. Nikorima as bench utility much better verstility option than Benji.

Plucked chooks tonight??? :devil:

either foxsport`s 5-5.30pm team update got it wrong or Bennett switched again. Either way, I feel Kahu is a better fullback defensive line organiser ( in the defensive 20> try line) than what other choices were available on the night, but in saying that team defence urgency did not appear to be of high priority for the Broncos early in the match, in that area.

16 hours ago, ellicat said:

There's only two results I 'want' - Cows to do the Sharks and Pennies to make Trent Barrett cry.

I wouldn't tip either to happen but would love to see it. Fingers crossed.

I`ve tipped the Cowboys, only in hope though :) (highlight) I`d like to see that :lol:

I`ve gone for Manly (yea I know boo) but Panthers are too unpredictable, so I want them knocked out early :)

6 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Frustrating game if you are a Broncos fan. Despite all the errors and lazy defence they almost pulled it off. Definitely missed Boyd's leadership at the back. Hopefully they will be a lot better next week.

Bennett`s after match comments says it all.

"You watch it, it's pretty easy to see where we went wrong. We were just full of mistakes."……

"Everybody got excited but I didn't get excited because I didn't think we were going to win the game. We just weren't doing enough to win the game," Bennett shrugged.

"We were so far off being what we could be it didn't matter. I don't know how we got to the scoreboard [lead] we got to, to be honest with you."……….

"These guys wouldn't have been in this position if they played like that every week," he said.

"[We need to] come back with a bit more resolution and a bit more commitment. They fixed it up in the game, they turned some things around throughout the game but we weren't consistent enough with it and when we got our defence better our errors started to come in and kill us."

Saturday results

1st QUALIFYING FINAL

STORM (1 ) 18  V  16 EELS (4)

Plenty of momentum shifts in this game, some sloppy play at times, good game. The Storms rest up for week 3 may be interrupted by a few extra Bellamy supervised ball handling skill sessions

2nd ELIMINATION FINAL

SEA EAGLES (6)  10  V  22 PANTHERS (7)

The fans of 15 NRL clubs are cheering Manly`s 1st week demise.

I found this a hard game to get into. I`m not sure that Manly did not make the Panthers look better than the Panthers were. Manly played as they did in the middle of the season, not overly in control of a match plan.

The Panthers play the Broncos next week at Suncorp.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

They can do it! I don't feel quite as confident now... but I hope they can...

:)  that went from a statement, to a prayer fast :lol:

watching the Storm get sucked into playing the Eel`s game strategy, at times, last night does open the door a little if the Broncos can get rid of their handling errors, giving away dumb penalties and stick to game plans.

In the last few games against some of the top 8 sides there were periods of each game the Broncos mentality seemed to be, to play not to lose rather than keep to the plan to win the game. In Thursday nights game, even McGuire appeared at times to be unsure of his own 'bullet proof' mentality and his edge running game was out a touch.

Watching the Broncos in games leading up to the final series, players with good ball handling skills started to drop simple passes, are the mental scars from 2015 GF surfacing in their minds during periods of the games?

end of week 1 Sunday result

1st ELIMINATION FINAL

SHARKS (5)  14  V  15 COWBOYS (8)

WOOHOOO…..  All the shires porch lights are on again :)…. 

playing against an 18 man side at times the Cows have helped the Sharks to a new record, eg 1st 5th placed side in the new finals format to get eliminated in a finals week 1.:lol:  

Gutsy display by the Cowboys over 90 minutes. 2 Qld teams into week 2 :)

GO the QLDers :drooling:  :ausflag:

31 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Awesome win by the Cowboys - brave bu99ers. Not such good news for my brother who has his wedding next Saturday - there might be a few not paying their utmost attention to the wedding speeches ........ ;)

Been to quite a few weddings in my time, and found the speeches don`t vary that much :no:   same lame jokes, same crappy advice offered  ,so don`t feel guilty tuning into the game and tee up someone to keep filling your glass and keeping up a plate for snackies  :lol:

Melbourne game was bloody good if any was going to ruffle them it was the Eels. Bronco's just looked not the goods to start with and they seemed lost at times without structure like they had forgotten the game plan... Need Milf and a few others to remain level headed and focused. 

Cowboy's what a game! How many games have they now won in extra time via field goal. Was time for Morgan to step up and he did. The team just play with guts and are willing to go the extra bit to win which I feel a few teams aren't prepared to do at present. Even without Thurston and Scott they are doing well. Granville, Coote, Hess and Morgan all played solidly! 

The disappointing thing out of the whole weekend was every coach of a losing team blamed the bunker or the refs. Well sorry all year the play Maloney made has been sin binned and penalised. There were that many forward passes by the Roosters that were not called back and many other calls against the winning teams that they didn't complain about. The refs have a been like that all season now for a few in a row. However if you teams didn't play with so many mistakes and dirty tactics you wouldn't have to complain! 

C'mon Cowboys, Broncos and Storm! QLDER all the way! 

Flanagan`s hissy fit:

{"It's disappointing for the game we're talking about this right now, but I had to come and talk about it.} 

http://www.nrl.com/flanagan-hits-out-over-decisions/tabid/10874/newsid/111997/default.aspx

Yep, it was somebody else`s fault you lost, so….   Cry Me a River.
You had your best 17 on the field and bench

You had host game advantage.

You played a team with a poor win record playing at the venue...

You played the team that just got 8th spot.

You played a team with key players out injured.

and

Your completion rate 60% Cowboys 80%.

You missed 34 tackles Cowboys 15.

You made 17 errors Cowboys 10.

You gave away 11 penalties, the Cowboys 5. (law`s of grubbiness and milking, sooner or later it kicks you in the butt.)

You gained less metres, made less line breaks and had less offloads,

You lost, after 90 minutes of football, by 1 point...

23 minutes ago, Gad said:

Flanagan`s hissy fit:

{"It's disappointing for the game we're talking about this right now, but I had to come and talk about it.} 

http://www.nrl.com/flanagan-hits-out-over-decisions/tabid/10874/newsid/111997/default.aspx

Yep, it was somebody else`s fault you lost, so….   Cry Me a River.
You had your best 17 on the field and bench

You had host game advantage.

You played a team with a poor win record playing at the venue...

You played the team that just got 8th spot.

You played a team with key players out injured.

and

Your completion rate 60% Cowboys 80%.

You missed 34 tackles Cowboys 15.

You made 17 errors Cowboys 10.

You gave away 11 penalties, the Cowboys 5. (law`s of grubbiness and milking, sooner or later it kicks you in the butt.)

You gained less metres, made less line breaks and had less offloads,

You lost, after 90 minutes of football, by 1 point...

haha well said. I couldn't watch all of the interview. 

the way a coach with grace and sportsmanship handles a similar situation……

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-lesson-shane-flanagan-can-learn-from-port-adelaide-coach-ken-hinkley-in-losing-gracefully/news-story/c8e68a3973077ce2b59fdeaf837f5ae2

Port Adelaide’s two-point loss also finished in controversial circumstances, with West Coast midfielder Luke Shuey awarded a free kick for receiving a high tackle in the dying moments of the match.

He then converted the goal after the siren to knock Port Adelaide out of the finals.

After the match Hinkley was asked about the free kick.

But the graceful Power coach said it was his side’s inaccurate kicking — not the umpires — that had decided the outcome.

“What do you do other than be disappointed that you’re not continuing on and congratulate the winners?" Hinkley said.

“We didn’t kick straight when we needed to, but the Eagles found a way to win and I give them great credit for being able to do that.”

6 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I'll tip Broncos and Eels to go through. Not that it really matters - Storm will play Roosters in the GF.

Ahhh, @Gad may have just been talking about who will go through this week, in which case there's a decent chance.  I think the Eels would give the Roosters an almighty challenge if they play them.

Archived